AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

7720 primary countershaft bearing clutch side
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

rcfarm
Posted 8/26/2017 20:10 (#6211922)
Subject: 7720 primary countershaft bearing clutch side

I have the machine in the shop, and have replaced all the belts on the left side of the machine. Doing the 50 hour service on the multi zerk I just discovered the Left Countershaft Bearing, (top zerk) is not taking grease. The separator has not been operated since last year, and all bearings were greased last fall.

I could swear I would have noted an issue such as a bearing not taking grease last fall. I hate like hell to disassemble this again. Am idiot for not checking before belt assembly.

Thoughts?? Will the bearing perhaps take grease after running a bit? Am using Milwaukee 12 v grease gun, the grease gun fitting is not as tight on the zerk as I would like, cannot keep it on with pressure. Need a new gun fitting, and will replace the zerk also. maybe get lucky.

I would like to thank the OHIO 7720 gurus for e mail help on the separator belt replacement. Did not go too bad. You guys know who you are, and you are amazing.

For the belt replacement I spent the $110 for the special wrench for hydraulic oil pump removal, still did not get it loose! Drained the Hydraulic Reservoir and took the hoses off. not too messy.

Worst part was the Unloading Auger belt guide, the bottom bolt had to be removed to get the belts on. I will replace with a slightly longer bolt! that is all i have that is difficult to get to.

I hate to undo all the work, but will if required. What would you do if it was your machine? (3400 hours)

Thanks in advance, Kevin n9ke
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ccjersey
Posted 8/26/2017 20:17 (#6211933 - in reply to #6211922)
Subject: RE: 7720 primary countershaft bearing clutch side

Faunsdale, AL
Try new coupler on the gun! If that doesn't work, remove the fitting and see if its clogged and clean out the hole in the housing with a drill bit. After that I would just run it and keep an eye on it.
Von WC Ohio
Posted 8/26/2017 20:35 (#6211986 - in reply to #6211922)

Check the hose from the zerk bank to the bearing. Sometimes old grease can get hard and block the hose/passage.

Sorry to hear the tool did not work those pumps can get incredibly tight especially if not removed for a long time. you did the right thing rather than risk breaking it off.

Also a good time to grease the intermediate cylinder drive.

It's described in this reply.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=583316&posts=1#M4817288

As a reply in this thread

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=583316

Which points to an earlier discussion by Lil Hoss.

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=62445&=1#M440409

The manuals are not clear on this procedure and it must be done with cylinder at maximum speed.

Here is the associated pic and the procedure from a later series book.

Turbo 8820
Posted 8/26/2017 20:53 (#6212034 - in reply to #6211922)

S.E. Washington
That bearing might take grease after running a bit. It relies on grease going around the bearing and finding a couple little holes to get into the bearing, so it's easily possible it's stopped up with hard grease. I'd loosen all the belts and pry up and sideways on that shaft and check for play in the bearing or housing before heading to the field.
CornFed13
Posted 8/26/2017 21:13 (#6212084 - in reply to #6212034)

Pickens
Concur, The Grove in the housing, to allow the grease to find the two opposing 180° holes, may have become hard...from heat, time, or as mentioned, a hole in the "hose" from the grease bank...not getting grease that often.

I might try injecting varsol (mineral spirits), blowing with air gun, heating with heat gun, repeat...
But I think with the cost of parts/labor/our time...just fix it...
It really isn't that bad...after that first time, you'll find that "tearing it apart" gets much easier,...you have done it before!

Good Luck,

CF

PS: Smooth Feeding after building that side of the combine, w/ belts bearings, seems to last a long time.

Edited to Add>>The pump shaft...many of us, deere mechanics, use 2 methods.
A Very Good Adjustable, slight tight to "drive" on the shoulder, or very good end wrench (snap On?)...
Heat the shaft with simply blue propane torch, 10 seconds or so...dry no lube now...and Smack the wrench.
Comes loose every time...

Edited by CornFed13 8/26/2017 21:16
rcfarm
Posted 8/26/2017 22:21 (#6212249 - in reply to #6212084)

CornFed13 I did not consider heating the pump shaft. Should have! General fear of the fire around and old combine thing!

Von, printed off that other end grease instruction sheet earlier this evening. Thanks again for your assistance.

CC thanks for the thought

Turbo, I did think to try to move things around without the belts, there was no play in the system. Thanks sir.

I will try to force grease into it with new fittings.

I really would like a couple of hours in a locked room with the team that designed the left side of this machine!. Cannot complain, has been trouble free for the 15 years we have owned it.

Thanks all

Kevin
phishstik
Posted 8/27/2017 09:54 (#6212784 - in reply to #6212249)

Eastern ON
How fast can you remove your seat from the combine now?
sri
Posted 8/26/2017 23:05 (#6212316 - in reply to #6211922)

nw pa
the bright side is that as long as it's not taking any grease the bearing shouldn't be loose in the holder/. Usually what happens is it takes grease okay but it is coming out the side of the holder ,which is not tight to the bearing. i would do as others suggested.. try to clean the hole,by taking out fitting,making sure grease gets to the holder. Then maybe try after running.to get it greased.
we lost a bearing on the other side with the fitting and tube.. when it finally quit the pile of grease on the back of the bearing was a good pile... The tube had broke and nobody reached around the pulley to ever check it.
Beerslayer
Posted 8/27/2017 00:56 (#6212389 - in reply to #6211922)

I had a similar issue last year with my backhoe, and fittings not taking grease. I pulled the offending zerks, cleaned out the holes, put in new fittings, tried my fancy new thing that you fill with ATF and Acetone and hit with a hammer, none of that worked. I didn't have time to pull the pins and clean everything out so I called a neighboring mechanic that works on logging equipment all the time. He called me back a day later and said that all the fittings on my backhoe took grease, he greased the whole thing. So WTF? He laughed and said I needed a new grease gun. I was using a Lincoln hand pump, and a Dewalt battery powered gun. Neither would put grease through those fittings. He said that I needed a high pressure grease gun and that he had seen this issue many times. So I got on Amazon and found a Alemite gun that was rated at high pressure output. Couple of days later I had it, and;;; it worked just like he said it would.

I'd been greasing farm and industrial equipment for 46 years and had never heard of this until now. Hope this helps. Internet is painfully slow here or I'd post a link to the gun I bought. If there's interest, I'll do it when I get back to the city.
CornFed13
Posted 8/27/2017 11:53 (#6212977 - in reply to #6212389)
Subject: RE: Yep, Alemite All the Way...PIC

Pickens

Napa use to exclusively sell red handled badged Alemites...mine is 20 plus years old...

Good Luck,

CF

Alemite 500E @ the Hardware Store in the Sky

Edited by CornFed13 8/27/2017 15:45

(500E.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 500E.jpg (9KB - 30 downloads)
rcfarm
Posted 9/2/2017 20:02 (#6225291 - in reply to #6212977)

Hey Guys, an update.
Went to a local industrial supplier and explained my issue. $8 for a new 4 jaw tip that he said he would buy back if it did not work. He supplied me with a few "matching" zerks.
Replaced the zerk, installed the tip on the Milwaukee cordless gun and my prayers were answered. Just took grease like normal, no sound from the gun like it was straining.
I had the heat gun ready to use if it did not work. And I was prepared to disassemble.

In response to a question, the two cotter pins holding the seat can be removed in two minutes, and the seat placed upon the top of the cab in one straining minute!

Thanks to all, have everything assembled now awaiting hydraulic fluid.

This site is wonderful!
Turbo 8820
Posted 9/3/2017 09:02 (#6226016 - in reply to #6225291)

S.E. Washington
Good to hear!
CornFed13
Posted 9/3/2017 14:13 (#6226466 - in reply to #6225291)
Subject: RE: Yep, Alemite All the Way...PICs

Pickens
Very Good, Glad for you,...

Is this something like what he sold you?

Just curious if there is something else that may help all of us...these work pretty good If I need it...Got two...rarely use the one though.

Good Luck, Happy Harvesting,

CF

(Lock_Lube.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Lock_Lube.jpg (116KB - 24 downloads)
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)