AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Old Ford tractor tracks, what are they worth?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

caseihfarmer
Posted 9/17/2013 17:37 (#3333517)
Subject: Old Ford tractor tracks, what are they worth?

East Central, Nebraska
My grandfather has an old massey (TO 20) and ford (9N) tractor and has a set of tracks for them that he would put on in the winter to move some snow. He has recently became very ill and unable to continue to use his tractors. I am thinking about keeping one of the tractors but not sure what to do with all of the other stuff. He needs to sell it all for financial reasons. Most of the stuff will sell just fine on local auctions but he seems to think that maybe these tracks would sell a bit better if I found the right buyer that knew what they are. He claimed that he has had many people stop over the years and ask to buy them. It would have made my life much easier if he would have gotten their names and numbers. I know this site is mostly used for newer equipment but thought maybe someone could point me in the right direction. I am sure their are old tractor forums like this one somewhere. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I am told they are "bombardier half tracks" is that right?

(trac.jpg)

(tracks1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments trac.jpg (54KB - 698 downloads)
Attachments tracks1.jpg (82KB - 654 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
baler brian
Posted 9/17/2013 17:43 (#3333523 - in reply to #3333517)
Subject: RE: Old Ford tractor tracks, what are they worth?

I think Arps made half tracks for farm tractors also. The Company was headquartered in New Holstein WI.
DRester
Posted 9/17/2013 18:07 (#3333557 - in reply to #3333523)
Subject: Re: Old Ford tractor tracks, what are they worth?

Franklinton, LA
I agree with you, I think they are Arps half tracks. The tracks are really nice when pulling logs out of poorly drained or swampy areas. You need good brakes that are properly adjusted when using the tracks. You may want to check around the shop to locate all the brackets, springs and linkages that are required to install the tracks. It could be difficult to purchase or build these small parts.
olwhda
Posted 9/17/2013 21:28 (#3334088 - in reply to #3333523)

Liberty, MO
My dad had a set of them ARPS Half tracks on a 25 Oliver combine, the neighbor had them on a 45 JD Combine mid to late 50's . Dad and the dealers dad drove from Ridgeway MO to New Holstein WI in a early 50's 1/2 ton Ford PU, dad was glad to get home.

After rereading and looking at pictures they are not ARPS half tracks, Arps were all steel.

Edited by olwhda 9/18/2013 06:25
forager
Posted 9/18/2013 04:39 (#3334419 - in reply to #3333523)

Ashland County Ohio
They are Bombardier tracks. They used the rubber belts where Arps used steel links between the cross bars. My dad had both types.
farmdad
Posted 9/17/2013 17:49 (#3333529 - in reply to #3333517)

East central Iowa
Here is a link to an old Ford tractor website. On the right side down a ways in "Community Links" is an 8n discussion forum. (Don't have a 9n section.) You could post your pictures there and see what turns up. You can also list the tracks on the "Classified" section. Neat to see those "track tractors" from the past.

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/tractors.cgi?m=Ford-8n
caseihfarmer
Posted 9/17/2013 17:53 (#3333537 - in reply to #3333529)

East Central, Nebraska
yeah I always got a kick out of watching him move snow with them, and one time he had them out at the lake in the sand dragging the beach that no tractor without tracks would dare. I never drove the tractor with them but always imagined it would be impossible to steer. I am not an old tractor guy. just never got into that. I have a 1086 that my other grandpa bought new and I grew up on but other than that tractor I will keep trading up whenever the market allows me.
JohnW
Posted 9/17/2013 19:24 (#3333682 - in reply to #3333517)

NW Washington
They used those half-track things on Ferguson tractors for a trek to the South Pole one time years ago. That must have been fun.
dwag
Posted 9/17/2013 19:40 (#3333712 - in reply to #3333517)

Kirkwood Il.
Ford Forum at www.ytmag would be a good start.
Jacob Bolson
Posted 9/17/2013 19:59 (#3333756 - in reply to #3333517)

Iowa
I collect Ferguson equipment and would love to have those, but have no idea what they're worth (I've never seen a set for sale). I'd be interested in talking with you about what all your grandfather will be selling (Ferguson-specific). Whatever you do, please do not stick the items on an auction with random Joe R. Auctioneer. Most auctioneers do a good job selling the main brands of antique equipment (green, red, etc.), but more often than not, I see Ford, Ferguson, etc. stuff sell for nowhere near what it's worth because the auctioneer did a poor job representing it. It works out well for those of us collecting the iron but not so well for the seller.
caseihfarmer
Posted 9/17/2013 20:50 (#3333947 - in reply to #3333756)

East Central, Nebraska
I will send you an email.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)