AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AV Spare
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

forget
Posted 3/6/2017 16:32 (#5881924)
Subject: AV Spare

eastern sd
When I search for parts on google I often get results from a website called AV Spare. I'm not sure what they do but they always have images of the most obscure things that I look up, they seem to also have shop manual excerpts that are often applicable to my situation but they are greyed out and they want you to register or sometimes download the file. I think this website originates outside the USA and I'm not sure if its legitimate or some kind of scam or a way to download a virus, has anybody used It or know anything about it?

Example: https://avspare.com/catalog/cat/content/i01357528/
Top of the page Bottom of the page
pgarnett
Posted 9/4/2017 19:10 (#6228791 - in reply to #5881924)
Subject: RE: AV Spare

AVSpare.com appears to be a Russian website that has put up a whole bunch of parts and technical manuals for U.S. machinery. I don't know if anyone has ever ordered from them - and I certainly will never do so myself. I suspect that the site exists to gather personal information from unsuspecting equipment repair folks who are looking for obscure parts.

The domain registration details for "avspare.com" show that it was created in 2015 by a service ("Whois Privacy Corp.") in the Bahamas that specializes in hiding the true ownership of internet domains. The website's server is controlled by a company somewhere in Germany. The DNS (domain name server) details for "avspare.com" show that all email about the domain get sent to "mx.yandex.ru" - a Russian email server. The DNS servers themselves are virtual servers provided by "cloudflare.com" which means they could be run by anybody from anywhere. Just about everything about "avspare.com" is suspicious.

Bottom line: Be very careful (paranoid) about using the "avspare.com" website. Have your computer's and browser's antivirus settings set as high as possible if/when you visit. If you do "register" consider using fake identification and a temporary, disposable email address.

09/04/17 16:42:20 dns avspare.com
Mail for avspare.com is handled by mx.yandex.net mx.yandex.ru
Canonical name: avspare.com
Addresses:

WHOIS details (excerpted)

09/04/17 16:42:18 whois [email protected]
Checking server [whois.tldregistrarsolutions.com]
Domain Name: AVSPARE.COM
Registry Domain ID: 1953957974_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN

Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.tldregistrarsolutions.com
Registrar: TLD Registrar Solutions Ltd.

Registrant Name: Domain Admin
Registrant Organization: Whois Privacy Corp.
Registrant Street: Ocean Centre, Montagu Foreshore, East Bay Street
Registrant City: Nassau
Registrant State/Province: New Providence
Registrant Postal Code:
Registrant Country: BS
Registrant Phone: +1.5163872248
Registrant Email: [email protected]

Name Server: naomi.ns.cloudflare.com
Name Server: walt.ns.cloudflare.com
DNSSEC: unsigned

URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/
Last update of WHOIS database: 2017-09-04T23:35:36Z <<<
Results brought to you by the GeekTools WHOIS Proxy
Server results may be copyrighted and are used with permission.
Your host (206.212.227.114) has visited 1 times today.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)