AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need Dixie Chopper mower deck help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

IowaMark
Posted 4/1/2017 08:00 (#5937288)
Subject: Need Dixie Chopper mower deck help

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
I was wondering if anyone on here has ever worked on the deck of a Dixie Chopper mower deck? I special ordered the main idler arm and pulley assembly for the three main blade drives on a 60" deck. I didn't tear into until after 6:00 last night night and I can't get the main allen head bolt lose the idler pivots on. I'm using a regular hex socket on a 3/8" drive ratchet that has an extendable handle so have good leverage. I didn't try putting any heat to it yet in case I'm not doing something right. I can't talk to the mower dealer until Monday as they are closed on weekends this time of year.

Pictures kind of show you the location of idler and the allen socket on the Allen bolt. Not the best pictures but hard to get a good picture.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Mark

(IMG_7657.JPG)

(IMG_7661.JPG)

(IMG_7662.JPG)

(IMG_7664.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_7657.JPG (87KB - 301 downloads)
Attachments IMG_7661.JPG (128KB - 299 downloads)
Attachments IMG_7662.JPG (81KB - 276 downloads)
Attachments IMG_7664.JPG (128KB - 295 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dave Cen.Ia
Posted 4/1/2017 08:24 (#5937334 - in reply to #5937288)
Subject: RE: Need Dixie Chopper mower deck help

Nevada, Iowa
I can't help but wish I could. They look like a good mower. I would like to say thanks for the o ring help from last week on the pioneer couplers. Your part number solved my problem. Good luck
gene_champ
Posted 4/1/2017 08:25 (#5937335 - in reply to #5937288)

NC Iowa
IowaMark - 4/1/2017 08:00

I was wondering if anyone on here has ever worked on the deck of a Dixie Chopper mower deck? I special ordered the main idler arm and pulley assembly for the three main blade drives on a 60" deck. I didn't tear into until after 6:00 last night night and I can't get the main allen head bolt lose the idler pivots on. I'm using a regular hex socket on a 3/8" drive ratchet that has an extendable handle so have good leverage. I didn't try putting any heat to it yet in case I'm not doing something right. I can't talk to the mower dealer until Monday as they are closed on weekends this time of year.

Pictures kind of show you the location of idler and the allen socket on the Allen bolt. Not the best pictures but hard to get a good picture.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Mark

wow mark, i admire your ambition starting a project at 6pm on a friday night.

i would think there would be constant action of the belt tensioning idler arm. i can see that working loose. is it possible that red locktite was used on it? if so, some heat is necessary to release it. some heat may help anyway, i wouldn't be afraid of it (within reason). might want to move the belt out of the way first.

we must be on the same page with mowers. i bought a oil filter yesterday, and plan on changing oil today. i also bought a used bush hog finish mower at an auction. i am now trained on how to rebuild a 'field ready' mower.

bellyacre
Posted 4/1/2017 08:32 (#5937346 - in reply to #5937288)

SWMN
Can you get an impact driver on it. The vibration might help more than brute force.
EquipmentUser
Posted 4/1/2017 08:41 (#5937361 - in reply to #5937288)

KY
What does it thread into, the top of the deck or is there possibly a lock not on the underside? Try smacking it on the sides with a hammer while trying to loosen it. If that doesn't work then I would say heat will be the next choice.
IowaMark
Posted 4/1/2017 09:33 (#5937477 - in reply to #5937288)

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
I figured it out after closer inspection this morning. There is a lock but under the deck. Bad thing it's right under a grass deflector shield. What a dumb place to put a nut. I can't reach the top and bottom at the same time so will have to wait until later in the day when my wife will be available to hold one of them for me. Thanks for the suggestions.

(IMG_7666.JPG)

(IMG_7668.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_7666.JPG (186KB - 250 downloads)
Attachments IMG_7668.JPG (92KB - 231 downloads)
4WD
Posted 4/1/2017 09:49 (#5937507 - in reply to #5937477)

Between Omaha and Des Moines, 7 miles South of I80

Hopefully, you squirt a bunch of penetrating oil, on top and bottom, while you wait for her to get home. (may help)

dvswia
Posted 4/1/2017 10:42 (#5937600 - in reply to #5937477)

sw corner ia.
weld that nut to the deck underneath, then weld a short piece of pipe that is plugged over the nut so you can fill it with grease from above. it will be easy to repair next time.

Edited by dvswia 4/1/2017 10:43
4WD
Posted 4/1/2017 11:26 (#5937657 - in reply to #5937477)

Also, don't forget your safety jack stands (when you start tugging on those wrenches) = we've had a couple farmers die, in the last 20 years, from lawn mowers falling on them.

Edit: Dad is really good about, using jack stands, when he cleans and scrapes the underside of his Dixie Chopper.

Edited by 4WD 4/1/2017 11:28
IowaMark
Posted 4/1/2017 14:57 (#5937978 - in reply to #5937657)

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
Yes excellent advice, I always have a come along and jack on the under side when working under that deck. I wish it would do what the Grasshopper does and have a fold up deck.

(IMG_7674.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_7674.JPG (135KB - 288 downloads)
Buster 50
Posted 4/1/2017 10:13 (#5937539 - in reply to #5937288)

North West IA/western AZ
What was the original problem? A bad arm, or is the pulley shot? Will there be time to fix it before the dance? Karen is not going to want to get dirty before the dance. Good luck by the way! d;-)
IowaMark
Posted 4/1/2017 15:02 (#5937988 - in reply to #5937539)

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
Bushing out on pivot brace. Figured I'd just replace it all new as long as I'm tearing it apart. First one lasted 9 years so should be the last time I need to change it again.

We never even got to it today:-(. She was busy cooking pies and stuff for church tomorrow so
I kept busy doing other things. Monday is another day :-).

Edited by IowaMark 4/1/2017 15:04
CRJ
Posted 4/1/2017 16:32 (#5938101 - in reply to #5937988)

NEIN
I did mine and the new one doesn't use a Allen head just a regular bolt style head. I drilled my new pivot and put a grease zerk in it before I put it back on. That arm doesn't move much but it is constantly moving a little when the blades are running. The old ones rust up and turn the bolt instead on pivoting on the bushing part.
DRester
Posted 4/1/2017 16:34 (#5938110 - in reply to #5937288)

Franklinton, LA
I appreciate your posting the solution for your problem. My Dixie Chopper #2750 silver Eagle is about 4 years old so at some point I will probably have the same problem. This week I replaced the spring on the mower deck idler pulley for the second time. This spring seems to stretch.

Have you had problems with the nut on top of the blade spindles coming loose when you try to remove the blades? I ended up putting 1" - NF hex jam nuts on the three blade spindles. Now the bolt on the bottom of the spindle comes loose when I remove the blades. Well, if I was a "BTO" and had an impact wrench this would not have been a problem.
IowaMark
Posted 4/2/2017 07:48 (#5939073 - in reply to #5938110)

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
DRester - 4/1/2017 16:34

I appreciate your posting the solution for your problem. My Dixie Chopper #2750 silver Eagle is about 4 years old so at some point I will probably have the same problem. This week I replaced the spring on the mower deck idler pulley for the second time. This spring seems to stretch.

Have you had problems with the nut on top of the blade spindles coming loose when you try to remove the blades? I ended up putting 1" - NF hex jam nuts on the three blade spindles. Now the bolt on the bottom of the spindle comes loose when I remove the blades. Well, if I was a "BTO" and had an impact wrench this would not have been a problem.

Darryl I haven't had trouble with either of these problems your describing. I still have the original springs on all of the machine and mine is 9 years old now. Other then the blades I've only replaced on deck blade bearing 3-4 years ago and did have to replace the hour meter this spring along with this idler issue I'm working on. I put on average about 75 hours a year give or take just depending on the rains.

I stand corrected I forgot I had to replace the engine right out the get go with less then one hour on it. When my dealer delivered it it was really smoking and I commented on it to him and he just said it would stop shortly. Yeah it stopped all right the motor blew up, I forgot now what it was but something inside the engine went bad and they put a brand new engine in it. I have never had a lick of problem with the current engine.
4WD
Posted 4/15/2017 17:27 (#5964393 - in reply to #5937288)

Well, Mark, if you see this,

I just finished mowing with Dad's Dixie Chopper and when blowing it off and scraping the underside of deck; I noticed the idler was cocked and belt running uneven in pulley. Sure enough, bushing stuck to "shoulder bolt" and nut coming loose under deck.

The original "bolt hole" , in deck, for that shoulder bolt, doesn't look too bad, so just some new parts (bolt, bushing, nut, spring) should fix this one.

{Note: Bushing seized onto shoulder bolt, once removed, I tapped out bushing with seized bolt, together as a unit, from the "press-fit" of the idler arm.}

Question: If you got a new idler arm, Did it come with a grease fitting? (maybe an updated part or something) Thanks.

Edited by 4WD 4/15/2017 17:27
CRJ
Posted 4/18/2017 05:58 (#5968721 - in reply to #5964393)

NEIN
Mine new one did not have a zerk but we drilled it and put one in.
4WD
Posted 4/18/2017 09:49 (#5969066 - in reply to #5968721)

Thanks,

I ordered parts yesterday, and the parts guy told me that there wasn't any update or grease zerq.

May have to modify the original bracket/bushing.

Edited by 4WD 4/18/2017 09:50
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)