AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dodge transmission problems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

one farmer
Posted 10/26/2011 19:46 (#2020729)
Subject: Dodge transmission problems

SW MN
I have a 1992 Dodge, with a Cummins and automatic tranny.
When you start it in the morning and put it in reverse it will make grinding, squeally noise for a little bit before it moves, then it will be fine the rest of the day.
Then the next morning the same thing all over.
Is the tranny going out or is there some simple fix?

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tim in WI
Posted 10/26/2011 21:41 (#2020983 - in reply to #2020729)
Subject: RE: Dodge transmission problems

Embarrass WI

Not a 'fix' but something to try. When you first start it up, put the gear selector in 'N' for about 10 seconds. The go to whatever gear you want to use.

A guy told me, the converter will drain down overnite. The trans pump does not pump in 'P' but it does in 'N'. 5 or 10 seconds will fill the converter and then you are good to go. I've been doing this with my 94 for at least 10 years.

Mentioned it at the Dodge dealer and he told me I didn't know what I was talking about. Regardless of what he said, it works with my truck.

Hopefully the trying to move with no oil has not damaged your tranny.

Offroadnt
Posted 10/26/2011 22:21 (#2021081 - in reply to #2020983)
Subject: Re: Dodge transmission problems

Southern Alberta Canada
The transmission pump always runs with the engine or your transmission wouldn't work, the only difference between "P" and "N" is the park latch is engaged in "P", have you tried letting the truck idle in "P" for ten seconds before you move? Should be the same thing. All torque converters drain down when not running, that's why you check transmission oil level with the engine running.
I think your getting some slippage in your reverse clutch when you put it in reverse, does it do it in drive also?
one farmer
Posted 10/26/2011 22:32 (#2021114 - in reply to #2021081)

SW MN
After it seems to get working it is fine all day.
We used it this fall to pull a few 500 bushel wagons and everything seemed to work fine.
It is like it has to prime itself the 1st time you use that day, then it is fine the rest of the day.
farmechspector
Posted 10/26/2011 23:58 (#2021284 - in reply to #2021081)

ECMN
Offroadnt - 10/26/2011 21:21

The transmission pump always runs with the engine or your transmission wouldn't work, the only difference between "P" and "N" is the park latch is engaged in "P", have you tried letting the truck idle in "P" for ten seconds before you move? Should be the same thing. All torque converters drain down when not running, that's why you check transmission oil level with the engine running.
I think your getting some slippage in your reverse clutch when you put it in reverse, does it do it in drive also?

I have never worked on one of these transmissions but I agree that unless the Mopar folks have some new fangled design the trans pump is most likely driven by the torque converter hub. So I agree that when the engine is running the pump is pumping fluid somewhere. However I have overhauled several Torqueflite 904 & 727s in my day. Both of these transmission have different fluid path between park and neutral. One difference is that I'm almost certain that the oil is not pumped through the cooler circuit in Park. Which I think (but am not certain) the cooler is either fed or is feeding flow into or from the converter. So if you looked at the dipstick on one of these trannys from the '60s - 80's vintage is would tell you to check the fluid level hot idling in neutral. If you started it up and checked it in Park the level read higher then if checked it in neutral. So if the good old engineers followed suite on these trannys I would guess that what Tim in WI is saying may have some merit.
davpal
Posted 10/27/2011 02:44 (#2021369 - in reply to #2021081)

Mid Michigan
Wrong, they don't pump oil in park. It has to do with the valve body not the pump itself. The torque convertors drain down if they sit long enough and they have to refill themselves. You can put a kit in them that has an anti drainback valve that you pull the pan to install. It will take care of the problem. Not all torque convertors drain down when they are not running. I can get in our fords and they take right off. Evidently they have a anti drainback valve or are set up differently than the dodge's. If you go to the Dodge forums they have this subject all over the place.
jps51248
Posted 10/26/2011 23:25 (#2021240 - in reply to #2020983)
Subject: RE: Dodge transmission problems

nw Iowa
I do the n position on a "95 Dodge. Works in neutral, not park!!! jps
nebfarmer
Posted 10/27/2011 05:59 (#2021398 - in reply to #2020729)

SE Nebraska, Near Misery and Cans Ass!
Daypal is right , they don't pump in park. That's why hot and idling in neutral is the check proceedure. Those trannys never did like to back up. specially first thing in the morning. Just neutral or even forward with the foot on the brake without moving before backing up really helps. If we were going to pull a load right off the bat in cold weather we always put the transfercase in neutral and warmed the tranny first. Ran a couple 200,000 without repair after blowing our first one and getting lectured by the local Mopar Man.

Edited by nebfarmer 10/27/2011 06:02
Offroadnt
Posted 10/27/2011 08:35 (#2021587 - in reply to #2021398)

Southern Alberta Canada
They have to pump oil in park, if they don't you couldn't idle them in park for more than five minutes or they would seize up... Stalling an unfilled torque converter first thing in the morning sounds like the worst thing you could do being as your spinning it within itself. Maybe that's why your only getting that kind of mileage out of them.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)