AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Heavy duty stack movers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

blacknight
Posted 1/11/2012 13:23 (#2155611)
Subject: Heavy duty stack movers

Need some input here from you guys up in the Dakotas&Sandhills here in nebraska. Purchased a 16x28 Lahman stackmover back in 1988&its always been nothing but a problem even when it wasn't loaded to its 10ton capacity don't think it was ever built heavy enough to begin with, constant axle&hub hitch&frame failures its got welded on more times than you can shake a stick at, move every thing from the big ole round stacks,loaf stacks, round bales,&big squares. Tired of messing with it! Theorectically speaking here whats the best stack mover on the market guys? Need your inputs, in the market for another big mover, there are still some places out side of haulin hay with a semi that a stackmover is needed! Fire away!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
German Shepherd
Posted 1/11/2012 13:55 (#2155663 - in reply to #2155611)
Subject: RE: Heavy duty stack movers

Around here, if you buy a new mover, it's always a Lorenz, Made in Watertown, SD.  I've got a 12 X 29 McKee but if I ever trade up, it will be a bigger Lorenz.

I've heard from a few people that the new tires they put on at the factory are worthless and usually only last a year or two, even if you only haul 23 bales.

I bought some straw from the neighbor gal and she bought a new Lorenz a year ago, and besides tire trouble, she didn't like how fast the bed loaded (PTO) and had to cable the stacks together to keep from pulling them apart.  Having a hydraulic drive myself, I can't say for sure, but I think she just needs to get used to backing under faster and give her heck.   She got rid of an old Lahman, too.

My cousing bought a new one a few years ago, and his only beef was the tires.

Edited by Sheep Herder 1/11/2012 14:33
blackshirts
Posted 1/11/2012 14:12 (#2155681 - in reply to #2155663)
Subject: Re: Heavy duty stack movers

Western Nebraska
We have 3 farmhand stack movers. One has a hydra fork. Get along pretty good with them.
blacknight
Posted 1/11/2012 21:43 (#2156470 - in reply to #2155681)

Got a question blackshirt, neighbor asked about chain links or possibly new chains for his old farmhand mover, whats availibility on them big ole chains anymore, anything left out there?any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
rancherman
Posted 1/11/2012 21:56 (#2156523 - in reply to #2156470)

Call Dave Musil at Musil Machine, Grand Island Nebraska
308 382 7044.
He quoted me a couple weeks ago $3000 for 6 new chain. These would have the lugs all the way around too. He said he is also making various other parts for stakmovers too... links, cylinders, rollers, bedways, shafts, spindles...

He makes these right in his facility. I know 3000 is huge, but compared to a new one, maybe not so bad. I just got done putting 26 ply aircraft tires on it, and replaced those cheesy wheel bearing/ hubs and changed over to REAL spindles and hubs. Other than the paint, I have a pretty solid machine now.

Edited by rancherman 1/11/2012 21:59
NorthernNE
Posted 1/24/2019 14:25 (#7269356 - in reply to #2156523)

rancherman
Posted 1/11/2012 21:44 (#2156474 - in reply to #2155663)

I must be a slow learner, but for years, i'd have to play with the clutch, to match my chain speed... Until one day i left the 1000spd pto in the tractor, and had an adapter to convert it to the mover's 540.... A perfect match! The hay doesn't ball up and create a dam in front of the rollers. It just sucks the pile onboard the same speed as the tractor is moving rearward.

We all know what happens as soon as the tractor starts to spin a little... (I am not blessed with mfwd)..
I might have old welded up junk, but it sure beats the good ol days of pulling a loose stack on with a cable and winch..
John SD
Posted 1/11/2012 20:34 (#2156255 - in reply to #2155611)
Subject: RE: Heavy duty stack movers

Sorry for your bad luck. I have a 16x33 Lahman stackmover and really have no complaints. I think mine is the 18 ton model. I did break the end off one of the outside beams which was my fault for backing into too many haystacks. Also it didn't have much of a weld on it in the first place.

I do like the oscillating/walking tandem axles. I've never had a hub or axle problem. No problems with the mover except this fall I had a flat tire, didn't know it and ruined the tire. Just got the new $256 tire put on. Originals are Goodyear 12.5x16.1 super singles.

The wheels have 10 studs. It's a lot handier to take a wheel off this mover the normal way instead of dropping the whole axle assembly out like on the old Lahman single axle movers.

I admit I only do my own stackmoving and don't use it a lot. It is really too much for my MF 2775 at times. When backing under the stack it takes the weight off the tractor hitch at midpoint. A 150hp minimum MFWD would be better.

Edited by John SD 1/11/2012 20:41
rancherman
Posted 1/11/2012 21:35 (#2156441 - in reply to #2156255)

I put on 26 ply airplane tires under my stakmover 2 years ago. I think with shipping, they came mounted on new rims, and filled with goop. for about $200 each.
Lord help me if I ever need to break one down... The sidewalls and tread face are a tad over an inch thick. They assured me those tires were 'shaved' just inside the bead to make it somewhat easier to remove/remount. I hope I don't have to find out!

Edited by rancherman 1/11/2012 21:36
blacknight
Posted 1/11/2012 22:56 (#2156702 - in reply to #2156441)

Thanks a million rancherman! you have saved the day! I'm only 45miles from grand island, I've been drivin past that musil machine on the north side of G.I. for years never knowin what was even in there!!!!! Good lord!!!!! What a awesome chunck of information here! thanks to all you guys fer yer inputs its been a big help!
blacknight
Posted 1/13/2012 00:22 (#2158957 - in reply to #2156702)

Once again guys thanks for all your inputs here! you"ve all been a Big help! Thanks, a million!
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)