AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calf cord hernias (I think). Take action or wait? (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

tjdub
Posted 7/7/2015 21:58 (#4667034)
Subject: Calf cord hernias (I think). Take action or wait? (pics)

One on a heifer and one a bull. I've seen a few of them before on calves and they have always grown out of them, but these seem particularly bad. Not sure why I'm blessed with two this year, same cows and bulls as last year and I didn't have any. The bull calf is a twin and had a really long cord hanging off him for a while, so that might explain it, not sure about the heifer. They're not getting worse, but don't seem to be getting any better either, don't think they're abscesses since they don't seem to be bothering the calves at all.

Advice?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
peasant farmer
Posted 7/7/2015 22:13 (#4667073 - in reply to #4667034)
Subject: RE: Calf cord hernias (I think). Take action or wait? (pics)

Illinois
Have had a few like that always been told to turn your head and not worry about it nothing can be done. Was told it is like a hernia have also heard it called "belly bust" have not seen one as big as that calf has have seen other calves suck on them before and was told that can irritate it I am looking forward to what everybody else has to say!!
Galaxie64
Posted 7/7/2015 22:47 (#4667129 - in reply to #4667034)

WY, OK

Never seen a calf that bad but have had cows get them like that.  Doesn't look like they are hurting at all.  I am sure they'll be docked at the barn but nothing around it.

farmforever
Posted 7/7/2015 22:48 (#4667132 - in reply to #4667034)

Central MN
When I shadow the large animal vets in my area they do this surgery fairly often on dairy heifer and sometimes bull calves. The hernia just gives another reason to sort that calf off at sale time to get them cheaper. In the long run I don't know if it causes a lot of issues. But most recommend fixing it if they are that large. Really has nothing to do with size of navel cord. Normally these show up really young less than 6 weeks or so. At that time you can measure the size of them by pushing their insides back in and seeing how many fingers wide the hole is. One of the vets told me one time would if they are smaller than 1.5 fingers wide he would let them heal on their own if possible but if they are larger than that they probably never will without surgery. Biggest I ever seen was about 4 fingers wide as a young calf and nothing was done now it has about a 8 -10 long hernia on belly at 12 months... as far as size they usually won't do them after they are 400-450 lbs I think mostly because of stress reasons. Looking at those they won't heal on their own but surgery would fix it. I would call your vet though and use his opinion. If he hasn't done a lot maybe better off leaving them be.
L3farmsandfeeders
Posted 7/8/2015 07:48 (#4667446 - in reply to #4667034)

SE SD
I would get it fixed. It's a cheap surgery, less than $100. We had 2 this year. 1 calf is good now and the other dead. It ended up dying of paritinitis. (Infection in the hernia where the guts are going in and out of the stomach.
denice.r
Posted 7/8/2015 08:13 (#4667491 - in reply to #4667034)

south east Indiana
Hernias are rather common. They are caused basically by the cow / calf pulling against the umbilical cord when it is being born. Any mammal can get them; rather common in dogs, cats, foal... The abdominal wall can be torn so what would be a small normal opening for the umbilical cord only and heal in a few days is larger. The large hole allows for some of the calf's intestines to fall through that hole. that can lead to the intestines blood supply being constricted and dieing then dead calf. The larger the hole the larger the chance of a problem. The bigger the calf grows the more more weight is pushing against the opening....
Fixed easily when a day or few days old ect not so much later. I helped the neighbor out when I lived in SD quite often with little things. He called on a Sunday and asked for Doctor Denice I knew then it wasn't good. Calf born over night and had intestines coming out the vets were all busy and he had several hundred cows calving. Told him I would gather my things while he brought the calf up but to wrap vet wrap around its belly loosely so didn't get worse. Well he didn't do that last part and it wasn't pretty when the calf arrived but washed it all off and put it back and sutured it up on the tailgate of truck, some antibiotics to the warming box while i fixed him breakfast. Colostrum to the calf after breakfast and back home. Calf didn't miss a beat.
Plus he got a free breakfast and no vet bill:) huh - no wonder he called me

Waiting to have a vet look at will you might have a dead calf
http://calfology.com/library/wiki/umbilical-herniastrangulated-hern... a link to read more

Edited by denice.r 7/8/2015 08:16
tjdub
Posted 7/9/2015 00:51 (#4669306 - in reply to #4667491)

Thanks all for the replies.

Denice, I see that article recommends an elastic band around the calf's abdomen as a possible treatment. Sure would be a low risk try. I'm currently channelling my inner MacGyver (or more likely Red Green) on that one.

Edited by tjdub 7/9/2015 00:51
denice.r
Posted 7/9/2015 14:03 (#4670195 - in reply to #4669306)

south east Indiana
with the size of the hernia and the calf I would think that would be high risk. If any intestines have fallen down through an opening in the abdominal wall and you band it he will be a dead calf. I would take him to the vet.
tjdub
Posted 7/10/2015 00:35 (#4671191 - in reply to #4670195)

Was more thinking about pushing the guts back in and putting an elastic "band" around the whole calf (not the hernia itself).
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)