AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

what's difference between bale slice/crop cutter/ silage special
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jcolli140
Posted 6/2/2015 16:57 (#4605164)
Subject: what's difference between bale slice/crop cutter/ silage special

SC Wisconsin
Looking at new Holland roll-belt balers, I see they have the bale slice, crop cutter, and silage special versions. Could anyone explain exactly what the differences are?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Supa Dexta
Posted 6/2/2015 17:25 (#4605193 - in reply to #4605164)
Subject: RE: what's difference between bale slice/crop cutter/ silage special

NS Canada
http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=175222&Display...

And silage special depends on brand, but sometimes has heavier components, has scrapers on the rollers to keep buildup from sticking to them, maybe wider tires, could be a different belt pattern.. etc Not to say a non silage special won't bale silage, many guys do, but the few added things are supposed to help bale the wetter material.
lilmule
Posted 6/2/2015 19:48 (#4605383 - in reply to #4605164)

arthur , ontario
silage special had a heavier built pickup roll scrapers and somewhat self cleaning rolls? at least they used to have? may just be a special decal now...as for crop cutter, bale slice? crop cutter would be a rotating cutter head for cutting up the material as it comes in-save a lot of mixing time in your TMR. we had a bale slice,and it was a so so idea? had to keep sharp knives in or it wouldn't cut any thing? worse in straw! the cutter head will require more horses then the bale slice? I run a Kuhn now with the 23 knife roto-cut, even with half the knives in? I can make a 160 hp snort! but that's pounding out a bale in less then a minute?
whiteriverag
Posted 6/2/2015 19:54 (#4605397 - in reply to #4605164)

You can a have Silage Special with or without the Bale Slice or Crop Cutter. My NH 740A is a SS with the Bale Slice. The Bale Slice cuts the hay about every 5 in and is a set of knives that can be turned into the bale to cut the bale as it goes around in the chamber. It wont start cutting until the bale is about 24 in. and then it retracts when it is 4 in. from a full bale. The Crop Cutter cuts the crop right behind the pickup before it gets to the bale and cuts it about every 2-3 in. It is engaged all the time so cuts the entire bale. For what I do i'm glad I have the Bale Slice and not the Crop Cutter. The Crop Cutter pulls quite a bit more than the Bale Slice. If your using a TMR to feed the Crop Cutter is the way to go. Most of my hay is sold for beef cattle and is fed in rings so the Bale Slice is a nice option for that.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)