AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

belarus tractors?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

swindave
Posted 1/24/2015 14:33 (#4334952)
Subject: belarus tractors?

southwest in
any one use or have used belarus tractors?
whats the good, bad, and ugly on them?
do they still sell news ones ?
any and all coments welcomed!
oh , whats the biggest model they made?
thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
durallymax
Posted 1/24/2015 14:53 (#4334980 - in reply to #4334952)
Subject: RE: belarus tractors?

Wi

Have a neighbor with a few little ones. 

Simple, cheap, not popular

Yes they still build them, don't know whats all available in the US though.

Biggest one they sold IIRC was the 7100 but it was a Kirovet's K-701 IIRC. Had a 12cyl 300hp engine. 

The 1770 may have been the biggest true Belarus, but I wouldn't say I know much about them as a whole.

Pic of their newest 300hp MFWD.

ihmanky
Posted 1/24/2015 15:01 (#4334993 - in reply to #4334952)

KY
Neighbor down the road runs a few head of cows and puts up a couple hundred 5x5 bales a year, he has two Belarus tractors, one with FWA and one without, I believe they are about 70 and 90 or so HP each. Simple, not pretty to look at, but in the several years I've noticed him having them, I don't think I've ever seen one out of service. He always cuts and rakes with the smaller one, bales and feeds all winter with the larger FWA one. the smaller one sits out all the time and it seems to always still start for him.
Ed Winkle
Posted 1/24/2015 15:30 (#4335026 - in reply to #4334952)

Martinsville, Ohio

Right there for the worst tractor I ever drove.  40 years behind.  Oliver 55 series light years ahead.

Ed

bshannon
Posted 1/24/2015 16:54 (#4335170 - in reply to #4334952)

Suffice it to say that myself and others I know who had one only had one, and most don't have them anymore.
JohnW
Posted 1/24/2015 17:08 (#4335205 - in reply to #4334952)
Subject: MTZ tractors

NW Washington
I think they are now called MTZ tractors and there are some newer models on the market now. I don't know what there status is in North America these days.
http://www.mtzequipment.com/
Niklass
Posted 1/24/2015 17:19 (#4335229 - in reply to #4334952)
Subject: RE: belarus tractors? Watch this video !

I have no experience with them but they must be the best!! besides a boxcar magnum.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24vwgm_a-russian-tractor-driver-r...

Red Paint
Posted 1/24/2015 17:29 (#4335253 - in reply to #4334952)

SW “Ohia”
Going to echo what the others have said.

They are simple, crude, reliable tractors. Cheap too. Parts are available but probably not locally. The starters are a bastard and have WAY too much unnecessary gibberish. Pretty simple to swap it for a simpler setup if you can match the bendix nose dimensions. (Any good starter shop should be able to help.) The electrical system can be frustrating at times.

If I was to come across a 90hp MFWD Belarus loader tractor, I would look at it pretty hard. We have never had a MFWD tractor on the farm, so it would be pretty nice in the mud and slop. I have seen them sell for 1/4 of what a "more common" brand would bring.
just do it
Posted 1/24/2015 17:58 (#4335308 - in reply to #4335253)

SW MN
I owned a 925 for a short period of time many years ago, it was the worst piece of junk I have ever been around.
Kooiker
Posted 1/24/2015 20:59 (#4335749 - in reply to #4335253)

Red Paint - 1/24/2015 17:29  If I was to come across a 90hp MFWD Belarus loader tractor, I would look at it pretty hard. We have never had a MFWD tractor on the farm, so it would be pretty nice in the mud and slop. I have seen them sell for 1/4 of what a "more common" brand would bring.

Do yourself a favor.   After you look hard at that Belarus go buy yourself something made in the USA.

Tractors made in the USA in 1980 were 30 yrs ahead of Russian tractors in 2000.

2 of my uncles both had 825 mfwd Belarus tractors with loaders on them.   They take a lot of getting used to.  

The transmission is a real treat for a loader tractor, the absolute polar opposite of a "left hand power-reverser".   The mfwd front axle isn't built anywhere near heavy enough for loader work.  The turn radius is horrendous, the "power steering" if you want to call it that is worse yet.     The engine is somewhat reliable but a gutless dog.   The cab is similar to a "Year Round" cab, only noisier. Etc.....

Almost anything built in the USA, pretty much ever would be better than a "Ruski".

durallymax
Posted 1/25/2015 10:29 (#4336631 - in reply to #4335749)

Wi

Kooiker - 1/24/2015 20:59

Almost anything built in the USA, pretty much ever would be better than a "Ruski".

I wouldn't say that, the Russians have their successes.  Simple and effective. Look at the MiG's and how they caught us with our tail between our legs. Crude but they performed. That seems to be the Russian way, forget all the fancy stuff just make it work.  

jcfarmboy
Posted 1/25/2015 11:59 (#4336807 - in reply to #4336631)

South Western Ontario, Canada
durallymax - 1/25/2015 11:29

Kooiker - 1/24/2015 20:59

I wouldn't say that, the Russians have their successes.  Simple and effective. Look at the MiG's and how they caught us with our tail between our legs. Crude but they performed. That seems to be the Russian way, forget all the fancy stuff just make it work.  

Well yes they can make crude equipment.....now that I've said that, what a waste of metal!!! They make old 2 cylinder jds look like the space ship!
Used my great uncles for half a day pulling wagons and was never so happy to go back to a John deere (and this is coming from a red guy!)

Great uncle still has one but only because he can't give it away!!!

Maybe they can gain some foot hold with the new equipment (but not sounding good). They need to step their game don't need all the bells and whistles but improve the roughness they had now.
Kooiker
Posted 1/25/2015 12:12 (#4336833 - in reply to #4336631)

durallymax - 1/25/2015 10:29

I wouldn't say that, the Russians have their successes.  Simple and effective. Look at the MiG's and how they caught us with our tail between our legs. Crude but they performed. 

I guess I was mainly talking tractors but anyway, the MIG's had to have been engineered and built better than their tractors.   Had to have been.

arie515
Posted 1/25/2015 12:57 (#4336915 - in reply to #4336833)

Toronto, ON
The Russians believe that before starting adding features, you have to analyze cost / benefit.
Therefore, before adding more and more costly and unreliable electronic toys, the Russian are analyzing true farmer's needs vs. the cost of implementation.
Yes, we would all love to drive Rolls Royce. No argument it's a great car.
But we have to look at cost vs. benefits, and we end up driving Rolls Royce, Chevys, mini vans , trucks etc.

There is no universal answer what is the best tractor. It all depends on the job, region, available funds etc.

The bottom line is that 50,000 (!) farmers across USA and Canada have voted with their hard earned $ that Belarus is the best solution for their particular need. No one forced it down their throat.
I'm talking daily to farmers who own 2,3 or 6 Belarus tractors and they swear by them. And some of them also own Green, Red and other brands, which are suitable for other tasks.
There is no more Soviet Union and planned economy. The farmers in Russia, Hungary, Poland, Germany, USA, Canada are free to choose.

In 2014, 62,000 (!) farmers have chosen Belarus tractors, 20,000 were sold outside former Soviet Union.
"Money talks", and that's the best proof that those tractors fill a valuable space at many farms.

nsk
Posted 1/25/2015 13:49 (#4337013 - in reply to #4336915)

nw iowa
Not doubting that you talk to guys that own 2,3 or 6 that swear by them, but the guys that I know that owned only 1 would rather swear at them. I guess maybe they should have bought a couple more. LOL
arie515
Posted 1/25/2015 13:57 (#4337035 - in reply to #4337013)

Toronto, ON
When reading comments on Belarus tractors, I find an interesting tendency:
Most people who bad mouth the tractors are going by "he say, she say", or tried the tractor for half day.
Most people who praise the tractor are the people that use them day in, day out for many many years, and most of them have other brands to compare with.
Look at comments on this thread as example.
Just a thought...
Kooiker
Posted 1/25/2015 14:05 (#4337054 - in reply to #4337035)

My uncles both had those tractors for ~10 yrs.

I spent plenty of time operating and working on one of them to have a very valid opinion of it.    
BTW, the uncles opinions weren't much different than mine.  

Both of the 825's have been sold/traded for McCormicks that they are very happy with.

arie515
Posted 1/25/2015 14:14 (#4337077 - in reply to #4337054)

Toronto, ON
I'm glad that we live in a democratic country (for now at least...), so different opinions are welcome, and they are not necessary contradicting each other.

Your uncles run the tractors for 10 long years, and saved lots of dollars in the process...
So for 10 years they voted daily that it was the best solution for them at that time.
If the tractor was horrible and money loosing, they would take a loan and traded it in earlier.

After 10 years they decided that they can afford the McCormicks which cost them 4-10 times more that the used Belarus (correct me if I'm wrong).
At that stage of their life / business they splurged the extra bucks for the convenience and advantages of the McCormick.

And both decisions were probably right for them, considering their specific cost vs. benefits analisys at that particular time.
Kooiker
Posted 1/25/2015 15:39 (#4337284 - in reply to #4337077)

It took ten yrs to use their money out of the Belarus that no one would give them anything for on trade.

Both of them regretted buying it to begin with.      

Yes, they did serve a purpose but so could have a 30 yr old American made used tractor for about the same $'s and more creature comforts and in the end the now 40 yr old American made tractor is still worth more than a 10 yr old Belarus.

To each their own but I doubt anyone in my family will ever buy one again.     

just do it
Posted 1/25/2015 17:07 (#4337477 - in reply to #4337077)

SW MN
My experience is not hearsay I owned one and tried to make it work and it was a constant fight to keep bolts from falling out, leaks plugged and electrical gremlins chased down. The front mfwd axel is a weak piece of junk. Any time I tried to use it at over half power it would overheat (radiator about the size of a B John Deere}. The drive shaft to the front axel didn't have a telescoping joint on it so when anything flexed the connecting bolts would snap and the driveshaft would fall on the ground. The tractor was only a year old with 250 hours when I bought it so it wasn't a worn out tractor by any means. Once I finally made up my mind to get rid of it trying to find a dealer to unload it on was quite a job.
Larry in AB
Posted 2/28/2015 17:40 (#4421238 - in reply to #4335253)

Alberta, Canada
I did the same needed a smaller 80hp MFD tractor 17 years back and ended up with a used Belarus 825 with a loader, joy stick, cab and more for a fraction of what was out there on the used market. This size of tractor no matter what brand get abused and worked hard doing loader work. And they all need fix'n and fix'n the mfd on any brand (some are worse) is very expensive.

Edited by Larry in AB 3/1/2015 15:03
a4t-1600
Posted 1/24/2015 18:54 (#4335435 - in reply to #4334952)

Dearfield Co.
I was allowed to use one for 40 hours back when they first imported them. It was a 4x4 tractor that articulated with a full bench seat. It was easy on fuel but wasn't comparable to my versatile. What I was told is they were designed to us leftover truck parts for military trucks and after I knew that it was easy to see. Crude castings for the articulation and a manual gear box that would make the manual in a tw-35 seem like a power shift. It had a hose for the intake that was like a dryer vent hose and various other things that would make it appear to be a short time deal. I would like to find a real cheap one just to have for fun now if it ran just for the fun of it
PeteMN
Posted 1/24/2015 19:10 (#4335479 - in reply to #4334952)

E.Central MN
A couple years ago I heard an immigrant was thinking about buying some so he could ship them back home. They were cheaper here than where they came from.
65SuperSport
Posted 1/24/2015 20:04 (#4335618 - in reply to #4335479)

Several of em sold around Danville Ky. Guy was a former Case and New Holland dealer. Got dropped by both companies and became a Belarus dealer. Well I told a buddy, won't be long till he break's the USSR, they ain't never fooled with no Eastern Ky tractor dealer. Sure enough, wasn't long till the WALL came down. A few around in fencerow's. Think they keep em for the memories, LOL
arie515
Posted 1/24/2015 20:29 (#4335675 - in reply to #4335618)

Toronto, ON
Several comments:
- Belarus based MTZ tractor works remains world's largest tractor manufacturer. Last year over 62,000 tractors were made, which is more than JD and CASE Is combined. Tractors are sold successfully in over 100 countries, including USA, Canada, Germany, France, Australia etc.
- New tractors are sold in USA/Canada under MTZ brand. see www.mtzequipment.com
- Factory makes up to 350 hp (450 hp has been developed and being tested). In USA/Canada 212 hp is the largest available model.
- Since 1968 over 50,000 "Belarus" tractors were sold in USA & Canada, many of them are still operational, and many were re-exported back to Europe and other places, were the used ones are worth good $.
- We still support most of the 20-30 years old "Belarus" tractors with brand new factory original parts (unlike many other brands who can not support 20 year old machines).
- We opened a dedicated forum at www.mtztractortalk.com where owners discuss their old machines.

I'll be happy to answer any additional questions you may have, especially the new machines.
See bellow pictures of brand new MTZ tractors hard at work in AK, USA

Yours,
Arie

(z.jpg)

(MTZ 952 with 3 bales.jpg)

(642K5100.JPG)

(MTZ_350hp.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments z.jpg (14KB - 1366 downloads)
Attachments MTZ 952 with 3 bales.jpg (124KB - 1379 downloads)
Attachments 642K5100.JPG (137KB - 1361 downloads)
Attachments MTZ_350hp.jpg (97KB - 1287 downloads)
Boery
Posted 1/25/2015 02:53 (#4336080 - in reply to #4335675)

Hungary
I can't argue with your comments but here is mine:
- the beginning of the success of MTZ in the formal eastern block countries were due to the Warsaw Contract - which divided the manufacturing of different products for each country . Belarus got the tractors (-we got the Buses :-) )...... They had no internal competition in the eastern block and they could reach enormous number of production because of this for so many years in our country the backbone of our ag. machines were the MTZ 50 and the MTZ 80 - well fortunately not anymore but we still have a lot of them around and we know them very well.
- up until the mid or late 90s here these tractors were called MTZ and they started to call them Belarus since than .
- the majority of the MTZ tractors which are 50-100 hp still based on the concept of the tractor which was started to manufactured back in the 1950s
- the Minszkij Traktornij Zavod started from an old Ford tractor design which the Soviets bought with the whole factory ( tools machines etc. )
- the new big ones are have Deutz engines an ZF trans etc. ( so basically Western EU , mainly German parts ) are do not have the price advantage like the smaller ones and they made in a very low volume .
I was in a trade show a couple of years ago and the new 300 hp MTZ was on display - I asked the price , and wow the price was the same as any western made similar size tractor ..........
- we still have a few of them in our operation and I can tell you the ones which made in the 80s or in the early 90s are much better than the ones which just came of the factory, so they are getting worse compare to themselves !
I think the main reason is that they try to keep the price down with a lower parts quality .
- no matter what you do with them there is no way that you could stop oil leakage on these machines - sometimes it is good for a month but sometimes they start leaking in a couple of days
- the new ones are much more noiser than the old ones .... not the engine but the transmission, differential, etc.
- still a lot of small farmers using them here because they are easy to repair and you can find at least 2 parts store in every little town and the parts are cheap ( and lousy also ). The bigger operations are have some number of them for works which maybe take less than a 100 hours a year and you have to keep at least 2 of them to have one operational for the needs ....
- did you know that Versatile is owned by a russian company called Rostselmash ? And they have nothing to do with MTZ.

RampageRanch
Posted 1/25/2015 13:12 (#4336935 - in reply to #4336080)

niobrara nebraska
We have 2 of them an 825 with loader and a 572 on a 430 farmaid feed wagon. Feed 20,000 ilbs of rations during the winter with them. Front ends are weak, and will give trouble but are pretty simple and not that expensive to fix. But in Nebraska very rarely do they not start and run. Very cheap, 20 gallons of diesel will run the feedwagon for a week. Try that with a deere......That being said they are crude, not comfortable. But when it is -20 and the deere won't start or is gelling up the Belarus still thinks it is a heat wave. They are actually more reliable in that aspect then our 7600 and 6420 deeres. And when you don't have a heated shop and a lot of mouths to feed everyday. Just being able to go feed everyday without headaches is worth a lot. Plus they are cheap!!! Have more in the feedwagon then both tractors put together and when you are a younger rancher farmer starting out trying to buy land in a competitive area not having green/red eyes helps keep you very competitive and lean!!
Boery
Posted 1/25/2015 13:46 (#4337003 - in reply to #4336935)

Hungary
You must of have some good ones !
In our area when they start aging they start hard when they sniff a little cold - you could put new batteries and starter motor on them but still hard starter .
If we want to use them in the winter time the block heater is a must.
olivetroad
Posted 1/25/2015 14:13 (#4337074 - in reply to #4334952)

Kingdom of Callaway - Fulton, Mo 65251
I had a little 2cyl one I bought on a whim at a car auction with the big idea of using it as a teaching tractor for the kiddos to rake hay with. It was too rough riding, had oil leaks everywhere, unhandy controls, and goofy hyd fittings. But very cheap on fuel, and always started and ran. I then tried to justify keeping it for mowing the yard, but didn't realize until after I bought a new finish mower that it didn't have live power pto. Not my brightest purchase. Stuck it on ebay and doubled my money and had 100's of calls and emails. Everyone thinks they want to own one until they do.

My Uncle has a 825ish something or another with a cab, loader, and 4x4. He gets by with it but only because he likes to tinker and is retired.

I'll say it - they just flat stink!

(14222159127910.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 14222159127910.jpg (161KB - 495 downloads)
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)