AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Follow up on the "hauling landlord's share without CDL"---in Iowa..........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jakescia
Posted 2/11/2011 11:32 (#1607484)
Subject: Follow up on the "hauling landlord's share without CDL"---in Iowa..........

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

Just finished telecon with Iowa DOT Enforcement.

Iowa has same rules as apparently Illinois...............if haul anyone's grain except your own--------you are hauling commercially, and come under all the commercial rules.............license plates, CDLs, etc etc.

HOWEVER............
there is an exception which allows "trading work"  (or whatever the phrase is that is in the law that means the same)...............which would allow a farmer to haul his landlord's grain, or another farmer's grain, as long as there was a bonafide "trading work" agreement in existence.  That allows a non-CDL driver to haul for the neighbor/landlord/whomever.

That "trading work" exemption also exists in the license plate side---------- ie no need to license the truck as commercial, as long as just "trading work".  Therefore, can keep the "farm plates".

The officer indicated that all of this is in the Iowa Trucking Guide----- or whatever the name of that book is.

He also told me................
the 150-mile rule that allows a farmer to go into neighboring state............is not recognized by Nebraska.  I know it is ok in MN, and IL.........not sure about MO.

I will be checking out that rule, however, before going into NE, MN, etc just to make sure..........

Kudos to the Iowa DOT Enforcement---------- I have always received quick and direct info from them.
If you guys are not using them, I suggest you call them with questions.........just very helpful.      800-925-6469.

Edited by jakescia 2/11/2011 11:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)