AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wick and Morton buildings
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Klaus40
Posted 4/24/2015 20:19 (#4535812)
Subject: Wick and Morton buildings

I am looking to put up either a Wick or Morton pole building. This would be the first building Ive ever had built new.

Anybody have experience with either one? Do they negociate or is the price really the bottom dollar? On the same size building, Wick is 45k, Morton 54k.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jlcprec
Posted 4/24/2015 20:45 (#4535885 - in reply to #4535812)
Subject: RE: Wick and Morton buildings

Bellevue, Iowa
In my experience, Wick is always cheaper, but if you equip them the same, the a lot of the difference goes away.
washington 16
Posted 4/24/2015 20:49 (#4535899 - in reply to #4535812)

North Central Iowa
Build the Morton. My friend built a Wick 8 years ago because of the price difference. Another friend built a Lester for the same reason. Both now wish they would have spent the extra money. Nothing against Wick but the Morton paint quality is better.

Edited by washington 16 4/24/2015 20:50
NEILFarmer
Posted 4/24/2015 21:01 (#4535924 - in reply to #4535812)

Morris, IL
If you have a good crew, Morton is worth the 9K. Morton uses top notch products, they setup their crews with ever tip possible to help them out, i've seen the books and they are in great detail. An idiot like myself put together a tin kit so only reason crew can't is if they don't take the time to do it right. We stick built this dryer shack with Morton tin to match tool shed 100' away.

Edited by NEILFarmer 4/24/2015 21:08

(IMG_1089.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1089.JPG (138KB - 438 downloads)
ekeller2
Posted 4/24/2015 22:08 (#4536093 - in reply to #4535924)

So. IL
NEILFarmer - 4/24/2015 21:01

If you have a good crew, Morton is worth the 9K. Morton uses top notch products, they setup their crews with ever tip possible to help them out, i've seen the books and they are in great detail. An idiot like myself put together a tin kit so only reason crew can't is if they don't take the time to do it right. We stick built this dryer shack with Morton tin to match tool shed 100' away.

Will morton sell just the metal? Looking to build in a year or two, and always liked morton metal.
NEILFarmer
Posted 4/24/2015 22:31 (#4536136 - in reply to #4536093)

Morris, IL
Yes, we picked it up right from the factory in Morton. Picked up the door and windows, entire trim kit, and our local branch manager spent lot of time explaining how ever piece went together. Planning to do the same thing for the tin for inside of our work in progress shop. Morton metal is thicker, stronger, nicer looking (my opinion), and has good paint. And when we priced steel for steel from Menards it was same price, trim kit made it more expensive but it's worth it. Amazing how ever piece fits together to seal building, nothing like menards.
ekeller2
Posted 4/25/2015 06:23 (#4536354 - in reply to #4536136)

So. IL
NEILFarmer - 4/24/2015 22:31

Yes, we picked it up right from the factory in Morton. Picked up the door and windows, entire trim kit, and our local branch manager spent lot of time explaining how ever piece went together. Planning to do the same thing for the tin for inside of our work in progress shop. Morton metal is thicker, stronger, nicer looking (my opinion), and has good paint. And when we priced steel for steel from Menards it was same price, trim kit made it more expensive but it's worth it. Amazing how ever piece fits together to seal building, nothing like menards.

Thanks for the info. I do think they have better metal, and their color combos always look good.
a4t-1600
Posted 4/24/2015 21:25 (#4535985 - in reply to #4535812)

Dearfield Co.
I have came to prefer the wicks in my looking -------------screws standard , morton is still nailed. there are some other differences but I really think morton is a little over rated.
PeteMN
Posted 4/24/2015 23:27 (#4536217 - in reply to #4535985)

E.Central MN
The Morton we had put up a little over a year ago has screws, we went a step further with the optional stainless screws.
Ben Riensche
Posted 4/25/2015 09:52 (#4536814 - in reply to #4535985)
Subject: Built 5 Mortons in ten tears, no nails

Jesup, IA
Morton will nail a building, but only if that's what you request. Standard building practice is screws with stainless steel heads, inverted for a driver bit so any paint loss is no evident. Some others use a hex head, the paint chips during installation, and it's downhill from there.

IMHO, Wick and Cleary look great too if you get a good crew. But Morton's warranty is hard to beat. The crews that have done my Mortons have had real pride in their workmanship.

Consider getting your own doors and having Morton install. I think walk doors are Mortons weakest feature.

Edited by Ben Riensche 4/25/2015 09:59
Kevin NC IA
Posted 4/24/2015 21:37 (#4536025 - in reply to #4535812)

NC Iowa
Dad bought a Wick in 1984, still looks good today and really like their doors they slide easy.
4WD
Posted 4/24/2015 21:40 (#4536028 - in reply to #4535812)

Between Omaha and Des Moines, 7 miles South of I80

Klaus40 - 4/24/2015 20:19 I am looking to put up either a Wick or Morton pole building.

This would be the first building Ive ever had built new.

Anybody have experience with either one? Do they negociate or is the price really the bottom dollar? On the same size building, Wick is 45k, Morton 54k.

To my knowledge:

A. Buildings are sold by outside building measurements

B. 16 foot sidewall height, doesn't mean you will have 16 feet of headroom, inside, or that you will be able to get a 16 ft overhead door, installed.

C. Ask about foundations, or how are the main supports will be installed.

D. Do you need a "rat wall", to keep out critters from digging under a slab?

E. What about bird nesting prevention?

F. Future plans of insulating? What about outside of foundation? (best to think ahead, a little)

G. What about any drainage issue, for that building's location? (need tile around perimeter?)

H. Outside concrete slab, in front of big door?

I. Any plumbing, needs to be thought about, ahead of time? (toilet drain "rough-in", inside shop drain "rough-in")

J. Don't undersize electrical service

K. Which side are doors on? (East, West, North, South) Does it make sense for Winter and prevailing winds?

L. Roof condensation control?

M.???

Edited by 4WD 4/24/2015 21:43
KK101
Posted 4/24/2015 21:51 (#4536051 - in reply to #4535812)

Union Star MO
Put a metal frame building if you are planning to concrete it anyways. VP buildings and butler both have ag buildings worth the money. They will be there forever. I have replaced post in all of mine that are made out of wood
Klaus40
Posted 4/24/2015 22:05 (#4536088 - in reply to #4536051)

Do either of them negociate price??
Midsize farmer
Posted 4/24/2015 22:16 (#4536109 - in reply to #4535812)

north central il
Take a look at FBI buildings. They are top notch. Morton has not been able to compete with price. They are both quality, but FBI is out building in this area 3 to 1.
IADAVE
Posted 4/24/2015 22:44 (#4536164 - in reply to #4536109)

If you get Morton make sure it is MORTON, not country craft. They sell both. Dad has a country craft that leaked from day one. Not in just one place either. They were supposed to fix it but the last we heard from them is that is just the way it is....
Dad also has a Morton. It is several years old and is a good building. Some one tried to break in by forcing the doors with a 4wd drive pickup with a bridge plank on the front. You could see where they spun out and just had a little damage to the trim. No leaks any where when new and still that way.
Also have a Harlan builders building built back in the 70,s. It is still a good building but the original doors always warped and were a problem until we replaced them with all steel frame. Note the steel door frame part. That is important!
Concrete for a shop area is nice but dirt or gravel for storage is good. If you have a machine that drips oil the dirt soaks it up. It just makes a mess on the concrete. Be sure and get a smooth finish on the shop area to make cleaning easier.
Build the shed plenty big. It will never be big enough. You want enough room to pull the planter in and unfold while hooked to the tractor without interfering with your storage area.
If you are young and like to work on stuff heat and insulation is nice. I have a heated shop now and like it but $12,000 for insulation and $1300 a month for heat adds up. At my age I will take the money for heat and insulation and hire it fixed if it is to cold to work in the shop. If you can get out of the wind a heat light or a hard hat heater will work most days. May be insulate and heat a small area for office and bath rooms.
Gerald J.
Posted 4/24/2015 22:45 (#4536165 - in reply to #4535812)

Be sure when you ask for a certain door height that they haven't quoted an eave that high, which means the door will be a couple feet lower.

I have one maybe ten year old Wick and one 70s vintage Morton. So far the paint on the steel is holding about the same, but Morton did repaint some because of bad paint. When I was shopping for the one that Wick built, the price different was considerable and Wick with screwed tin vs nearly every body else nailing it seemed to be sturdier. The crew chief was super picky about quality of materials and rejected some of what Wick delivered and made them deliver better lumber.

Gerald J.
keving
Posted 4/25/2015 05:42 (#4536309 - in reply to #4536165)

Michigan
I'm very happy with our Wick building. Excellent service. We had a storm come through the area and grab a sliding door that had not been locked in the open position, called Wick, no questions were asked,crew was out shortly and replaced everything that need replacing....no charge
8320farmer
Posted 4/25/2015 06:13 (#4536344 - in reply to #4535812)

East central Indiana
We just had a barn built by a local crew from a lumber yard. Wish we would have went wick or fbi. Nothing wrong with our barn just the metal and finish on a name brand building is better. Local wick crew is really good at what they do to.
5 Head
Posted 4/25/2015 06:46 (#4536388 - in reply to #4536344)

South West MN
Hire a local crew to build and buy from the lumber yard. Will save a lot of money.

There are different steel galvonation ratings. Don't buy the cheapest.
fpr2006
Posted 4/25/2015 09:15 (#4536738 - in reply to #4535812)

SW Minnesota
I have a Morton, Wick and Cleary. If you spec them the same the price come out close. The last one was the Cleary. The salesman bitched that he made a mistake afterwards and he bid it too cheap. If that was the case he would have been higher than the Morton. Morton uses 2*4 nailers where everyone else uses 2*6. The best thing about the Morton is the door hardware.
turnipted
Posted 4/25/2015 14:13 (#4537173 - in reply to #4536738)

Think that's because others pole spacing are a little wider.
DLB
Posted 4/25/2015 09:24 (#4536757 - in reply to #4535812)

west central illinois
I priced both and yes wick was cheaper, I asked for names of previous Wick owners and all gave me a good review. I have put up 2 Wick bldgs. since and couldn't be happier from the salesman to the crew I would rate them a 10.
pauljfarm
Posted 4/25/2015 09:51 (#4536810 - in reply to #4535812)

NW Minnesota
We built 3 mortons, 2 of which leak where the rain gutters were nailed on and gable ends. We are not impressed with service and warranty after the sale! They have gave us the run around on condensation ever after we show them buckets with water in. I would say any thing but Morton!
packerfan
Posted 4/25/2015 10:14 (#4536853 - in reply to #4535812)

Western illinois
I priced both. Wick was only slightly cheaper. Morton has heavier gauge steel. I went with Morton. Both are good buildings and only as good as the crew that puts them up.I will say I'm not totally impressed with Morton service. I've waited 2 years for a quote on an eyebrow for my shed.
EASmith
Posted 4/25/2015 11:34 (#4536974 - in reply to #4536853)

Just make sure no wood in ground.

Small rant on Morton. Built shed in 1986. Well built solid shed, best sliding doors. Grey trim faded, they gave free paint for trim but we had to paint ourselves. Not too hard to do. That was around 2000, the paint hasn't faded much since then. In 86 they used steel gutters which rusted out in mid 2000s, replaced with aluminum all cost on us. Surprised they didn't help. Then in 2013 roof sheets started flaking just outside of 25 yr paint warranty. Not one cent from Morton. So we paint a 128x60 roof ourselves. Huge pain in the @$$. Also the vented ridge blew to bits last year. Morton wanted a fortune to fix. We bough some solid ridge and fixed ourselves. Quite a few problems for the best buildings out there.

We were looking to build a shed in 2013. Morton was $20k higher, but they said, "oh we have superior quality and stand behind our product. Laughable. We went with the other local builder. $20k will cover a lot of paint and fixes. Morton is a joke.
Tomcat
Posted 4/25/2015 21:18 (#4537887 - in reply to #4535812)

Ludington/Manistee MI area
I built a Morton a few years ago, I have had 2 carpenters look at the building and say wow well designed barn.
kenabcd
Posted 4/25/2015 22:38 (#4538057 - in reply to #4535812)

Cokato MN
I live in a Morton building and keep my machinery in another. I couldn't be happier.

I looked at just about every company out there before I pulled the trigger. I could have gone cheaper, but it may have cost a lot more...

The material was superior, the building inspector who checked it about 5 times before we moved in said, I have seen many of the pole shed house attempts and want to say, why don't they all use Morton.

The construction was way past code, cause that is how Morton does it. The inspector asked things like, why did they dig the post holes so deep? Why did they use so much concrete around the posts?

The crew was so good, because they were full time Morton guys. One of the crew was second generation, his dad built Morton for years before semi retiring to be retained as a troubleshooter\detail man. They had the right heavy equipment on site when they needed it, knew how to schedule it and used it well.

The Morton construction system involves tooling, machinery, fixtures, jigs and assembly schemes that have been perfected and standardized so that everything they build is quality.

The crew had my buildings sealed up in less than 4 days, no excuses, great scheduling, great employees. They hit the ground running, knew what to do, had the tools and supplies and got it done.

I could have found a lower price, but it may have cost more.

If you are keeping junk in it, find the cheapest price you can and take it, but is you need a dry building for a long time, Morton may be the cheapest.

I do not get any kickback from Morton, I have not talked to Morton for years, I don't need to, they delivered what they promised and I am happy.

Ken
GangGreen
Posted 4/26/2015 07:04 (#4538320 - in reply to #4538057)

Eastern Iowa
My Morton quote was over $18 a square foot for 70x100 cold storage on a wall with half a concrete floor, steel building was $15 turnkey from a STAR buildings dealer, we did the work ourselves all totaled for less than $13, and that included electrical. Very happy at this point with the decision to go with structural steel instead of wood on a wall.
kenabcd
Posted 4/26/2015 15:23 (#4539027 - in reply to #4538320)

Cokato MN
What did you figure into the square feet for your labor and equipment?

How long did it take from breaking ground till it was complete? Sometimes the "we did it ourselves" route drags on and may cause you to miss some of the things you are better at doing.

If Morton's quote included concrete, I would break that out. I think their strong point is building not pouring concrete.

If your $13 per square foot didn't include all of your labor and some share of the equipment you used, it may be off.

The structural steel building has strong points, the question was about Wick or Morton.

Dad has a good Lester's quonset, it was cheap back then, I am thinking 1962, I was pretty young when he had it built it is also good.
GangGreen
Posted 4/26/2015 17:51 (#4539229 - in reply to #4539027)

Eastern Iowa

kenabcd - 4/26/2015 14:23

What did you figure into the square feet for your labor and equipment?

Well, nothing! I get what you are saying, but sometimes there are opportunity costs and sometimes there are fixed costs you write a check for. We have the tools and ability and time, so we might as well do it ourselves and get the cash benefit from it.

How long did it take from breaking ground till it was complete? Sometimes the "we did it ourselves" route drags on and may cause you to miss some of the things you are better at doing.

It definitely took longer than I wanted. But we're a diverse operation and can't dedicate all our time to one thing, which is sort of your point, so I get that. But this wasn't a time critical project, and other than delaying the start of corn harvest a week or two behind my neighbors, the shed was completed within an acceptable amount of time. Had I hired it out, it would have probably been done a month sooner. On a farm, we value our time lots of different ways at different points of the year.

If Morton's quote included concrete, I would break that out. I think their strong point is building not pouring concrete.

Both quotes included concrete, the Morton suggested pour ultimately was 2" narrower on the wall and 6" narrower footing.

If your $13 per square foot didn't include all of your labor and some share of the equipment you used, it may be off.

The quote is definitely "off" but the difference was in my pocket, not somebody else's, which is all I was driving at. I realize this is probably not an option for everyone, although I will say that most of the assembly wasn't difficult-- but it did make us think, stretch our skill sets a little, etc.

The structural steel building has strong points, the question was about Wick or Morton. 

I like Morton and Wick buildings as well, and if I am giving the impression I am running them down, I'm not.  But when I compared prices I was very much surprised how affordable steel construction was.  Wick was pretty much the same, dollar for dollar, as the STAR and the Morton was $20K more, even if I had a crew come in and build the steel building for me.  I re-oriented my thinking after that.

Dad has a good Lester's quonset, it was cheap back then, I am thinking 1962, I was pretty young when he had it built it is also good.

kenabcd
Posted 4/26/2015 20:36 (#4539619 - in reply to #4539229)

Cokato MN
Now I understand what you were saying, and you are right on all your points.

You are blessed to have enough equipment, brains and muscle to get it done, it is another way to go.
combinejockey
Posted 4/26/2015 11:22 (#4538745 - in reply to #4535812)

Go with the cement post Morton now has for the bottoms. In this area Morton cannot be beat at all for quality and price. A farmer south of town has put up a building 3 of the last 5 years from local lumberyard....this year its a Morton going up so that speaks volumes here anyway. Have a 66 by 96 shop built dec of 13, could not be more pleased with heating costs, tightness and quality. It is true you get what you pay for sure.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)