AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Refurbishing Old Pedal Tractors
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Brian in E Ore
Posted 11/2/2008 22:13 (#496463)
Subject: Refurbishing Old Pedal Tractors

Malheur County Oregon
I rescued a couple of old pedal tractors this summer and I basically need to replace everything but the body itself. Lots of sources online and I can get all the parts thru deere but was wondering if anyone has someone in paticular they had good luck with.

The other thing is has anyone ever fixed up the old tonka stuff.
When I found the old loader, backhoe, and grader it sure brought back a bunch of fun memories for me. I moved a lot of dirt with my tonka stuff back when I was a kid. Also wore out a lot of tires of my pedal tractor.

Edited by Brian in E Ore 11/2/2008 22:15

(PICT0187.JPG)

(PICT0188.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PICT0187.JPG (105KB - 506 downloads)
Attachments PICT0188.JPG (126KB - 502 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rich
Posted 11/2/2008 22:27 (#496483 - in reply to #496463)
Subject: RE: Refurbishing Old Pedal Tractors

Kansas
I rebuilt a tricylce pedal deere like in your picture except a bit older. The one I redid was a 30 series that I got as a kid and worn out and rebuilt it and gave it to mine for a xmas present one year. At the time I merely did a pedal tractor parts search on the net and called a guy in wisconsin and I'll be danged if he didnt' ship me all the parts and then let me send the check so we knew what shipping would be afterwards.

I had some help from a buddy that works in a body shop and he glass beaded the castings and parts for me and also did the painting for me.

The tires come seperate from the wheels. When your ready to put them together make sure you have another set of hands and I'll tell you about the boiling water trick. Works slick on some, others your glad you had another pair of hands to force them on.

That tricycle pedal tractor is an easy rebuild with access to the right stuff and some help.
dutch
Posted 11/2/2008 22:29 (#496486 - in reply to #496463)
Subject: Re: Refurbishing Old Pedal Tractors

West Texas
I restored an all steel JD pedal tractor for my boss a good 9-10 years ago. Got the parts for it from both John Deere and an outfit called Dakotah Toys.
Back then I was more into toy collecting and fabricating and used to get quite a few parts from Dakotah Toys.
JohnKS
Posted 11/2/2008 23:12 (#496524 - in reply to #496463)

Kansas
I used to have all sorts of construction toys and after years of playing with them and them setting outside for years they didn't look too good when I sold them at toy auction years ago. Not sure if it would be more trouble than it's worth to try to paint them up. As to the pedal tractor; few years back neighbor had an old JD pedal that had been sitting out rusting for years and after seeing how much the old ones were worth, I traded him some used disk blades for it and then we went to local deere dealer and they had everything we needed (tires/wheels, pedals), but then he called us and said he was in trouble with his family because he gave it away and asked if he could get it back and said he would pay for the stuff we got, so we gave it back to him, but I don't think they wanted it back for sentimental value (why would they leave it sitting out for 20 years?), I think someone realized what I was going to do with it. Back when I was little we did have a similar JD and a 70's Case pedal tractor. I liked the JD better because it was longer and the front end didn't lift up as I could pedal pretty good with them. If they'd had pedal pulls around here in the 70's I think I'd been pretty good at it. Wish we'd kept the Case as I think it would be worth a bit as they are more rare than the JD's.
Ed Winkle
Posted 11/3/2008 07:27 (#496642 - in reply to #496463)

Martinsville, Ohio
The bodies are harder to paint than older steel farm machinery Brian like that cast aluminum on the Deere showing.

I would talk to someone who does it quite often to get the tips. I am going to a toy tractor meeting for the first time tonight so maybe I can get some pointers.

Some guys really have the knack but I know you can do it too.

I have to attest to your farming abilities, those were some of the prettiest onions I ever saw and that monster you sent! Never saw an onion that big in my life! Hope to get time to refill the box with some of my crop and send them back to ya and see how they compare to the NW.

I need to get a picture and show these guys your crop close up. LuAnn is looking up Bloomin' Onion recipes to try in the fry daddy.

Ed

(Aug 31 2008 088.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Aug 31 2008 088.jpg (61KB - 438 downloads)
ekeller2
Posted 11/3/2008 07:44 (#496656 - in reply to #496642)

So. IL
http://www.easternpedalproducts.com/ is where i got all the parts for mine. I restored a Eska Allischalmers CA that was purchased by my great grandfather and has been in the family ever since. They had everything that I needed.
Brian in E Ore
Posted 11/3/2008 08:52 (#496709 - in reply to #496642)
Subject: Re Ed W

Malheur County Oregon
If you come up with any tips for doing the paint would you please pass them on

Glad you like the onions. When ever we travel I about drive my wife nuts because at any restaurant that serves the blooming onions. I make the poor server go check the sack to see where they came from or I'm looking at onions in the grocery stores. Most onions I see look like what goes out the cull line at packing time.

One piece of advice on doing your own blossoms. Go to a place that serves them. You will stink up your house and the neighbors on each side of you. When the blossom deal first got popular we all tried doing the blossoms and soon discovered that it's better to go buy them already cooked. There are a couple of recipes for baked blossoms that aren't too bad though.
feelnrite
Posted 11/3/2008 09:56 (#496752 - in reply to #496642)

northwest tennessee
How old is the pedal tractor in your pic? I have never seen one like that.
Ed Winkle
Posted 11/3/2008 12:32 (#496837 - in reply to #496752)

Martinsville, Ohio
late 40's? Dressed up wrong, LOL. Ron Lukow has some orignal pics of his...

http://www.toytractortimes.com/tttsubscribe/dgjuly04.htm

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=62670&mid=4418...
Fighting suburbia NC
Posted 11/3/2008 09:14 (#496730 - in reply to #496463)
Subject: Not much help - but just saw this

Too close to Raleigh, NC
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/grd/903095066.html

I dug an old plastic IH pedal tractor out of a junk pile a couple of years ago and gave it to my brother for his son who has Down's. The kid loved it, even though the drive chain would slip off. Brother says he got alot of exercise pushing Alex around on it.

I was in the local Tractor Supply the other day and it amazed me how much farm memorabilia/scale models they have now that wasn't available back when I came along. I do remember the old IH model toy tractors that we were lucky enough to get a few of - wish I still had some of them.
bmcpherson
Posted 11/3/2008 20:24 (#497061 - in reply to #496463)

Brian,

I will be glad to help you out any way possible. Best source for pedal parts at the best prices and availabilty is So Mo farm toy parts. [email protected] 785-667-4297.

Those are both ertl tractors so the tires and wheels will come as one piece so very easy to install. I would suggest every part except casting peices. you need a new crank, chain and rear axles. front axle on the tricycle front looks good as does the steering shaft. the wide front needs a new front axle. Might as well get both rear axles due to sprocket wear.

I have done several restores and if the prices have not just substanially you sould be able to get parts from 100-150.00 shipping included per tractor. might not be quite that high, but i wont miss it by much.
steering wheels 9.00 each
seats 9.00 each
pedals 3.00 per pair
cranks 20.00 each
rear axles 9.00 each
chains 6.00 each
chain guards 10.00 each
hub caps 3.00 per pair
hard ware kits 10.00 each
decals 4020 wide front 20.00 30 series tricycle 12.00

Painting. I would take paint and decal remover to them and then to the pressure washer and wash it all off. Do this twice then get some fine grit sand paper and sand the whole tractor. Hit it with 2 coat of that krylon primer you can use the good stuff but i have had really good luck with this type. let primer cure for 2 days and then hit it with OEM john Deere Ag green 2 or three coats and let cure for 2 days then hit it with a coat of clear coat and you will have a like new restored pedal tractor.

Wish I could help you out on the tonka toys but dont have any experience with them. Ask them at SoMo they might be able to help on those as well.

Brad
Brian in E Ore
Posted 11/3/2008 22:27 (#497219 - in reply to #497061)

Malheur County Oregon
Thanks Brad, I appreciate the info. Gonna call in the morn and get things orderd.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)