AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Belt Trailer - Manure Hauling
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

mac050
Posted 3/4/2016 20:22 (#5155693)
Subject: Belt Trailer - Manure Hauling

EC Illinois
We are looking to haul some dairy manure to one of our fields and have never done this previously (hiring custom spreader for now). The manure analyses have shown anywhere between 20% and 30% solids from the locations we would source. We are going to begin with utilizing a dump trailer but are worried about the tip-over risk going forward. We would like to purchase a used, lower cost belt trailer. I have read elsewhere on this forum that the Trinity Eagle Bridge trailers would be the most suitable. During my initial searches I have run across numerous advertisements for asphalt trailers (e.g. Flow Boy CB4000 http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6278875) that are considerably lower in cost. I realize these may not be the first choice, but would they be suitable for the job? What are the bare minimum design/specs for a manure trailer? What other recommendations would you have for keeping the investment low on a belt floor trailer? I would love to be able to haul rock as well since manure is not an everyday task. Thank you in advance.

Edited by mac050 3/4/2016 20:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BryceH
Posted 3/4/2016 20:59 (#5155779 - in reply to #5155693)
Subject: RE: Belt Trailer - Manure Hauling

Nunn CO
I'm not overly familiar but will that hold water? At 20-30% solid you will pretty much be haling thick water I believe. I used to get 15% and it pretty much just looked like brown water with no notable solids in it.

mac050
Posted 3/4/2016 21:10 (#5155808 - in reply to #5155779)

EC Illinois
There are notable solids but obviously a good deal of slop. Haven't hauled any yet to have firsthand experience. Not sure on these asphalt trailers with that much liquid... would love to learn from someone that know more than me.

Edited by mac050 3/4/2016 21:19
mx0603
Posted 3/4/2016 21:30 (#5155861 - in reply to #5155808)

north west ohio
I do the same thing as u are going to do and I use a dump trailer. It slides right out. No worry of tipping over. I trashed a belt trailer I'm one year rusted chain out and leaked all the time. Also can't haul rock in a belt
ge jr
Posted 3/4/2016 21:48 (#5155894 - in reply to #5155861)

algona iowa
If its as wet as you claim forget the belt idea. Hauling manure that wet is a challenge down the road in any trail end dump or side dump if a car pulls out and you hit the brakes hard manure comes out of trailer and is on the cab of the truck now the tarp is ruined and you have a spill.
Trey8650
Posted 3/4/2016 21:49 (#5155895 - in reply to #5155861)

Stafford County, Kansas
Yes you can. We have hauled rock in our Wilson last 4 years. We haul everything from grain to ground hay in ours and really like it. It should seal alright for that kind of manure but we haven't tried that sloppy of crap.

(IMG_20160303_173954578.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_20160303_173954578.jpg (353KB - 150 downloads)
Sodbustr
Posted 3/5/2016 07:35 (#5156352 - in reply to #5155895)

Western Iowa
You for sure can haul rock. And lime. And chicken litter.

The guy that hauls for me has brought lots of loads here. He won't haul over 2" though, doesn't want any dings in the trailer from a rammy pay loader operator at the quarry....
Angus8335
Posted 3/5/2016 07:35 (#5156351 - in reply to #5155693)

Galena IL
I have a Trinity Belt trailer and have hauled dairy mature you have to be careful where you stop the belt and make sure the front flap is down the bad part is some manure sticks to the belt and it will coat the trailer undercarriage and the tractor undercarriage. It's a day cleanup job with the pressure washer also gets the brake chambers. I went and bought a dump trailer. Dennis
BOGTROTTER
Posted 3/5/2016 08:31 (#5156466 - in reply to #5156351)

Kingston,Mi
A beef feeder in Bad Axe Mi. runs several Red River style asphalt belt trailers equipped with hydraulic driven spinners to apply manure from a his slatted feeder barns. That product is quite wet, applies it just in front of (2) tractors pulling 7 bottoms each. The tractors wait until the next truck brings more manure. These would be the infamous 8 axle Michigan trailers pulled by retired GMC cab over Astro style tractors on Trelleborg super single drives.

I have been to his place for engineering on a separate opportunity, never discussed his set-up, but have been past his farm when he was hauling and never seen manure on the pavement.
T800
Posted 3/5/2016 10:11 (#5156684 - in reply to #5155693)

Lee Co
trinity makes both a steel and a Stainless Steel belt trailer. most of the painted ones are mild steel and the SS are natural color. They will NOT seal as well as an end dump we have hauled sweet corn silage with a trail of water behind. No issues with wet DDG's , haul a lot of stone with them, lime, grain, ... ,and they have belt widths of 3',4' even 6'. Most blacktop belts are one piece and not segments on a chain and also only 30" wide.
durallymax
Posted 3/5/2016 11:39 (#5156820 - in reply to #5155693)

Wi
Low cost and belt don't really go together.

Some of the ag style segmented belts (Trinity, Trail King Hi-Lite, Aulick, Wilson, etc) can seal up good enough for wet distillers or brewers grains, but those are usually still over 30%. I've hauled some partially drained sweet corn waste with ours and the juice still seeps out, not a significant amount, but I did get caught parked waiting for a train on a hill and then it started a nice little stream. The design of them doesn't allow for a perfect watertight seal, and they make aess when unloading as they always carry some around with the belt and slobber over the trailer axles and truck axles. Depending on the design, they will buildup over the 5th wheel as well. I drop ours off once a year to clean it all out. You can haul rock in them if you want, I haven't hauled over 3/4 though. With high sides, it's a long drop, and with a side to side tarp, there's a point where pivoting bows would be needed.

Since you aren't planning to haul any high cube/Low density products, you don't have a need for one of those styles really. An aggregate/asphalt type would probably work, the only downside is that they do not have a very large capacity. Maybe 30 yards for a big one.

Personally I'd stick with an end dump, stuff that wet is going to slide right out. You can seal an end dump very tight if needed and theres no belt to ruin and maintain, not to mention how much cleaner an end dump will be, the belt will slobber and be a pain to get clean when done.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)