AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cleary Buildings
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

sodman
Posted 10/14/2018 20:09 (#7047137)
Subject: Cleary Buildings

Dennison,MN
I am looking at building a shop and I got a price from Cleary buildings are they good or bad and what are the good and bad companies out there that build pole buildings and ag building .any ideas would be great to add on are a plus. looking at going either 60x 80 with half shop half dry storage or 60 x 50 shop only
Top of the page Bottom of the page
iseedit
Posted 10/14/2018 20:17 (#7047164 - in reply to #7047137)
Subject: RE: Cleary Buildings

central - east central Minnesota -

sodman - 10/14/2018 20:09 I am looking at building a shop and I got a price from Cleary buildings are they good or bad and what are the good and bad companies out there that build pole buildings and ag building .any ideas would be great to add on are a plus. looking at going either 60x 80 with half shop half dry storage or 60 x 50 shop only

Cleary is ok - they have minimum standards to maintain to keep their franchise. Every location is different to meet the minimum building code. Our Twp had a local pole building company put up a 60x80x16 bookshelf side purlins (2x6 spaced every 2ft between columns), 4 ply 2x6 columns, 2ft overhang around the whole building, heavy roof truss's for heavier snow load/wind load and ready for ceiling steel and insulation, plywood on door end for wind shear, 2 - 18x14 high heavy duty insulated garage doors with commercial opener and tyvac under steel - $68000 on our prepared building pad. This building is ready for insulation and concrete, then heat in future.

69roadrunner
Posted 10/14/2018 20:36 (#7047224 - in reply to #7047164)

North of Iowa
If you are buying a premium Cleary building it will match any Morton or like building. Then it will depend on crew putting it up. I would look at recently built sheds by builders crew who ever you buy from. Construction builders are having trouble hiring workers and seems like turn over is a lot. The Cleary building I put up was a better building than my Morton, but due to a better crew.
Herdboar
Posted 10/14/2018 20:29 (#7047202 - in reply to #7047137)

Mankato MN; Casa Grande AZ
My neighbor looked at our multi purpose Morton building before he chose a Cleary for his multi purpose building.

The reason he chose Cleary was for price, not quality.

He had several problems. His crews quit on the company, it was a mess. It took several months from start to finish. I think it took close to a year. But they were quick to get the 3 Cleary cloverleaf emblems up even though it had no walls.

Me, we contacted Morton mid February 2012, hauled in 75 loads of clay and fill, they had it up end of April. He even went down to the county and got my permits while I was down in Florida watching Twins spring training.

A simple task like a machine shed might be easier for them. Wick was overwhelmed with our project, too.

You get what you pay for, good luck!
D&K Farms
Posted 10/15/2018 08:13 (#7047815 - in reply to #7047202)

Northwest Iowa
I would stay away from Cleary... I know of 4 Cleary buildings close to me that have very unsatified owners. I am one of them. Forget about warranty as they have non. Building crews come and go and workmanship is many times poor. Sometimes the buildings are not even square and tin doesn’t fit right. I know of one building a couple rafters broke shortly after building and they did put a new rafter in but it was undersized and they nailed on 2 X2” s on the bottom cord so it wasn’t noticeable. There 29 guage steel dents easily and is weak. I if you were here I could show you some of the problems with these buildings. I replaced the entire roof on a 8 year old 60 X 180 Cleary with 26 guage tin as hail went through Cleary’s steel. The one thing I have noticed on Morton buildings is it seems all workmanship is of excellent quality. If I had it to do over I would have put up a Morten or had a private contractor do it.
jd7520
Posted 10/14/2018 20:55 (#7047268 - in reply to #7047137)

West Central IA
My FIL and I put up a 100 X 54 Cleary a few years back. They did ok but it took a while for them to get it put up. I wanted a quote from them to partition off one end that I would like to seal off from rest of building, insulate and heat for a winter work area. I do nearly all my own repair work and having a warm place would be keen. I have talked to them 2 times this summer about doing this as I know they have the prints and their engineers would do it the way it would need to be done the right way for insurance reasons. Both times was told they do this all the time and would figure it up and get in touch with me. I have yet to hear back and not sure if I would choose a builder who cannot get back to me with a quote on a job that could have been completed during a rain delay. Oh I forgot it hasn't been raining at all this fall.
gilb2you
Posted 10/14/2018 21:14 (#7047313 - in reply to #7047268)

NE mt
Ive had two cleary buildings put up, I had to turn one into a heated shop, ive been happy so far, the price is right, and they got them done in a timely manner, im sure that depends on the crew and the salesman, check some out and go from there.
Pvafarm
Posted 10/14/2018 21:51 (#7047399 - in reply to #7047137)

Southeast WI
We have two of them - Clearys. Builder is good and reliable here and they have good crews to tap into. Had one in 2006 and one in 2012 put up. Due for more by adding on to the 60*90. They will get the nod again.

I would put up a shop separate from a storage shed. 60*60 would be a good size for a shop. Put your big door (30' wide I hope) offset to one of the gable sides so you have plenty of room on the side for fabrication, tools, loft or whatever. Of course a much bigger shop would be wonderful but really ask yourself what you'll do in there.
5 Head
Posted 10/14/2018 22:05 (#7047428 - in reply to #7047399)

South West MN
I have a buddy in the business, claims every farmer is an expert on one thing. The price.

What kind of steel, snow loads, windows and doors? A lot of them look the same from the outside but there is big difference in quality.

I would higher a local contractor and local lumber yard (not Menards). Won’t cost anymore.
JRthefarmer
Posted 10/15/2018 09:36 (#7047989 - in reply to #7047428)

SESD

Companies in the business are also very good at cutting quality to minimums in as many ways as possible to keep the price down while trying to keep an image that their name means something more than "menards" or whoever.  Who is going to decide what materials they want besides the person writing the check? Best thing is to compare yourself and make yourself qualified to know what you want and are willing to pay for. 

Crew makes a huge deal.  Can have all the best materials and have a problem building.  Can use mediocre materials and have a great building.

PeteMN
Posted 10/14/2018 21:59 (#7047416 - in reply to #7047137)

E.Central MN
No matter who you get the quotes from, compare them closely. Seems that no matter how many times you explain what you want the sales guys will always write up something different/or leave something out. Wasn't impressed with Cleary or the local lumber yard either, but some guys buy their buildings.
Gerald J.
Posted 10/14/2018 22:04 (#7047426 - in reply to #7047416)

I've asked for certain side wall door height and stupid sales types have quoted that height for eaves which doesn't work because the roof trusses need a serious beam over the door raising the eave height a couple feet higher than the door height. A door that won't clear the top of a piece of machinery makes a building far less useful than you ever want.

Gerald J.
PeteMN
Posted 10/14/2018 22:39 (#7047463 - in reply to #7047426)

E.Central MN
Yup, had that same conversation with a sales guy or two. The Morton salesman suggested we put the doors on the end because the roof trusses could support the door track without a header, and said it would cost less that way. But at the same time they use a different truss to get the inside height so they actually get by with shorter walls, not exactly the same apples to apples comparison with the other buildings.
paul the original
Posted 10/14/2018 22:53 (#7047483 - in reply to #7047463)

southern MN
Morton scissors truss’ seem like a good idea, I have a 15 foot 9 inch door with 15 foot sidewalls. The 15 foot sidewall can use a smaller column than a 16 foot wall, so the whole deal saves money, assuming a 15 to 15-3/4 foot height works it’s a good thing. He wanted to sell me a 14 foot eve, I wasn’t comfortable with that tho I’d been dealing with a ‘big shed’ with an 11 foot high door before this.

The local Cleary dealer did not impress me at all several years ago, I agree it comes down to the local sales and crew on most any of these national builders.

Paul

Edited by paul the original 10/14/2018 22:54
PeteMN
Posted 10/15/2018 10:57 (#7048150 - in reply to #7047483)

E.Central MN
We talked to several of the national builders, price was about the same when the bid was for the same apples to apples building. I don't think Morton uses an extra stick of lumber in their buildings, but it doesn't take much looking around at 20 year old buildings to see a difference.
Gerald J.
Posted 10/14/2018 22:01 (#7047419 - in reply to #7047137)

I've seen reports that Cleary tend to be weak compared to Iowa standards for surviving snow loads and wind loads. Even to the point claimed that some municipalities banned Cleary buildings.

I'd say look at other, figure Morton to be the most expensive. My second building that is doing very well is a Wick.

Gerald J.
jdironman
Posted 10/14/2018 22:29 (#7047450 - in reply to #7047419)

Nw Iowa
For what it is worth most salesman start out with a pretty bear bones building. I always up snowload and narrow pole spacing. It is amazing how far a extra 5000 will go to make a bulletproof building.
garvo
Posted 10/15/2018 06:31 (#7047627 - in reply to #7047137)

western iowa,by Denison
we ended up building are own- most companys do not use 1/2 inch bolts -structural screws and ring shank nails-they use air nailers that only use 3inch nails-you can usually buy all the materials at 1/2 of what the building cost and up the wood and rafters for about 10% more=

I would build the shop separate-and like a longer building not as wide-a 50 x 80 would in my eyes be better then a 60x60

Love building on a stem wall- lot of machine shed company's don't
ECIAfarmer
Posted 10/15/2018 09:28 (#7047968 - in reply to #7047627)

East Central Ia, S. Waterloo
I have a 48x90 put up probably 20+ years ago, and a 60x80 I put up 3yrs ago. The 60x80 sure seems to have a lot more room for maneuvering equipment around. I was told the 60ft rafters give you the best bang for your buck as well.
boakfarms
Posted 10/15/2018 07:03 (#7047666 - in reply to #7047137)

New Castle, PA
We have put up 2 buildings in the last few years , 48x104 and 66x120. We priced Cleary, Morton, and Borkholder. We went with a local independent contractor both times,, same people everyday from start to finish. This includes cement work , plumbing, electrical, overhead doors, no sub-contractors for anything. We are planning a 3rd building next year, will probably not even price Cleary, Morton , or anyone else.
Anderson Farms
Posted 10/15/2018 09:49 (#7048011 - in reply to #7047137)

MN
Have had good luck with Lester Buildings. Great group of workers when they come out to put it up. I think they are all good buildings if they all meet code

Edited by Anderson Farms 10/15/2018 09:53
RealFarmer
Posted 10/15/2018 11:49 (#7048240 - in reply to #7047137)

Only as good as the crew, but you still have less wood in the building. Run don't ....all the cleary buildings blew down 2 yrs ago when the winds came through. All other brands still standing. Way less lumber and cheap price....Morton...the last one we just built was a custom from local lumber yard and private crew whom we are friends with..
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)