AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

repairng older Century battery charger, need button diodes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Tazzerblue
Posted 8/17/2015 17:12 (#4738207)
Subject: repairng older Century battery charger, need button diodes

SW MN
Ok so I've spent over an hr. looking and searching on the web. found century tools. they may have them in a kit for a newer model. but not just the diodes. their button diodes. half the diameter of a penny and about 1/4 in. thick. red circle around the outside on one side.

(IMAG1721.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMAG1721.jpg (50KB - 159 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jon Hagen
Posted 8/17/2015 17:30 (#4738229 - in reply to #4738207)
Subject: RE: repairng older Century battery charger, need button diodes

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
That appears to be the same button diode used in the SI series Delco car/ pickup / tractor alternators.

Just curious, did yours fail because of overheating ? How good of a heat sink setup does century have to cool those button diodes ?

I have repaired several chargers, from little 8 amp box chargers, to 80 amp wheel chargers, using salvage rectifier assys fron Delco SI alternators. Not a new one either, I am too cheap for that . The Delco SI rectifier is 6 button diodes mounted in two finned aluminum heat sinks to rectify 3 ph AC down to DC in the alternator.

Typically 1 diode of the 6 fails and the rectifier assy is replaced. That leaves 2 or three diodes on each heat sink still working to repair a battery charger. I mount the whole rectifier assy on insolated bolts, Connect the transformer leads to the stator terminals and connect the charger output lead to the correct polarity heat sink.

I have never had a Delco rectifier assy fail in a charger, as they see so much less heat and vibration compared to an alternator, some converted 20+ years ago. For a rectifier assy with only 1 diode failed, check your local machinery shops or alternator repair place. Good chance they will give you a half dozen free from the electrical scrap barrel.

Edited by Jon Hagen 8/17/2015 23:01
gene_champ
Posted 8/17/2015 19:31 (#4738422 - in reply to #4738207)

NC Iowa
if it is not fan cooled, you can add a old computer power supply fan for next to nothing.
dmh
Posted 8/17/2015 19:49 (#4738464 - in reply to #4738207)

Trivoli, Illinois
Try giving them a call, they repair alot of battery chargers. http://www.harveybros.com/#!
ccjersey
Posted 8/17/2015 20:27 (#4738558 - in reply to #4738207)

Faunsdale, AL
Www.mouser.com is a company that sells just about everything electronic. Might be hard to find it on their website, but I believe it would be called a "power diode" which should get you away from all the tiny stuff.

Ruttonsha was the manufacturer of the last set of stud mount diodes I purchased from them.

Make sure the one you want is in stock and you will have it in a couple days. I had to purchase higher voltage and amperage than I really needed to get something they stocked, but the cost difference was negligible.
Sodbustr
Posted 8/19/2015 19:28 (#4742281 - in reply to #4738207)

Western Iowa
I have fixed lots of chargers, just get on ebay and find one with studs on both ends and lots of amp rating. They will be 10X the diode and from the right guy very very reasonable. With the studs (or tapped holes) it is really easy to put on your backing plate and hook up the wires....
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)