AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Aluminum livestock trailers Featherlite vs. Sooner
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

LazyJDairy
Posted 11/11/2011 19:54 (#2045659)
Subject: Aluminum livestock trailers Featherlite vs. Sooner

Central East River South Dakota
Hey all, we are interested in purchasing a new 7 x 24 stock trailer. The two we are looking at are both in Mitchell, SD. Here is the stats....

Featherlite
http://www.iversonfeatherlite.com/RV-Special/2012-FEATHERLITE-8127-...
has the new RUMBAR rubber floor, sooner guys says if you don't buy my trailer, buy a featherlite, but NEVER buy a rubber floor. Any truth in those words, or just the same salesman B.S.?
Rumbar is about an $800 option

Sooner
http://www.goldiesautosales.com/2012_Sooner_7X24%20Aluminum%20Stock...
has slam latches on all gates, including rear.

Both trailers will be upgraded to 14 ply tires, and the advertised price does not reflect the quoted price.

Any thoughts? Thanks in Advance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jd9510
Posted 11/11/2011 20:07 (#2045686 - in reply to #2045659)
Subject: Re: Aluminum livestock trailers Featherlite vs. Sooner

SW Iowa
You should consider a wilson.
LazyJDairy
Posted 11/11/2011 20:11 (#2045700 - in reply to #2045686)

I did a search and see a lot of people prefer Wilson, and I will give them there opinion. However, I have never been a fan of Wilson goosenecks, pots I am sure they rule the roost, but never been in love with a stamped or laser cut trailer. I know that shouldn't be a factor but, just our preference. I appreciate your input, but we are gonna pass on the Wilsons.
LazyJDairy
Posted 11/11/2011 20:28 (#2045735 - in reply to #2045700)

i just noticed we are both Lazy J farms, weird or what?
Posted 11/11/2011 20:24 (#2045722 - in reply to #2045659)

west central Iowa
Wilson would be my first choice too, I've been around wilson and the two you mention and the other two see the welder for repair a lot more than a wilson. But if you are dead set against a wilson you could look at an Exiss. They have 7x24 exiss advertised in Watertown for $14400 and they have an 8 year structure warranty.
LazyJDairy
Posted 11/11/2011 20:25 (#2045728 - in reply to #2045722)

Exiss is Sooners economical sister, same company owns them both, and it doesn't quite have the options, strength of a sooner
Posted 11/11/2011 21:19 (#2045831 - in reply to #2045728)

west central Iowa
Didn't know they were owned by the same company. I see they own featherlite as well, all the more reason to buy a wilson or something else to me. Why does the exiss have a better warranty if it is cheaper? ,
LazyJDairy
Posted 11/12/2011 08:55 (#2046364 - in reply to #2045831)

all three are owned by Universal Trailers, I believe Exciss and Sooner are made in the same factory, a lot of similarities, same warranty, just the sooner has a beefer frame and support, and also has the smooth sided interioir walls. I don't know why featherlite is so much more different than the other two.
2+2, MN
Posted 11/11/2011 21:21 (#2045835 - in reply to #2045728)

New Ulm, MN
we have ran a Keifer steel for almost 15 years, it has slam gates, I love them! Its leaving soon for aluminum. Not gettting a nother 7xanything, next one will be as wide as we can. New Kiefer Aluminum 7x24 is around 19,000 at dealer here. nice trailer, I too wont buy a Wilson Goosneck.
wayneNWAR
Posted 11/11/2011 21:20 (#2045832 - in reply to #2045659)
Subject: RE: Aluminum livestock trailers Featherlite vs. Sooner

north west arkansas
I have a 7x30 featherlite and I have been very happy with it, but I dont know anything about the rubber floor. Mine has an aluminum floor and it has been fine.
ghfarm
Posted 11/11/2011 22:20 (#2045966 - in reply to #2045659)

SWIL
We just bought an eby this spring i think they are the best. We just love ours.
98indy500
Posted 11/11/2011 22:28 (#2045989 - in reply to #2045659)

Dallas, South Dakota
I have a 2005 7x24 featherlite. Mine has the aluminum floor too. I powerwash mine after every use and store it inside. Looks like new. Awesome trailers in my opinion. Id probly consider selling mine next spring as I am getting out of the cattle business after I sell calves in February.
Red Blood
Posted 11/11/2011 23:57 (#2046147 - in reply to #2045659)

Eastern Nebraska
Check out a Merritt; lots of room under the gooseneck for more pickup bed to trailer clearance. I would never buy an aluminum trailer thats not a Merritt or Wilson. They make thier goosenecks just like thier pots and thats all you see on the road. When a Featherlite is the same price or close to a Wilson or Merritt I just can't believe that people actually buy Featherlite trailers.
t-boss
Posted 11/12/2011 00:20 (#2046173 - in reply to #2046147)

sc ia
Red Blood - 11/11/2011 22:57

Check out a Merritt; lots of room under the gooseneck for more pickup bed to trailer clearance. I would never buy an aluminum trailer thats not a Merritt or Wilson. They make thier goosenecks just like thier pots and thats all you see on the road. When a Featherlite is the same price or close to a Wilson or Merritt I just can't believe that people actually buy Featherlite trailers.

When I bought my Featherlite 10 years ago it was $4000 cheaper than a Wilson.
Red Blood
Posted 11/12/2011 00:23 (#2046177 - in reply to #2045659)

Eastern Nebraska
Price that same trailer today and set back and wonder. I bet they are within a grand!!
dirtclod
Posted 11/12/2011 01:04 (#2046199 - in reply to #2045659)

Idaho
Any of the trailers listed would have to be thousands of dollars cheaper than the Wilson (1st choice) or a Merritt (2nd choic) before I would even consider anything else. I have yet to see a feathelite Bull hauler, just my 2 cents
LazyJDairy
Posted 11/12/2011 09:04 (#2046373 - in reply to #2045659)

I feel like the thread is getting away from me. I do appreciate everyone's input. But I have to ask, on every other comparison, if always comes down to dealer support, wouldn't you think that holds true now? I am about 65 miles from Mitchell, and these guys sell alot of trailers in our area. We haul Holsteins exclusively, and most of our long runs, to Cimpls in Yankton, SD (165 miles) are with our culls, not the strongest, sure-footed animals in the world. Has anyone been around or experienced the new RUMBAR floor in Featherlite? Would that help or hinder traction? http://www.fthr.com/promo/default.aspx?url=/rumber-flooring&utm_sou...

We have made up our mind, if we are going to buy, it will be 1 of these 2 manufactors. I appreciate all of the Wilson, Eby, Merritt, etc fans out there, and maybe we would regret it, but that is our choice. Any more input on the two trailers that i have linked to my original post would be appreciated. Thank you.
farmerbroun
Posted 11/12/2011 10:35 (#2046477 - in reply to #2046373)

I believe the down side to a rumber floor is they are slick. Hooves cannot get a grip on it. Seems like they are supposed to be soft, but don't think it works that way.

seedcleaner
Posted 11/12/2011 10:55 (#2046506 - in reply to #2045659)

Mid-Missouri
I don't see how dealer support is critical to a trailer, except possibly during the warranty time within the first year. If the trailer needs that much work, its the wrong one.

As far as the floor, we have the rumber on a steel trailer.

Pros: good traction, as it has large square tread protruding from the top, doesn't rot, soft, etc...
Cons: hard to wash out, as the boards are too close, not allowing manure, water, etc... to fall through easier.

If I bought an aluminum trailer, I am pretty sure I would get an aluminum floor. If it is too slick, there are a few ways to fix that.
Nufarmer01
Posted 11/12/2011 11:10 (#2046518 - in reply to #2046506)

NCKS
We have both types of floors, rumber and aluminum. Prefer the aluminum treadplate. Rumber seems to be to slick. Have a Trailmann and a Wilson.
The_Owl
Posted 11/12/2011 11:44 (#2046533 - in reply to #2045659)
Subject: What axles on each?

Watford City, ND

I've been around both, a lot more so a featherlite. 

I'd pick a Featherlite, simply because that's what everyone here seems to run.  Both trailers probably have the same axles, and that's the biggest service area.

Shop price, casue both are well made enough that its impossible to predict which trailer is the better to own until AFTER you own it.

Fot what its worth, I'd bet 8 outta 10 trailers in ND sold any more are featherlites (alum's) - they have huge dealer lots in Mandan and Dickinson, probably the biggest reason why...

danceswithcows
Posted 11/12/2011 19:48 (#2046948 - in reply to #2045659)

SWIL
I have a sooner and I like it. It seems really stout and it pulls nice and easy even with my gas pickup. The type of side "boards" they use don't let dents show through on the outside and I think the smooth exterior helps it pull easier. The floor doesn't get too slick if you clean it regularly. I put straw on the floor before I load and don't have problems. I haven't seen many others on the road, but I won't trade for someone's featherlite. I can't imagine that you wouldn't be happy with the sooner.
ofarmer
Posted 11/12/2011 22:39 (#2047163 - in reply to #2045659)

Southern Tier NY
Have an 8X20 gooseneck Featherlite, 3 years old, hauled lots of animals over some very rough roads, zero problems so far. Completely satisfied. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)