AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Royally Disgusted with Westendorf & Deere Dealer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

pbutler
Posted 3/24/2011 10:43 (#1686997)
Subject: Royally Disgusted with Westendorf & Deere Dealer

Macon, IL
Couple of you guys warned me about Westendorf-I should have listened-but I liked the way they go on and off tractor-so I ordered one back in December through local deere dealer. Took tractor in Early Feb to have it installed with loader and pallet forks.

Long story short it has been almost 2 months and my tractor is still there. Even though my tractor is listed as one supported for this model loader-they can't make brackets fit. Got lots of excuses along the way, Farm Show in Louisville, etc. etc. Now Deere dealer is telling me Westendorf is telling them to make some shims to make it fit....not to thrilled about homemade shims on a new loader.

Dealer says support has been so poor this is the last Westendorf loader they will ever sell-well hell-that sure makes me feel a lot better since they recommended it when they sold it to me!

Not sure what to do, they can't say when they will get it-but keep hearing "soon"-heard that for last 6 weeks. I need tractor to mow soon and would like to fix driveways before planting time.

I was a real moron and paid for it all on my last monthly bill-including install which hasn't been done.

What would you do now? Just go pick the tractor up and tell them to return loader? Thinking I am giving them one more week and then tractor is coming home one way or the other.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Buster 50
Posted 3/24/2011 10:52 (#1687008 - in reply to #1686997)
Subject: Re: Royally Disgusted with Westendorf & Deere Dealer

North West IA/western AZ
What tractor was that Paul? Westendorf has been making loaders for alot of years so you'd think they'd have mounts to fit unless you bought a brand new model and I missed it.
pbutler
Posted 3/24/2011 10:59 (#1687021 - in reply to #1687008)

Macon, IL
Massey 255. 80s tractor.

They said they had brackets-brochure shows it-but ones they sent don't fit. I haven't seen replacements but Deere guy told me they don't fit either-at which point Westendorf apparently dumped it on the dealer.

Edited by pbutler 3/24/2011 11:00
Oliver1
Posted 3/24/2011 11:19 (#1687061 - in reply to #1687021)

Alton, Ia
What model of loader? Somethings not right about this, they are usually pretty good about tractor mounts. Call Westendorf directly, the designers will gladly talk to you about your issues and help you out. 877-423-0070

I don't care what the issues are, but two months at the dealer is ridiculous. We own this equipment to use it, not let it sit.

Edited by Oliver1 3/24/2011 11:20
pbutler
Posted 3/24/2011 11:26 (#1687074 - in reply to #1687061)

Macon, IL
TA-26

http://www.loaders.com/aspx/product/default.aspx?productid=9
hinfarm
Posted 3/24/2011 11:55 (#1687118 - in reply to #1687074)

Amherst WI
If you do get it home don't go digging too deep while your back dragging your driveway with it. You will bend or break the latches on it and th eloader will come off. I have a TA26 on a 7710 Ford and it did that twice on me, both times denting the hood up. Other than that it has been a decent loader.

Oh I almost forgot, their snap attach lock system on their buckets suck. You better have it at the angle you want it at when you unhook the bucket or else the side with the least resistance will move while the other side stays put.
Kooiker
Posted 3/24/2011 13:13 (#1687220 - in reply to #1687118)

If you think WD's snap attach sucks make sure you don't get a Deere loader with Deere's own piss poor design of a quick tach bucket.

You'll think the WD is a Cadillac setup compared to that POS design.  

TD15
Posted 3/24/2011 13:56 (#1687294 - in reply to #1687220)

I have a 726 Deere loader and I don't have any issues connecting and disconnecting.
Steve
Posted 3/24/2011 14:36 (#1687347 - in reply to #1687294)

Kooiker just hates JD and condemns them whenever he can.

Kooiker
Posted 3/24/2011 20:41 (#1688008 - in reply to #1687294)

If you're comparing the Deere quick tach bucket to a loader that you have to remove pins it is a great improvement.

Compared to any other quick tach bucket design that I've ever seen it is pitiful.

You probably have the piece of pipe between the two sides.   The 740's that I had experience with didn't have the two sides tied together and if for some reason you didn't immediately pick up an attachment after setting the bucket off and the sides got out of sync it was impossible to pick anything up without straightening them by hand. 

Not sure if my complaints had anything to do with it or not but a few months after complaining many times to the dealer and having the dealer put a pipe between the two sides I noticed the new loaders started having the pipe tying both sides together very similiar to what the dealer did.

Also Steve is right, my only goal in life is to rip John Deere every chance I get. **

I seem to forget what my goal is time to time though as I have stated on more than a few occasions that JD makes some pretty fine tractors.

TD15
Posted 3/24/2011 22:18 (#1688326 - in reply to #1688008)

Your right both sides are tied together. I'm not sure about the 740's , but they could of made several production changes along the way to correct it.
Oliver1
Posted 3/24/2011 22:19 (#1688332 - in reply to #1688008)

Alton, Ia
This piece of pipe you are referring to recently added to Deere loaders.... would that do the same thing as the 1" square tubing that ties my two quick attach pieces together on MY 20 YEAR OLD WESTENDORF loader..... Just wondering**
Kooiker
Posted 3/24/2011 22:27 (#1688370 - in reply to #1688332)
Subject: Yes

Did you put that on yourself or was it factory?  

Other than a couple attachments that WD offers that warrant keeping the sides independent I've often wondered why there isn't a piece of metal bolted between the two sides to hold them together.  I guess if it bothered me as much as it seems to bother some I'd probably go ahead and do it myself.

I can't believe you're still using a 20 yr old Wigglesdorf, I thought the only loader that would outlive an oil change was a JD **

Maybe you haven't used it enough to warrant an oil change?

Oliver1
Posted 3/25/2011 08:02 (#1688939 - in reply to #1688370)
Subject: RE: Yes

Alton, Ia
Bought the loader used, so not positive, but it looks factory done. (So I'm also not sure it's 20 yo that's an estimate.) I think it shows in the manual I got for it. WL 42. Not a reweld on it yet. Maybe the reason it's lasted so long is the brand of tractor it's mounted on. :)

Came with an 8' bucket. Promised myself I'd never fill the bucket full when doing heavy stuff, rock, dirt, etc. That lasted long....*********

Edited by Oliver1 3/25/2011 08:06
hillrunner
Posted 3/24/2011 10:56 (#1687015 - in reply to #1686997)

I would get my money back. Lots of good loaders out there.
sodbuster_06
Posted 3/24/2011 11:10 (#1687046 - in reply to #1686997)

Send it back, get the MF loader
GuernseyGuy
Posted 3/24/2011 12:29 (#1687154 - in reply to #1687046)

WCOH
sodbuster_06 - 3/24/2011 11:10

Send it back, get the MF loader

Agree, MF 236 is a good loader. On or off in less than a minute. Ours lasted close to 5000hrs. on a 265, and this was on a dairy farm. Replaced by LS170 but tractor is still around.
Von WC Ohio
Posted 3/24/2011 11:14 (#1687053 - in reply to #1686997)
Subject: RE: Royally Disgusted with Westendorf & Deere Dealer

Hope you get the chance to witness the power of AgTalk on this deal Paul !

Lots of company folks read on here and I can attest to the fact that many issues that are discussed here get noticed and things usually start to happen after they read it. If you get no response or follow up in my opinion it's time to move on to a different brand loader.  No way I'd accept a brand new loader with "make do" shims to get it to fit correctly. I'd demand custom made factory mounts if there is that much issue with it fitting properly. Did they get a bad set that is twisted or welded and drilled wrong or just the plain wrong mounts for the model ?  What tractor is this going on ?

Hopefully you will be hearing from Westendorf folks in 3....2....1

tc806
Posted 3/24/2011 11:36 (#1687086 - in reply to #1687053)

Casey IL. ( I -70 ) then south on rt.49
Paul they are correct about Co. reading articals on here , 2 yrs. ago I had a deal with Ag Leader put it on here and by morning things was happening.
I wonn't point fingers because I don't no but in my case [ will your dealer may need to be question extensively ] if you get my dreft.
Westen dorf wants satified costumers. Call them your self might find out a bout your dealer.
John In Ontario
Posted 3/24/2011 11:38 (#1687091 - in reply to #1686997)

Ripley, Ontario Canada
A 255 Massey should be a common tractor. I would demand my money back and look for a different loader. The industry standard among equipment dealers seems to be an ALO loader, I am sure they have brackets to fit that tractor. If you are really sent on the Westendorf, if you call them and reference the number of posts on here, you may get more action.
OMC260
Posted 3/24/2011 11:59 (#1687125 - in reply to #1686997)

Sioux Center, Iowa

My opinion has shifted a little to the positive direction.  I've had a TA29 for 10 plus years.  Lift cylinders had cracked repeatedly at the base. This loader is on a 2wd 5230. Finally got sick of it a couple months ago and decided to replace the cylinders. Westendorf quoted me over $500 each, after which I said I would find some aftermarket.  They started asking more questions about my problem so I sent them a bunch of pictures of the cylinders.  Long story short, I have new Westendorf cylinders on the loader and am totally pleased with their service on that.  It wasn't even because of any threats or arm twisting on my part, just open direct communication.   And possibly the fact that I emailed them a link to one of the threads on this site concerning their product quality and customer service : )     So score for NAT? 

Haywardmarl
Posted 3/24/2011 16:51 (#1687527 - in reply to #1687125)

Great Idea I will try that with Trimble, but I think they have so many issues they just can't address most of them?
workinonjunk
Posted 3/24/2011 12:38 (#1687165 - in reply to #1686997)

My experience with westondorf is that there customer service is terrible or nonexistent. Bought a new ta46 several years ago. They sent the wrong bucket(needed the higher mounts for front wheel assist). Me and my dealer spent 3 months haggling with them with no results. My dealer finally replaced my bucket for me at his expence. Go find a different loader. That is B.S.
CW IL
Posted 3/24/2011 12:45 (#1687175 - in reply to #1686997)
Subject: RE: Call Westendorf yourself, I bet they will resolve

Effingham, IL
your issues. I bought a new FM550 a year ago and had more issues than I'd like to have had. They seemed to but heads with the dealer, but worked well with me personally. They're # is 877-423-0070. Craig
Trent2520
Posted 3/24/2011 13:01 (#1687201 - in reply to #1686997)

Statesville, NC
Try to get your money back, and go to a MF dealer and buy a MF loader. I have installed a lot of aftermarket loaders, some fit kind of ok, and some don't fit at all, but OEM always fits well. OEM is usually lighter, and stronger too since it is designed for the tractor. Most aftermarket loaders have too much "dead weight" from lack of engineering and just using more steel. On a smaller 2wd tractor you don't want to be carrying a lot of unnecessary weight on the front end.
pbutler
Posted 3/24/2011 13:11 (#1687215 - in reply to #1687201)

Macon, IL
Actually I called them first-told me they don't make anything for tractors that old. I figured they still do but when dealer did that it told me they weren't real interested in business. Other issue is Massey dealer is a long ways away compared to a couple closer...
retento
Posted 3/24/2011 15:37 (#1687438 - in reply to #1687215)

Eastern North Carolina
I would call the Deere dealer and tell them they're time is up.... I'll be down tomorrow to pick up the tractor and (a check) the money I spent on a loader that I ain't going to get... Enough is enough, move on.... Somewhere along the way, someone is lying about what do and don't fits!!!
NAIL WHACKER
Posted 3/24/2011 15:49 (#1687449 - in reply to #1687215)

Staffa, Ontario, Canada
Thats a load of crap . we had a 255 with a massey loader. Push them to fulfill tour needs!!!
Kooiker
Posted 3/24/2011 20:09 (#1687911 - in reply to #1687449)

At one time they probably DID make a loader for a 255.

It is entirely plausible that AGCO-Massey doesn't have a loader available for a 30 yr old tractor that the current organization didn't have anything to do with building.

Besides that point Massey doesn't build their own loaders.

Edited by Kooiker 3/24/2011 20:13
Kooiker
Posted 3/24/2011 13:17 (#1687230 - in reply to #1687201)

Trent2520 - 3/24/2011 12:01 Try to get your money back, and go to a MF dealer and buy a MF loader. I have installed a lot of aftermarket loaders, some fit kind of ok, and some don't fit at all, but OEM always fits well. OEM is usually lighter, and stronger too since it is designed for the tractor.

Except for the loaders that MF sells aren't built by MF or designed specifically for MF tractors.

The only mainline tractor manufacturer that builds its own loaders is Deere.

Haywardmarl
Posted 3/24/2011 17:02 (#1687541 - in reply to #1687230)

Sadly I was laughing very hard while watching your Video. I would like to see you convince any Liberal that this video makes many valid arguments.
gene_champ
Posted 3/24/2011 13:03 (#1687208 - in reply to #1686997)

NC Iowa
something ilearned the hard way is 35 years of farming. don't pay until delivered or installed and you are sastisfied all is ok.
still can get burned, but if you pay in advance your options are more limited.

good luck. too bad many things turn out to be a hassel, that really shouldn't..
Posted 3/24/2011 13:48 (#1687285 - in reply to #1686997)

west central Iowa
At first I was going to say give them one week to get it right to your satisfaction or try to get your money back, but after thinking about it I wonder why keep something that has been this much trouble, before you even use it. I was probably one of the ones that advised you against it and after talking to another guy that used to work there I would even more strongly advise against buying one. He said a few years ago when he worked there they switched to a cheaper supplier of cylinder rams and have had trouble ever since. When I bought my 5240 I didn't even consider a westendorf I bought a case ih loader. And there has been a westendorf loader on this place for more than forty years as we only live 20 miles from the factory.
clicker
Posted 3/24/2011 14:02 (#1687300 - in reply to #1686997)

Southern IA
I bought a koyker and their standard mounts didn't fit my tractor and they custom made me mounts and shipped them to me, no cost. It is a bullet proof loader at a much lower cost the the Westendorfs were.
jd6620
Posted 3/24/2011 14:18 (#1687322 - in reply to #1686997)
Subject: See if they will sell you the loader only

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=5256591...
clicker
Posted 3/24/2011 15:33 (#1687432 - in reply to #1687322)
Subject: RE: See if they will sell you the loader only

Southern IA
Actually that whole setup probably isn't a whole lot more than a brand new Westendorf loader with joystick, and you'd have a parts tractor to boot.
pbutler
Posted 3/24/2011 15:44 (#1687443 - in reply to #1687432)
Subject: RE: See if they will sell you the loader only

Macon, IL
I thought about that but I wanted the joystick and quick on and off.

I used that tractor as an example when I was talking to that dealer about a new Massey Loader-that is when he told me they didn't make a new Massey loader to fit it. :(

In hindsight I should have just bought that setup.
pilottim
Posted 3/24/2011 14:20 (#1687325 - in reply to #1686997)

Eleva, WI
Good luck dealing with Westendorf. We bought a FM570 loader. Thought it should be a good loader. Stupid thing cycles so slow and you can't even get the lift cylinders to lift tractor front end off ground. Westendorf claimed it was tractor. Wouldn't come look at it. Finally a few months later when they were at farm show in the area they eventually stopped to see how loader worked. They said that's how it works, nothing wrong with it. Needless to say we weren't impressed. We are now buying an older massey loader (built by soo I think) to replace it. Also when first got loader back from dealer it was crooked on tractor by several inches at the bucket. Ended up finally sending out new mounting brackets after much picture sending and discussion. I know our dealer got burned on another Westendorf loader just before we bought ours, and now they will be getting this one back too. Don't think they'll be too likely to sell any more of them. I sure would never buy anything from Westendorf again.
Cliff SEIA
Posted 3/24/2011 14:52 (#1687372 - in reply to #1687325)

I assume the FM series is the freedom mount and if so I just talked to a neighbor this morning who has one and they are ready to make Westendorf take it back so they can get something different.  They have gone through 4 lift cylinders, the mounting brackets have been welded on and now the main mount is cracked.  He said you can watch the loader sway back and forth on the mounts and Westendorf told him it was designed that way. 

dewgubbe
Posted 3/24/2011 14:25 (#1687334 - in reply to #1686997)

Northeast Nebraska
I'm 23, and in my short time here on Earth, I've learned to never pay ANYONE the full amount up front. Always hold some money back until the job is completed, AND COMPLETED THE WAY YOU WANT IT TO BE COMPLETED. If you give them all the money, and then find out they cobbled something up at the end to get it out the door then you're screwed. You need to hold a couple thousand ransom until they fix it right.
Haywardmarl
Posted 3/24/2011 18:59 (#1687749 - in reply to #1687334)

dewgubbe - 3/24/2011 14:25

I'm 23, and in my short time here on Earth, I've learned to never pay ANYONE the full amount up front. Always hold some money back until the job is completed, AND COMPLETED THE WAY YOU WANT IT TO BE COMPLETED. If you give them all the money, and then find out they cobbled something up at the end to get it out the door then you're screwed. You need to hold a couple thousand ransom until they fix it right.

Aunt that the Truth !!!
Tommy
Posted 3/24/2011 15:56 (#1687458 - in reply to #1686997)
Subject: RE: Nice guys finish last

Iowa
Nice guys always finish last...By that I mean NEVER NEVER EVER pay up-front in-full for a piece of equipment. Now you know why....

I wouldn't give a darn how much "trouble" the Deere dealer is having with a short-line company he sells for-- he should have brought your tractor right back or loaned you a loader tractor after about ten days or so while he worked this all out.

I absolutely wouldn't accept it shimmed/cobbled up. Assuming your Deere dealer is honorable, your tractor and your check need to be sitting in your yard ASAP. If your dealer is NOT honorable, then the lesson of paying up front will be even more costly, and that's unfair for sure but is a likely outcome.

You may have learned another lesson--buying brand-new is not without it's problems, either. I learned a long time ago that machinery is a necessary evil of my occupation, and brand-new is seldom the best choice financially.

Look at it this way--you won't have that rattley, noisy, shakey, loose loader that irks you every time you use it--now you can buy a better brand!
starvation
Posted 3/24/2011 16:09 (#1687477 - in reply to #1687458)

mn
I feel great or lucky knowing my dad and I got the only loaders westendorf never screwed up on, over the years wl30, wl40, two wl42's and now two wl45's all great with no problem, ok one time the wl40 broke one time when moving some cement, but the way my dad yelled at me I think it mite a have been my fault. :) I bought a wl64 once and hated in cause it was self leveling, but the loader was built good. like others have said call westendorf youself, maybe you need a new dealer? good luck to ya. but I would take a westendorf over any other, but we have a good dealer next door maybe thats why we have good luck.
Posted 3/25/2011 00:04 (#1688662 - in reply to #1687477)

west central Iowa
starvation - 3/24/2011 16:09

I feel great or lucky knowing my dad and I got the only loaders westendorf never screwed up on, over the years wl30, wl40, two wl42's and now two wl45's all great with no problem, ok one time the wl40 broke one time when moving some cement, but the way my dad yelled at me I think it mite a have been my fault. :) I bought a wl64 once and hated in cause it was self leveling, but the loader was built good. like others have said call westendorf youself, maybe you need a new dealer? good luck to ya. but I would take a westendorf over any other, but we have a good dealer next door maybe thats why we have good luck.

Friends of mine bought a brand new non self leveling 64 a few years ago and the first time they rolled the bucket back it twisted the heck out of it. Turns out the bucket cylinder anchors ahd been welded on wrong. Westendorf fixed the loader, but wouldn't give them a new bucket, just a used one.
argyllholst
Posted 3/24/2011 16:24 (#1687496 - in reply to #1686997)

SW Ontario
About 10 years ago we bought a new Hardy loader for our old MF 165. We live in SW ontario and they trucked it to the factory in Quebec to custom fit it as they didn't make an off the shelf loader for it. The cost was very reasonable. We now have an 8540 Kubota with and ALO loader on it and we are happy with it.
Jim
Posted 3/24/2011 17:06 (#1687547 - in reply to #1687496)
Subject: ALO/Quicke

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I second the ALO/Quicke comment. Very happy with mine in every way.

The loader business must be a tough one. There are an almost infinte number of tractors and variations for you to fit and there must be a new one about every day.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 3/24/2011 17:10
bluedriver
Posted 3/24/2011 18:00 (#1687625 - in reply to #1687547)

sounds like you need a new dealer or they need some better mechanics who can find a different way to mount the loader the right way
7720gas
Posted 3/24/2011 18:00 (#1687627 - in reply to #1687547)

Miller Loaders??? I think they are a fine product................
smokesgasman
Posted 3/24/2011 18:19 (#1687677 - in reply to #1687547)
Subject: RE: ALO/Quicke

so.wisconsin

Paul, I would really re think getting a loader on your tractor if it is gonna be run of the tractor hydraulics,I think you will be very disappointed the only Massey tractors I have been around have had front engine driven pumps, we have had 2 a mf 65 and a mf 175 the 175 will pick up a pallet of seed corn and only the front tires seem to be the limiting factor the tractor will pick up enough to just about flatten them. Having the front mount pump will limit you on a quick attach thou,I think thoes little utility Massey's are great tractors but the hydraulics are suspect at best ! If it were me I would get money back and look for a dedicated loader tractor,with the wheels set out a little wider for stability

smoke

Plow79
Posted 3/24/2011 19:53 (#1687867 - in reply to #1686997)

Chilliwack BC
Is it possible that you have a European version that even though its the same model number might have some subltle differences? Massey has done that in the past where the same model is built on two different continents and you don't notice a difference until something finicky like this comes up.

We have a Massey 165 that the transmission went out on years ago and we got a replacement from a wrecker that apparently was a European version and now we have a 165 with a road gear of 13 mph. I've seen other Massey models where stuff like this pops up too.
ks8780
Posted 3/24/2011 22:00 (#1688264 - in reply to #1686997)

Jewell County KS
I have a TA46 "Wiggledorf" on a 3650 Massey that has got to be the sorriest loader I've been around. Loose, wobbly,easily twisted. The list goes on. It is now a backup loader tractor that has not had the loader on for 3 years or so. Dad bought it in '89 or so with the tractor and has wished ever since that he would have got the 856 Massey loader instead. Got a 1080 Massey loader on a tractor in '03 that is 10 times the loader as the wiggledorf. No more Westendorf around here.
Westendorf
Posted 8/4/2011 11:44 (#1895140 - in reply to #1686997)

This issue has been resolved....

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=229107&posts=1...
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)