AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Small square bale stacking question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Ranchkid
Posted 7/14/2015 10:32 (#4679197)
Subject: Small square bale stacking question

TX - WY - NM

Was reminiscing with an old friend in Wyoming about stacking hay on family ranches and we wondering why some ranchers stacked with the wires up and some to the side. Only conclusion was that the bales were easier to handle with the wires up except for the first layer. My granddad in Texas stacked in barns with the wire to the side.

On my Dad’s place we used a “hand powered” bale accumulator (sled) that held 12 bales, then stacked with a Farmhand stacker. When we got an automatic bale accumulator, I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

Those of you still stacking small squares, where do you place the wire/twine?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Supa Dexta
Posted 7/14/2015 10:38 (#4679204 - in reply to #4679197)
Subject: RE: Small square bale stacking question

NS Canada
Twine up, alternate rows sideways/lengthways. Stacked with a knee into them, tight.
Jakeoh
Posted 7/14/2015 11:16 (#4679247 - in reply to #4679204)

South west Ohio Near Dayton

+1 Nice and tight alternate run of bale.  Sometimes bottom layer with twine to side.

Von WC Ohio
Posted 7/14/2015 12:11 (#4679313 - in reply to #4679247)

Twine up and alternating layers for straw just like stacking on the wagons. I liked to use 2 bale hooks to handle bales and knee them together tightly. Never had issues with plastic twine natural twine had lots of popped bales.

(P7100075.JPG)

(P7110007.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P7100075.JPG (236KB - 314 downloads)
Attachments P7110007.JPG (196KB - 319 downloads)
Red Paint
Posted 7/14/2015 13:49 (#4679424 - in reply to #4679313)

SW “Ohia”
Von,

I have stacked thousands of wagons for dozens of farmers, and have never seen a wagon stacked in that pattern.

Is it very secure/stable? Are your wagons particularly narrow to require only two wide stacks?

Always done a two-and-a-half wide or three-wide stack here. Interlocking bales with alternating sideways and longways bales to get a strong load. I do see that you go 7-high, which is my preferred height. No point in stopping short when he wagon can handle more.

Very neat stack in the barn, and what looks to be a very nice elevator. I have been trying to find a good 40+' elevator to replace my 35' New Idea so I can reach taller corn cribs. Hard to find one that isn't absolute junk. Very few ever got to sit inside thanks to our low door tobacco barns down here.

Excellent pictures as usual, and thanks for posting.

(Have to say, can't believe you have mismatched wheels/tires on the wagons! That isn't Von approved! :-)
Von WC Ohio
Posted 7/14/2015 21:25 (#4680182 - in reply to #4679424)

Yes these wagons are sort of narrow as they were all used for hauling grain and ear corn with sideboards earlier in their life. They have a pivot on the rear of the sills and were set up to be lifted with a tractor powered A frame hoist deal to dump into a drag elevator combo. I think there is a picture on a slide somewhere but I have not seen it for many years.  Also were made that way to fit 2 side by side in narrower driveways of older buildings. Alternating bales that way seemed to always tie them together very well. I never lost a load stacking them that way and they often got pushed up a fairly steep barn bank into the barn that way as well with no issues. I could usually get 120-125 on a wagon this way.

That was a good J&M elevator I bought used but have since sold it when I made some other changes. I think it was at least 40' and electric motor drive.

Was too cheap to buy new matched tires for wagons that only got used occasionally :-(use what you have on hand

MoDad
Posted 7/14/2015 10:47 (#4679214 - in reply to #4679197)

Mid Mo
Wire is not as big a deal but most use twine around here anymore. With twine, you better stack it with twine out or you will be pulling busted bales from rodent chewed strings.
DaleK
Posted 7/14/2015 10:53 (#4679221 - in reply to #4679197)

East-Central Ontario
Twine on the sides holds its shape much better, less tripping on twine.
NY ed
Posted 7/14/2015 11:00 (#4679229 - in reply to #4679221)

Twine on the side and cut end up, and throw some salt on it if put up a little green.
FarmallM
Posted 7/14/2015 11:18 (#4679248 - in reply to #4679229)

North Western, Illinois
Twine on its side, then crossed as you stack.
Direct Injected
Posted 7/14/2015 11:48 (#4679284 - in reply to #4679248)

SW, Missouri
Always stacked in the barn on edge here, less rodent problems.
Dave9110
Posted 7/14/2015 12:19 (#4679323 - in reply to #4679197)

north-central Indiana west of Fulton
When our bale wagon stacks them, they are on edge with the strings on the side.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (123KB - 335 downloads)
Red Paint
Posted 7/14/2015 12:25 (#4679332 - in reply to #4679197)

SW “Ohia”
Ranchkid,

When stacked in the loft, bales are placed on edge with twine to the side.

When flat stacked, they are stacked with twine up.

Why? Well, because that's how Grandpa did it. Why did he do it that way? Probably because his Dad decided to do it that way when they got their first small square baler.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (156KB - 327 downloads)
NEIndiana
Posted 7/14/2015 21:18 (#4680160 - in reply to #4679332)

Columbia City, Indiana
Red Paint - 7/14/2015 12:25

Why? Well, because that's how Grandpa did it. Why did he do it that way? Probably because his Dad decided to do it that way when they got their first small square baler.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I was reading the responses!

Reminds me of the story of the young groom who watches his brides cut the ends off the ham before she put it in the roasting pan and asked why she did that. "Because that's how mom did it." So they go to her parents' house and he asks the same question. "Because that's how Grandma did it." The go to grandma's house and ask the same question "Because I didn't have a big enough roasting pan to hold the ham!"
Jay NE Ohio
Posted 7/14/2015 12:45 (#4679362 - in reply to #4679197)

northeastern Ohio
We used to do about 40k per year. Always stacked with twine on the side (bale on edge). The only time I stack a bale with twine up is when I am filling in the top layer to fit between the rafters.
LNS8310
Posted 7/14/2015 12:58 (#4679375 - in reply to #4679197)

N.C. Iowa

On the rack the strings were up, in the barn strings to the side.  Grandpa always said you could get more bales in the barn with strings to the side, didn't trip on them when walking and the bales could breath with the stems facing upward.

HappyHank
Posted 7/14/2015 14:09 (#4679452 - in reply to #4679197)

SC, IA.
On the wagon, twine up. In the hay loft or on the ground, bottom layer twine on the side, all higher layers were twine up. Why? Because dad did it that way.
BCFENCE
Posted 7/14/2015 14:49 (#4679486 - in reply to #4679452)

Stacking on edge holds shape better..
gmoney
Posted 7/14/2015 15:49 (#4679565 - in reply to #4679452)

SC Wisconsin
HappyHank - 7/14/2015 12:09

On the wagon, twine up. In the hay loft or on the ground, bottom layer twine on the side, all higher layers were twine up. Why? Because dad did it that way.

+1. I worked for several dairy farmers putting up hay during the summers when I was a kid. First layer, twine on side. The rest had twine on top. Everyone did it the same. For me, it seems easier to do the twine on top. You just drop the bale and knee it tight. On edge, you have to flip it up to get it on its side. Over the course of a week of haying, I suspect that route is going to be slower.
feelnrite
Posted 7/14/2015 17:47 (#4679742 - in reply to #4679197)

northwest tennessee

Always stacked twine down on the wagon but twine up in the barn.

John Central NY
Posted 7/14/2015 17:48 (#4679745 - in reply to #4679197)

Everything here is stacked in hay now cut side up.
Yoosta B
Posted 7/14/2015 18:12 (#4679786 - in reply to #4679197)

On the rack, we stacked flat, except for the tie row on top. I always liked to put the first three across the back lengthwise and flat for stability and then put the rest of the tie row crossways on edge- figured I got an extra bale on and easier to grab the top row when unloading.

In the barn, we always stacked on edge- didn't fuss with cut side up or down. An experienced man can build a much tighter surface for walking and no fuss dropping them in tight- you learned how to drop them so they kinda 'rolled in' tight. Stacking bales flat leaves nothing but a series of holes to fall into.

In high school, working for neighbors, sometimes they would get some 'warm bodies' and put them in the barn. They only knew how to stack bales flat. They'd wear themselves and me out with the poor job they would do. I'd rather work with one guy who knew his stuff than three that didn't.

Two Hawk
Posted 7/14/2015 22:32 (#4680393 - in reply to #4679197)

Southern Nevada desert
Anybody that's baled with a wire baler knows why grandpa stacked the first layer on edge, if you put the wire on the ground it rusts in short order and every one will break when you lift it.
edit
I was also told to put the cut side up on the ground and the cut side down on the top to minimize moisture intake on outside stacks, around here we can actually stack outside sometimes.

Edited by Two Hawk 7/14/2015 22:38
beanplanter
Posted 7/14/2015 23:19 (#4680489 - in reply to #4680393)

Missouri

.... I think I just figured out the answer to one of those questions I never got to ask grandpa! 

The floor of the barn always went on edge and the rest laid flat. I only use string now, but use the same pattern.

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)