AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Who all makes a pickup Flatbed?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Rich
Posted 2/2/2009 11:28 (#593443)
Subject: Who all makes a pickup Flatbed?

Kansas
So far I've seen the Bradford Builts. Those are pretty nice. Looked At hillsboro's. Decent looking. CM, Do not like Pronghorns. think they are a damn ugly bed. Looked over Deweze's. Like those, Hydrabeds flatbeds I don't like. Then the mind goes blank. I'm sure there are alot of other mfg's out there. I'm looking for a steel standard 8' box replacement flatbed to put on a 3/4 ton pickup. I don't mind the snazzy ones but they are going to have to be compareable in price to a plain jane steel one for me to be really interested.

What all do you folks use and like?

Figure I'll call them all for the ones I like and whoever is bottom dollar wins. I'm not interested in under side tool boxes or across the back ones. I do need a decent headache rack and places on the side to hold straps for holding down loads. I do want a recessed 5th wheel ball with a plate over the top. NO hideaways or ones you flip upside down. Lack of use make them a real bear to position how you want down the road. Mudflaps a necessity. I spose other than that it's about all I need.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
WildcatWillie
Posted 2/2/2009 11:30 (#593446 - in reply to #593443)
Subject: RE: Who all makes a pickup Flatbed?

North Central Kansas
Winkel Mfg. near Glen Elder has good beds and I see a lot of them around. Don't know what options you can get on them, however.
B&W from Humboldt, KS, has top-of-the-line beds, but are costly. If money were no object, I'd go that route.
Krogman (sp?) from Sabetha has pretty good beds with bale handlers, if that's what you're interested in.
Rich
Posted 2/2/2009 11:37 (#593453 - in reply to #593446)

Kansas
Yea, I forgot winkel......kinda on purpose........That oil field pipe headache rack doesn't do much for me. LOL.

Got a balebed on one right now. If I found a cheap enough deweze used in good shape I'd peel the arms and hydralic system off of it and use it as is for a flatbed but I don't think that is going to be a fallable tale in the end.

I didn't know about b an w. Does Krogman make a plain ole flatbed too or just the balebeds? Thanks wildcat. I had forgot them.
plowboy
Posted 2/2/2009 18:34 (#593843 - in reply to #593453)

Brazilton KS

What kind of head rack do you want?   I guess I don't see what you are bitching about on the Winkel.

I would like to see a step in the sides to that the headrack conforms more to the shape of the cab, but it seems like nobody does that anymore.    If you will wait for it to be built, I'd bet Winkel would do it. 

Economy Mfg in Sedan is another one which builds quite a few.   I think they are about the cheapest around here. 

http://www.economymfg.com/

Rich
Posted 2/2/2009 18:38 (#593850 - in reply to #593843)

Kansas
Your picture ain't worth a toot even with my glasses on. All the ones I've seen the headache rack is made out of a piece of oil field pipe. In my books......there's nothing about that I find appealing. If I wanted some thrown together cobbled up chunk of iron to bolt behind the cab I can do that in a few hours with scrap around the two farms. If I'm going to spend the money, why not spend a lil more and get something that looks "nice"......... Arguably, that term could significantly mean two different things to you and me, flatbed wise anyhows. We won't get into other subjects. *GRIN*
plowboy
Posted 2/3/2009 03:48 (#594460 - in reply to #593850)

Brazilton KS
It's (I think) 2x3 rectangular tubing hydroformed into roughly the shape of the cab, with louvers or screen over the window.    Looks more-less like a DewEze headrack less the hydraulic reservoir.
cr39
Posted 2/2/2009 13:53 (#593596 - in reply to #593446)

Krogman's by Sabetha, KS are really nice. They are one of the cheaper beds as well (7k-8k). My brother just put one on his Ram and it works really well. The hydraulics are powered off a hydraulic pump on the engine, which is a lot better than battery-powered. I think the arms are built well, but we only have about 1000 lb bales. I think it would hold up well for larger bales, also.
jdflyer
Posted 2/2/2009 12:11 (#593493 - in reply to #593443)
Subject: Re: Who all makes a pickup Flatbed?

Centralia, MO
Don't know if they will have a real simple one but check out www.maxwelltrailers.com/new/truckbeds
ks8780
Posted 2/2/2009 12:39 (#593530 - in reply to #593443)

Jewell County KS
Circle D has flatbeds.......but if they are still making them out of tubing run for the hills.....had 1 lasted 6-7 years before it rotted away.

Have had a couple Jensens from down at Coffeyville that were decent beds for a good price....right now I've got a Bradford built on my 1 ton and it is a sharp bed with a few spots to tie stuff down. I had it about 8 years and the paint is starting to come off. When I got it it was a lot cheaper than a Winkle and a better looking bed I thought.

Edited by ks8780 2/2/2009 22:05
Rich
Posted 2/2/2009 12:41 (#593533 - in reply to #593530)

Kansas
You ain't that far east of me. Who is a bradford dealer for us or did you go to washington to get one?
ks8780
Posted 2/2/2009 13:03 (#593551 - in reply to #593533)

Jewell County KS
I bought mine thru a guy at Oak Ne right before he retired. But I went over to Washington to pick it up. I had mine custom built a little and the guys at Bradford were good to work with.

I can't for the life of me think of where a local dealer would be right now. I'd try 81 traler sales in Hebron NE that is who took over when the guy I got mine from quit.

Naw I'm not to far away from you Rich.....I bet you even know some of my family over that way. The redhead that used to work in the appraisers office in p-burg is my sister in-law and her husband is in the bank there in town.
Rich
Posted 2/2/2009 15:03 (#593658 - in reply to #593551)

Kansas
Why heck yes, I know the both of them and they know me. Got to visit with her some time back and found out where she was from and she grew up on a farm by the town south of you. Real nice gal and he's a real good fella. I like em both. Come to think of it, I think he's even done a lil pheasant hunting on some of my ground.
ks8780
Posted 2/2/2009 15:53 (#593691 - in reply to #593658)

Jewell County KS
Knowing Doug he probably has done some hunting on your place. He's quite the outdoorsmen.

Here's a link to 81 trailer sales if you need it. I've never done any business with him so I have no idea about him. http://www.81trailersales.com/

What about that dude up there east of Kearney........... Mid -States or something like that I bought a cattle trailer from him a few years ago. I bet he sells some flatbeds.

dt4020
Posted 2/2/2009 17:54 (#593779 - in reply to #593691)

Fairbury, NE (Southeast)
Dad had the guy at 81 trailer do a B&W hitch for his pickup they do good work.
srsu99
Posted 2/2/2009 23:48 (#594388 - in reply to #593530)
Subject: what about a low sided service bed....

Central / West Texas
Maybe check koenig or reading they are manufactures I know of that make them.  Sounds like you want this truck to be a service truck where are you gonna put all your tools?
Skipper
Posted 2/2/2009 14:05 (#593607 - in reply to #593443)

I've got a CM on a ton dodge. Its on its second truck here. I think they are a quality bed,good paint (primer under the paint), good metal, lights prewired into the headache rack, clearance lights on the corners(but we are 8' wide so maybe not on narrow???)and as there name says think they will custom build. Ours has short sides so stake pockets to tie down to. We've got the model with the recess/dropped center/trough/what ever you want to call it, from the gooseneck hitch to the rear. Makes for little easier getting unto but I'm not 7' tall either. Our older DMI mounted through the bed frame too. We did add under bed boxes and mud flaps. Suits our needs.

PS another mentioned Maxwell. In the past he has put together some pretty cheap stuff and I'm not talking $$. Thought he was selling another brand as well as the ones he builds but not sure.

Edited by Skipper 2/2/2009 14:08
farmn4nutn
Posted 2/2/2009 14:20 (#593623 - in reply to #593607)

NE KS
I bought a Bradford Built in Aug of 03, just after my pickup got rearended at a high rate of speed. Insurance totaled the pickup, and I buoght the salvage back. Thought the frame was bent, so didn't want to spend much on it. Went to Washington and they had one out back that a dealer sent back with poor paint. $750 for it, so I bought it. Paint went to hell in a hurry, but the bed is good. Still use it every day. They had better paint when Landoll's were powder coating them, but they quit that a couple years ago. Brian NEKS
Jim
Posted 2/2/2009 14:25 (#593626 - in reply to #593443)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I think the first thing to decide is if you want steel or aluminum. If you are looking for bottom dollar and something that will be just used around the farm then steel maybe makes sense.

I have had steel and aluminum trailers and I really hate seeing rust after a couple years. We tend to drive vehicles until the wheels fall off.

I liked what I have seen of the EBY flatbeds at shows. They are made in Story City, Iowa, just north of Des Moines. We're getting 18" tall removeable sides, 5th wheel and tool boxes for straps etc. They have an outside tie down rail as I recall.

We are actually having one put on this week. Looks like one that can be moved from truck to truck for a few life cycles. They have a fifth wheel pocket standard. This is replacing a steel stakebody on an older truck with about 250k miles on it that we are probably selling to an employee.

http://www.mheby.com/truck/flatbed_trucks.php

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 2/2/2009 14:32
Dingaling
Posted 2/2/2009 16:53 (#593731 - in reply to #593626)

Owings, Maryland 38.6856 N 76.6752 W
Well Rich is dead set on a steel bed, thats the only problem. Eby started here in the east around Blue Ball, Pa. I do believe. Been in the business for many years and their products are durable beyond belief, I have seen several beds transferred onto the next truck. They are my only choice, but if a man wants a steel bed, Eby won't be able to help him.

They are durable beds, their prices are in line and you would be challenged to find a used one for sale.. Joe...
circle5ranch
Posted 8/3/2017 07:46 (#6164801 - in reply to #593626)

Western ND
Jim, are you still active on here? Or anyone with an EBY Flatbed for that matter. I'm wondering how they've stood up over the years. I like my Eby stock trailer and need to get a flatbed for my pickup but don't want to get an aluminum if it doesn't stand up. Thanks
old-abe
Posted 2/2/2009 17:44 (#593770 - in reply to #593443)

NW Oklahoma
butler beds in Cherokee OK. best and cheapest around
Rich
Posted 2/2/2009 18:41 (#593854 - in reply to #593770)

Kansas
Yea, but those are bale beds. Not talking those, want a flatbed. Plus, I'd have to argue with you about them being the best. I'm pretty dang fond of my Deweze.
trippjn
Posted 2/2/2009 22:17 (#594243 - in reply to #593854)
Subject: RE: Butler does make a bed without bale spikes.

North Central Oklahoma
Butler does make a bed without bale spikes. And lately I have noticed that they have made some changes to their appearance. As far as a cheaper flat bed, I always thought they were one of the classier looking beds.

Edited by trippjn 2/2/2009 22:17
youngtimer
Posted 2/2/2009 18:30 (#593835 - in reply to #593443)
Subject: http://www.northcoasttruckbody.com/index.html

Just a google search
Greywolf
Posted 2/2/2009 18:37 (#593848 - in reply to #593443)

Aberdeen MS
Not sure on where they are out of, but mine is a Mustang.

Everything on it you are looking for. Won't say the headache rack is what you want....but it's there.

Stack pockets with rub strap .... flips door for the ball (it is recessed....) .. completely wired. 102" X 8'

I got it 3 yrs ago for $1175 cash and carry.

Edited by Greywolf 2/2/2009 18:39

(PU right.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PU right.jpg (74KB - 930 downloads)
ahay68979
Posted 2/2/2009 19:56 (#593984 - in reply to #593848)

Saronville NE
Rich, Ive got a CM on my HD chevy, you saw it in KC. I just bought a used winkle to put on a old 92 chevy. I had a bradford on my 06 Dodge 1 ton, was a very nice bed. Id try Geneva Welding for a Bradford bed. I really like my CM also. The winkle isnt my first choice either, but for the old 92 itll be ok, plus I only gave $250 for it so oh well. Circle D makes a bed also that doesnt look to bad.
Rich
Posted 2/2/2009 19:59 (#593987 - in reply to #593984)

Kansas
I figured if circle D's were anything like thier trailers latch systems I'm just going to leave it alone. Been there done that.

Yea, your bed in KC was pretty slick. As for Winkels. if I found a 250 dollar bed I'd bounce on it too for that sort of money. Holy Cow how do you find these bargains? I'm going to start having you look for me deals. Know of any good used good shape flatbeds up your way for pennies on the dollar like your spending?

Your gonna have to have a class some day for me to attend on how to find bargains. I'm going to go to PB's when it comes to Ebay also.
ahay68979
Posted 2/2/2009 21:02 (#594117 - in reply to #593987)

Saronville NE
LOL Rich, I just asked a neighbor who had a dead 84 ford diesel, if he wanted to sell the flatbed off it he said ya but you gotta take the pu with it, I said ok, well then when I went to get it he had already junked the pu and had the bed off it and wantd the same money, ok with me, I didnt have ti take it off that way. Ive got a couple more spotted around the country from driving around with the grinder, you would be surprised what you see in treelines. GRIN Dad wants me to find him a used one also for his old 92 chevy diesel, box is about rusted off it but hell its got 290k miles on it so dont owe him nothing and still runs good, so if I find a couple in next week or so Ill let ya know.
ks8780
Posted 2/2/2009 22:10 (#594232 - in reply to #593984)

Jewell County KS
Ahay...

Heck you've jogged my memory. I told Rich up above that the bed we had that was made of tubing was a Hillsboro...but it was a Circle D..oops

I went back an edited my post...don't want to give Hillsboro a bad rep.

thanks
myfarm
Posted 2/2/2009 20:01 (#593993 - in reply to #593443)

Why not just build what you want?
Rich
Posted 2/2/2009 20:05 (#593999 - in reply to #593993)

Kansas
Time and you cannot feasibly build a bed at todays steel prices for what you can buy one if you figure your effort is worth anything.

Not to mention, I hate to paint.
Ernie
Posted 2/2/2009 20:36 (#594056 - in reply to #593443)
Subject: Omaha Standard Badger

North End I-15
http://www.omahastd.com/index.php?page=products&id=31

Have two of them on 2 different 1tons. about $1000 ea.
dutch
Posted 2/2/2009 22:44 (#594289 - in reply to #593443)

West Texas

This outfit does a pretty good job Rich.

Gives you an excuse to come to Gods country. lol

And then on your way back you could swing by Harvuskong's place with them straight pipes you should have on that Ford by then. 

http://www.westerndepotinc.com/tb.htm

They built me some side mount tool boxes and are modifying my big heavy Packrat toolbox so it will fit between the side mounts.

tool boxes

Edited by dutch 2/2/2009 23:14
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)