AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I want a tire machine?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

gilb2you
Posted 4/19/2012 10:25 (#2343790)
Subject: I want a tire machine?

NE mt
Sure seems like getting tires fixed is getting expensive, so for that and convenience i was thinking of getting a tire machine for the shop. There are some on ebay, triumph i think is the brand that seems pretty reasonable, from 1000 to 1500 seems like a nice one, the few used ones that i know of that have sold here are in that range so was wondering if anyone has any experience with those cheaper new ones. Or any other places to check out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
90_pere
Posted 4/19/2012 10:30 (#2343801 - in reply to #2343790)
Subject: Re: I want a tire machine?

Sheridan, IL
where you from ? There is a company in nebraska selling new tire machines for 1500 to 1800 .
gilb2you
Posted 4/19/2012 10:33 (#2343807 - in reply to #2343801)

NE mt
In montana, so a long way from anywhere. I have seen that ad years ago i think. Any idea what brand they are? I normall despise generic tools but sure seems to be a huge price difference on tire machines! And of course the shipping of which was included on the ones on ebay
BigFarmin
Posted 4/19/2012 11:32 (#2343871 - in reply to #2343790)

I have this changer.

http://www.completehydraulic.com/tire-changers-tc150.html

It's a Complete TC-150. I think it's just a generic, Chinese made changer that's sold under many different brand names. It's been a good machine. For $200 more, you can get the same machine with the air blaster to seat beads. I get by without it as we already had a bead seater made from an old air tank to seat beads on truck tires. I use that if I have a stubborn tire. I've gotten a couple of parts from Complete, and they are way over-priced on parts, but it hasn't required very many parts. I say a $1000 tire changer is way better than no tire changer!

Of course, after you get a changer, you're going to want a balancer. I haven't gotten one yet. I roll all my tires in the back door of the local tire shop and they balance them up for me, but I'd rather be able to do it myself.

Edited by BigFarmin 4/19/2012 11:34
Fred
Posted 4/19/2012 11:51 (#2343897 - in reply to #2343790)

south east SD
Ok, I will ask a silly question. And make a comment that will sure burn some people. What kind of tires do you want to repair? If car, pickup I would just buy a plug repair kit. I took a new tire to a repair shop and when I came back they just put in a plug. I said WHAT! This tire is new and expensive. They said if it looses air they would repair for free! Done many and almost never see a plug leak. So I went and bought my own. I have fixed many a tire with a plug and to date 2 have failed on worn out tires. I still take my tires off to repair, but you can do it on the vehicle. On a slow turning tire ( anything slower than 40 MPH ) I have went to the "snot" in the tire. Any time they leak the snot will plug it unless it's the rim. Had a MFWD with slow leak, same CO-OP came out with a tube and a bucket of snot and said they could do either? Put the snot in both tires that were worn out. 4 years later I just replaced them and they NEVER leaked air! Took the old snot and put it in my new tire. Have a 18-4-46 that went flat that had a tube. Took the tube out and put in snot and it is holding good, no leaks anywhere. That is my 2 cents worth

Edited by Fred 4/19/2012 11:53
jd-tom
Posted 4/19/2012 18:52 (#2344337 - in reply to #2343897)

SW Minnesota
Our local tire shop told us several years ago that it was illegal to put plugs in vehicle tires. I don't know if this is a state or federal law or that their insurance company would not cover them if there was an accident caused by this. I think it's still OK to put plugs in tractor & implement tires.

I've been thinking about getting some sort of tire machine myself. Our local tire shop is closing soon and there won't be anyone within 15 miles to fix the larger tires (I'm guessing/hoping that the local auto shops that install new car tires will fix tires of that size yet). And like it has been stated, it is getting expensive to have tires repaired, especially the larger ones.
BigFarmin
Posted 4/19/2012 12:07 (#2343911 - in reply to #2343790)
Subject: RE: I want a tire machine?

I can't speak to the intentions of the OP, but personally, I hardly ever buy new tires. I watch for deals, and look at swap meets and flea markets. For example, I just put this set of BFGoodrich tires on my pickup that I got off a wrecked truck at a junk yard. All 4 were like new. I paid $100 for the set. That pays for a cheap tire changer pretty quickly. People buy new pickups and replace the tires as soon as they get them. I've bought a couple sets of their old tires pretty cheap. It's also convenient to be able to do your own repairs and not have to use the plugs, although I've used plenty of plugs in my day. I knicked the lawnmower tire the other day on a fence post. Got it just where the sidewall and tread meet. Plug probably wouldn't have held there, but taking it off and putting a patch on it worked fine and I was mowing again within 15 minutes.

Having a changer probably isn't for everyone, but if you like that kind of thing, it can be very convenient to have.

(tire.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tire.jpg (58KB - 1043 downloads)
SEK Farmer
Posted 4/19/2012 12:45 (#2343952 - in reply to #2343790)

Southeastern Kansas
I have a tire coats changer that will fix up to a 16" tire. That gets pickup tires and car tires and hardly any implement tires or semi tires. Most implement tires today are huge and very difficult to break down. I take them to the tire shop and they complain all the time that there are hardly any tools to work on them. Semi tires are easy to handle after you get the hang of it. I do not know how much money it will take to get a changer to do implement tires. Maybe someone will chime in on that. I do feel that the generic every day changer of yesteryear is limited as to what it can do.
hoot435
Posted 4/19/2012 13:24 (#2343998 - in reply to #2343952)

oklahoma panhandle
i have a Ranger tire machine ,i am sure it is from china but it will do implement tires, and it works good.
Greasemonkey
Posted 4/19/2012 13:43 (#2344023 - in reply to #2343998)

SE SD
We bought a used coats 7060 and it does tires up to 22 inch. Will do implement tires as well. Been pretty handy for us and saved alot of trips to town.
ccjersey
Posted 4/19/2012 13:55 (#2344033 - in reply to #2343790)

Faunsdale, AL
We have an old Coates 20/20. Not as versatile as the newer style that spins the tire/rim to mount and dismount. The thing that limits what it will handle is having the bead breaker underneath the rim as the tire is mounted on it instead of on the side where you roll the wheel up to it like the newer type everyone has.

Still will handle a lot of implement, car and pickup tires. I can handle up to a 40x14x16 airplane tire with cut beads I get from Gensco (with a tire iron and sometimes a sledge hammer for assistance). That and a 11.00 x 16 front tractor are about the limit.

Fixing tires isn't fun, but it's a lot better with a machine. I use a lot of plugs and stop leak too.

When a rear tractor tire with a tube in goes flat here, as long as it's on the rim, we take the nut off the tube stem, push it into the tire, pump in a gallon of stop leak and push in a tubeless stem to air it back up. Saves a LOT of labor. I would mount all new rear tractor tires up tubeless if I could get them to seat on the rim. We have a bead cheater tank, also use some ether etc, but some of them are so narrow from sitting in the warehouse, they're almost impossible to get popped out. Those, I usually can find an old tube laying around that will do enough to inflate and seat the beads so I can put in the stopleak and stem as above. I would rather pay for the stopleak than a new tube.
Darrenschmitt
Posted 4/19/2012 14:00 (#2344050 - in reply to #2344033)

Southern, Indiana
Check out GregSmithEquipment.com, you can get brand new ones for not much more depending on the accessories you choose
jamesb
Posted 4/19/2012 16:23 (#2344209 - in reply to #2343790)

South east Saskatchewan
I bought a tire changer and balacer from these guys. Works good. Figuring out the balacer took a while. the bead breaker seems to work on the semi tires as well.
http://nationalautotools.com/ntc910-nt550-combo-package-free-freigh...
Tim in WI
Posted 4/19/2012 19:59 (#2344417 - in reply to #2343790)

Embarrass WI

I kept checking, it took a couple months but a used John Bean(Snap-On)rim clamp change turned up on Craigslist for $600. I dropped what I was doing and drove 70 miles and grabbed it, I had to wait for the guy to change a couple tires before I could have it. It was a guy with a one-man shop who did local service work/tires and was getting a new machine with more capacity.

Got the changer, started looking for a balancer, saw one on Craigslist for $75-figured no one wanted the old bubble balancers and I would wait a week or so, then buy it for $30-40. I was wrong, it sold in less than a day. Found that there's quite a few folks seeking the old bubble style balancers. I kept looking, scored one off Ebay for $125 but it was brand-spanking new military surplus and included the large wheel adapter. I have balanced a couple dozen tires so far with no problems. Mine is a Coats, like this one.

Like was said above, being able to mount used tires for little/no cost makes a big difference, used tires become much easier to deal with. I picked up a set of new take-off tires for my parts-chaser truck for $300(Michelins!), it's quicker to mount them at home than it is to drive to town.

beenthere
Posted 4/19/2012 20:09 (#2344428 - in reply to #2343790)

i fixed car, truck, tractor tires for 10 years before i started farming. there is no way i would own a tire machine. how many flats do you have a year, i don't think the investment would be worth it, for the few flats people have now a days with the new tires on the market compared to 10-15 years ago.
PeteMN
Posted 4/20/2012 01:36 (#2345047 - in reply to #2344428)

E.Central MN
Probably not worth buying a new tire machine for the cars or pickups, but a used machine can be a real time saver for wagon or haybine tires that go flat after normal business hours on Friday. Its handy when we just want to stick a different tire on so we can get going again. A few times we've helped out people that had a flat or needed tires and didn't have the resources to buy new ones.
nemofarmer
Posted 4/19/2012 20:43 (#2344477 - in reply to #2343790)

Perry, MO
We had the same thoughts as you. Here is a link to the Harbor Freight tire machine. http://www.harborfreight.com/semiautomatic-tire-changer-with-air-op... They will let you use one of their 20% off coupons so it cost $1199. I'm sure it may not be the best if you are running a tire shop but hope it will be good enough to use on the farm. They said it would be 10-20 days when I ordered but the next day I got a tracking number with a delivery date in 5 days. You can get a two year warranty for another $170.
lukelem
Posted 4/19/2012 20:58 (#2344500 - in reply to #2343790)

waupun wisconsin
Whats wrong with spoon bars?
CaseIH2388
Posted 4/19/2012 21:12 (#2344537 - in reply to #2344500)

Strasburg North Dakota
I have an Atlas from Greg Smith Equipment. Had it since 2005, been real happy with it about $1500 with air blast.
Avg. Joe
Posted 4/19/2012 23:00 (#2344822 - in reply to #2344537)

Elmwood, Ne. Just East of Lincoln
I bought a used Coats 40-40 SL about 10 years ago from a local tire wholesaler. Wouldn't want to be without a machine. Weekends and holidays it's always open and theres no wait. I traded it for a new "rim clamp" style 4 months ago. I bought it from Your Next Tire in Firth Ne. It works great and was reasonably priced. It is a Dannmar brand. They ship them in from overseas. They run from about $1200 to $2400 and they sell a lot of them. I bought the big one and it handled a 24 inch traction tire off of a front wheel assist utility tractor with ease. They offer free shipping and I think they throw in a bubble balancer. Another advantage of a rim clamp is you don't have to scratch the edges of your nicer car and truck rims. It never touches the rim. There on the web at yournexttire.com. They also sell used machines that they trade in and refurbish. 888-513-8473 is phone.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)