AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What about Triticale for cover vs rye or wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

AR Plowboy
Posted 4/9/2017 07:51 (#5953266)
Subject: What about Triticale for cover vs rye or wheat

East Central Arkansas

Post down below a ways was talking about cereal rye vs wheat. I know back several years ago there was some being used around here and we used some when we did some cover crops. Wouldn't you get the best traits from both rye and wheat?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Blusteryknollfarm
Posted 4/9/2017 08:17 (#5953335 - in reply to #5953266)
Subject: RE: What about Triticale for cover vs rye or wheat

North Central Illinois
I have 20 acres of triticale that I drilled after baling corn stalks. My plan is to bale it for feed before planting soybeans. The better feed quality is my main reason for planting it instead of rye. I should go out and dig a few root balls up to compare to the rye. Top growth isn't much different so far.
greasegun
Posted 4/9/2017 08:40 (#5953381 - in reply to #5953266)

W.C. Mo.
I seeded 500 bu (50-70#/acre), Good stand everywhere with excellent stooling. Every time the daytime temps got up to 40 the stuff would green back up. Fed very few bales this winter For strictly a cover 20-30# seeded would be enough. Thank you Jon(in N Mo).
nuked
Posted 4/9/2017 20:21 (#5954435 - in reply to #5953266)

Been planting for 5 years. Been happy till now. A lot winter killed this year. Rye is tougher for sure but triticale is higher quality feed
ocfarms
Posted 4/10/2017 06:53 (#5954959 - in reply to #5953266)

Kankakee, IL
When used as a cover only and not for forage I didn't like it. The top growth formed more of a bunch type grass than either the wheat or rye. This larger bunch caused more planter box hop when planting directly into the cover. Definitely was beautiful looking cover for foraging though. I typically plant soybeans at 5.5-6.0 mph with a Kinze planter and slowing down 1mph was more than I was willing to give for the triticale.

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)