AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Online parts catalog for Peterbilt trucks?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ellison
Posted 1/31/2013 20:18 (#2864866)
Subject: Online parts catalog for Peterbilt trucks?

West KY
I'm looking for some odd parts for my peterblit truck. I've looked but haven't been able to find a "catalog" or cotegorized breakdown of parts by model.... Similar to the john deere parts website. Is there such a thing for these trucks? Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
durallymax
Posted 1/31/2013 20:57 (#2865022 - in reply to #2864866)
Subject: Re: Online parts catalog for Peterbilt trucks?

Wi
No because their parts guys actually know how to find parts and have them in stock generally.

Its more or less the fact that there are tons of trucks on the road and they try to keep a lot of parts similar.

The trucks have to stay running so they do generally hire smarter parts people who know what you are trying to say when you call them.

It would be very hard to have an online site because the site would have to access PACCAR's servers to decipher the VIN number to know which parts you need.

Don't be scared just call the dealer, they will get you going. The bad parts guys dont last long.

This is my experience around here. You call a truck dealer, give them VIN, say what you need, long silence......X amount are in stock, x amount of dollars. If not in stock they tell you the part number so you can call around to the other dealers.

When you call the ag equipment dealers, it goes like, what model again? what brand? whats that part? its not showing it. Let me ask the boss? oh I think we found it, we dont have it, Ill order it. Go to pick up part and it is wrong, go through same process again.

Ag companies have a long way to go on this one.

I call CAT and you can be transferred to any parts person company wide, give them your name, they find your serial, find your parts and have them set out at whatever location or parts drop you prefer.
Ellison
Posted 1/31/2013 21:07 (#2865066 - in reply to #2865022)

West KY
My "ag " parts experience is why I want to look up my own parts. No close dealer and don't want to make multiple trips. But I suppose I'll just call.
cornwgn
Posted 1/31/2013 22:31 (#2865344 - in reply to #2865022)

Hubbard IA Cornpatch USA
Call Peterbilt in des moines and you'll change your mind on how smart they are!!!!
durallymax
Posted 1/31/2013 23:27 (#2865442 - in reply to #2865344)

Wi

cornwgn - 1/31/2013 21:31 Call Peterbilt in des moines and you'll change your mind on how smart they are!!!!

all of them, or the one time you called and got the guy who wasnt.

Still, it seems most farmers are in agreeance that there are very few good ag parts people left when compared to the quality parts service construction and trucking industries offer.

9520Deere - 1/31/2013 20:26 Was in the Peterbilt dealership last fall for some parts, was amazed at the inventory they carry and how well the parts people knew what part you were talking about. A vin number does help the greatly. Thought I could stump the parts people with some cab fabric button covers for bolts that I needed and they came back with a crate and wanted to know what color I needed and even told me how many were required for my truck. Easy to spend some $$$ on parts quicky there.

Many will try to help without the last 6 but its tough for them, some wont even try.

Interior parts like that are so common, they know right where to go.  They don't have a high turnover rate it seems, many of the parts guys there aren't going anywhere. Most places start the new guys in the back stocking and pulling parts before they ever get a chance to see the counter. 

Its very easy to spend a lot.  A lot of things I used to just let go on the tractors because it was too much hassle before online parts. Still is a big hassle. With truck dealers open round the clock or at least till midnite or 1am and smart parts people with things in stock, seems there isn't a missing or broken part ever anymore.

Ellison - 1/31/2013 20:07 My "ag " parts experience is why I want to look up my own parts. No close dealer and don't want to make multiple trips. But I suppose I'll just call.

That is why all ag parts are online now. Not many people have good experiences. Parts are never in stock anyways though.   

9520Deere
Posted 1/31/2013 21:26 (#2865152 - in reply to #2864866)

Alberta Canada
Was in the Peterbilt dealership last fall for some parts, was amazed at the inventory they carry and how well the parts people knew what part you were talking about. A vin number does help the greatly. Thought I could stump the parts people with some cab fabric button covers for bolts that I needed and they came back with a crate and wanted to know what color I needed and even told me how many were required for my truck. Easy to spend some $$$ on parts quicky there.
collegeboy
Posted 1/31/2013 21:32 (#2865171 - in reply to #2864866)
Subject: RE: Online parts catalog for Peterbilt trucks?

Slicker than a Yes album.
A call is best (along with the last 6 digits of your VIN) but here is a start.

http://www.peterbiltparts.com/

http://www.peterbilt.com/parts/parts_resources.aspx
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)