AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody ever pull a calf with a helicopter?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

supercub
Posted 2/27/2013 16:27 (#2930444)
Subject: Anybody ever pull a calf with a helicopter?

SC Montana where General Custer should've stopped
My twin brother used his Bell JetRanger and his 80 foot long line cable from his Bambi Bucket (water bucket) and a set of obstetric chains and the way he went to pull a calf. This is a real story. Him and my Dad were on a evening cruise through Dads cows in early April a few years back and seen an older cow sitting down on a greasy hillside spread eagle with calf half out and she was out of gas. We were just healing up from a good snow event and chinooking off. It was extremely muddy and Dad calves in about a 9,000 acre pasture with 700 cows so it is handy to fly to see everything at calving time. The cow was about 4 miles from nearest corral and only twenty minutes of light left and could not get around on ground and cow down. He landed about fifty foot away on a little nob and was kinda wobbly. Locked his collective and cyclic and got out and slipped up on the back of the cow as she scooted around and got his chains on the calfs feet and off to the helicopter. My Dad sat put in chopper because he isnt that handy or dont move or get around as gracefully as my Brother does. Brother said he gently got in hover above cow and started to apply some lift ever so gently. He was pulling around 80% torque and that old rip was standing on her nose and side of head when out of nowhere his machine went in the air about 20 feet and he had him a calf swinging under him. It was awesome, my Dad couldn't believe what they had just done. My brother even set the baby gently into my Dads' pickup box with the remote hook setup on the cable. I hope you enjoyed the story and we have never heard of anyone we know who has ever done that before. Afterwards my Brother said if that rip of a cow would have really gotten up and ran around after he got the chains hooked on that calfs feet before he got back in his machine;that she could of raised some real hell with him, a helper would have been much less risky. Hope everyone calving is going well. We are just starting.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)