AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DMI moldboard plow parts needed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

olivetroad
Posted 6/14/2012 13:22 (#2429894)
Subject: DMI moldboard plow parts needed

Kingdom of Callaway - Fulton, Mo 65251

I just purchased a DMI model 45 variable width plow. It is serial number 690. I would like to get an owners manual and a set of shares for it. It is a five bottom. It is in pretty good condition except the shares are worn. Does anyone know where I can order parts? My local CaseIH dealer said CaseIH bought out DMI at some point, but he was helpless as far as parts.

(DMI plow pic.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DMI plow pic.jpg (47KB - 225 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tim in WI
Posted 6/14/2012 13:31 (#2429904 - in reply to #2429894)
Subject: RE: DMI moldboard plow parts needed

Embarrass WI

The DMI that we had used moldboard parts from a White/Oliver.

Shoup should have them, or at least they used to.

CIH bought DMI, but DMI had quit making moldboard plows long before that....guess is about 1980? 

Badger
Posted 6/14/2012 14:23 (#2429962 - in reply to #2429904)
Subject: Re: DMI moldboard plow parts needed

Huntley Montana
Make sure what style bottoms are on it, They might be IH, White, or JD
cfcdjb
Posted 6/14/2012 14:42 (#2429986 - in reply to #2429894)

Roann In.
Any Wiese dealer can get parts for that plow. DMI used the "Star" bottom, had their own unique plow share bolt pattern, however, as mentioned above, most of the Oliver/WFE Raydex bottom parts will interchange on the DMI bottom, shin, moldboard etc. Also used a different bolt pattern on the coulter blade, same as Blue Jet. As I recall, the landsides were unique to that bottom also, not the same as Oliver/WFE. Good plow, well made, lots of trash clearance, was among the very first adjustable width plows made.
olivetroad
Posted 6/14/2012 16:27 (#2430096 - in reply to #2429986)

I noticed that what adjusts the plowing width is missing. It is either a small hydraulic cylinder or a manual ratchet type. I guess either one would work, it would just depend on if you wanted to adjust it while plowing? Which was used?
Tim in WI
Posted 6/14/2012 17:54 (#2430188 - in reply to #2430096)

Embarrass WI

Ours used a small(2-1/2x8?) hydraulic cylinder with a flow restrictor.

olivetroad
Posted 6/14/2012 18:26 (#2430230 - in reply to #2430188)

Did you actually change the width very often? I mainly bought it to maintain terraces and plow some ground where we dozed out a bunch of fencerows and old buildings and I wanted the clearance for tree sprouts. I don't know why I would need to change it once I got it set and scoured up?
bkadds
Posted 6/14/2012 19:51 (#2430338 - in reply to #2430230)

Dalhart, Texas
You might change it when plowing in the dead furrows, at least we did when we plowed with it. Awesome plow and we still have one that has six bottoms that we last used years ago when it seemed to not blow so much in the spring time. I use it now when I have a deep sprinkler track that needs filling. Works great for low spots to keep water from standing there and get it to run away from wheel track. Good luck.
Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 6/14/2012 20:01 (#2430351 - in reply to #2430338)

Chebanse, IL.....

I can't help the original poster much, but we had 3 of them at once. A 7 btm,  6, & 4 btm Hydra-Wides. We adjusted them on the go fairly often. Widening them helped when you got to heavy stalk trash areas where it looked like they might block. Also, in sandier fields, we could widen them  & cut a little wider swath. Controlling the width also helped when you got to the last pass or so. You could straighten it out so that your final pass was pretty true & kept the furrow wheel in the ground all the time without it jumping up if it ran into ground already plowed from the previous pass. They were good plows for us. Gave them away though in the end.

(DMI plows.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DMI plows.jpg (67KB - 207 downloads)
olivetroad
Posted 6/16/2012 13:03 (#2432976 - in reply to #2430351)

Great photo! Why is it we break out the camera for "special things" but usually we never photograph the day to day things like field work? Then years later those are what we wish we had pics of.
datyerdog?
Posted 6/14/2012 20:52 (#2430406 - in reply to #2429894)

We use a 5 bottom hydra-wide to plow terraces. Adjust it alot to shape the terrace face.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)