AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Regular Lasik vs.Monovision?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Blacksmith
Posted 2/26/2014 09:51 (#3717740)
Subject: Regular Lasik vs.Monovision?

west central Illinois
I am scheduled for Lasik surgery in about 6 weeks. I have to take restasis drops for dry eye until then. The doctor was going over my options yesterday regarding monovision. I had always thought it sounded a little whacky but after he explained it and was able to show me what it would be like using different lenses, it didn't seem like such a bad idea. Have any of you had monovision lasik done and what was your experience with it?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Wheat77
Posted 2/26/2014 10:17 (#3717772 - in reply to #3717740)
Subject: RE: Regular Lasik vs.Monovision?

I have had regular lasik done for well over 10 years now and it has been very good for me.
I do require reading glasses as most everyone does after age 50.
I did a quick search about monovision, and it looks like you need to be sure it is for you.
It mentions a monovision contact lens trial before you decide. That way you get to see
how it works.
dairymanswife
Posted 2/26/2014 14:10 (#3718234 - in reply to #3717772)

John, although I didn't get LASIK surgery I do have mono vision contacts. I really like it. Hated wearing bifocals. It didn't take me long at all to get use to them. In fact I drove home from my appointment with no problems. The first contacts I got the night driving was a little weird. Halos and depth preseption problems. The contacts are much better now. Seizing you have six weeks until surgery maybe ask you doctor about a sample pair of mono vision contacts. Just to see if you would like it
pops this was suppose to be written to Blacksmith

Edited by dairymanswife 2/26/2014 14:11
Highplainsnotillr
Posted 2/26/2014 10:59 (#3717853 - in reply to #3717740)

Western CO
I had monovision lasik about 6 yrs ago when I was 46. I went that way to try to avoid reading glasses as long as I could, having said that even my eye doc has always been surprised when he asks if I use reading glasses since lasik. I really like it and once my brain figured it out it is automatic going back and forth. My left eye is corrected for near vision, so if I close it my near vision is blurry and vise versa with my right. That is the only time I can tell that I have the different correction. I will say this, if you have it done the first couple of weeks may drive you nuts until your brain figures it out. I thought for sure I had done the wrong thing, I couldn't see very well either near or far until my brain got the signals straight - its pretty amazing what our brains can do. I do need reading glasses for really small print. If it's only for a quick read of something really small I use the magnifying glass app on my phone a lot. I wore glasses since I was 5 and had something like 20/400 vision so I really like not having glasses. Another note of caution however is you will need to be extra careful about using safety glasses as I "got by" using my glasses most of the time and never really thought about it.
gene_champ
Posted 2/27/2014 06:49 (#3719750 - in reply to #3717740)

NC Iowa
i decided not to do lasik a few years back. it would just help my distance vision. i would still need reading glasses for anything close. they suggested the monovision. they set up a pair of glasses for me to wear around for a while to see if i thought i would like it. it was tempting to get it done but the possible loss of depth perception was the reason i didn't have it done.
Ret.Fed
Posted 2/27/2014 08:14 (#3719947 - in reply to #3719750)

I had LASIK surgery about12 years ago. Mono vision works great. No regrets. Only problem results if your right handed but left eye dominant. Then having left eye your distance eye, makes shooting difficult.
Blacksmith
Posted 2/27/2014 12:43 (#3720509 - in reply to #3719947)

west central Illinois
I am left handed and left eye dominant. Have never wore contacts but been wearing glasses for 41 years. Can't wait to get rid of them!
isujim
Posted 2/28/2014 22:12 (#3723834 - in reply to #3717740)

ne iowa
I started with monovision but I didn't like it. I didn't like not being able to see distant things clearly. Two eyes are better than one. I'd rather have reading glasses than not have clear distance vision. But now my vision has weakened and I need glasses for distance and reading so I have bifocals. I am not near as near-sighted as I used to be and can get around without glasses. Doc said I could have it re-done but I won't be doing it. I'm 60.
cfcdjb
Posted 3/2/2014 05:38 (#3726321 - in reply to #3717740)

Roann In.
I have Monovision and my eye dr. was very reluctant to do it................until I was very difficult to deal with. Mine was done 10 years ago and I was at that point one the of the few Monovision clients they had done at that point. I love it! Dumped the contacts and glasses and have never looked back. May have to have a little tune up here in the next year or two to correct the "aging" process, but I would do it over again in a heartbeat.
Blacksmith
Posted 5/20/2014 00:38 (#3879262 - in reply to #3717740)

west central Illinois
I had my monovision lasik done this morning and am very happy with the results so far. Immediately I could see better than I could with my old glasses. Still a little eye discomfort but I'm sure that will go away in the next few days. I'm not having any trouble at all seeing at a distance or up close. Amazing!!
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)