AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another Factory - John Deere Des Moines Works
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Robert W Greif
Posted 1/25/2011 07:36 (#1571229)
Subject: Another Factory - John Deere Des Moines Works

Dallas Center IA 515-720-2463
The John Deere Des Moines Works is located north of Des Moines in Ankeny, Iowa.

This plant was a World War II ordnance plant that John Deere purchased after the war. The main entrance is on Ordnance Road.
To the south and southeast is a Iowa State U research farm. Some of this farm may have been sold off, the house builders sure would like to have it.

What is built here? I really don't know. When I was quite young cotton pickers were built at this factory. Remember that because it seemed funny to me that they were not built down south.
I also remember that corn pickers were made here.

Sometime in the 1980s I went to an open house at the factory, the only time I have ever been there. Of the made at the Des Moines Works products on display, the only thing I remember was a folding box drill, fore runner of the model 455.

In the first picture the green arrow points to the Des Moines Works.
For anyone that would like to know where I live - Five miles west of the town name 'Grimes' on the left part of the picture.

The second picture is a closeup.

Last picture is a street view at the main entrance on the east side. Note the John Deere sign on the right.

(DMWorks-1.jpg)

(DMWorks-2.jpg)

(DMWorks-3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DMWorks-1.jpg (60KB - 192 downloads)
Attachments DMWorks-2.jpg (55KB - 229 downloads)
Attachments DMWorks-3.jpg (40KB - 184 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
loran
Posted 1/25/2011 07:55 (#1571254 - in reply to #1571229)
Subject: Re: Another Factory - John Deere Des Moines Works

West Union, IOWA FLOLO Farm 52175
Bobby, they still make the Cotton equipment, as well as Sprayers and some Rippers I believe....

Did Deere buy it after the war? or was it just conversted during the war?

Of all the plants I've toured...that is one of the best. They're pretty proud of the one CNC that makes the spindle picker and is part of the reason cotton equipment is made in Iowa, something about the patent? and production right dictate it?
IH1978
Posted 1/25/2011 13:08 (#1571850 - in reply to #1571254)

WC Iowa
Sometime in the 1930's the federal goverment built the factory to manufacture ammunition. Then in 1947 John Deere purchase the plant to build cotton pickers. Then the rest of the ground was either purchased or given to Iowa State for there research Farm. If I remember right that was 1200 to 1400 acres. Iowa State then sold the ground off about 3 years ago to developers. All of the old buildings, bunkers, and bunk houses were removed at this time. Not sure what the goverment did or used the ground for back then but it was like a little city within a city. I was able to go through alot of the old buildings before the were destoyed it was very interesting to say the least. Im sure their is alot more people out there that know more than I but this is what I remember or what has been told to me.
FarmFello1982
Posted 1/25/2011 07:56 (#1571257 - in reply to #1571229)
Subject: RE: Another Factory - John Deere Des Moines Works

Toured about 1/2 this plant in 2003 or 04 when they were first introducing the 4920 Sprayer.... was a very nice Tour and I know they were building those there at the time but not sure what else they were building....
ss@WC Iowa
Posted 1/25/2011 08:44 (#1571339 - in reply to #1571229)

Coon Rapids,Iowa
Hey Bobby,

Do you live along Hwy 44. I sometimes go that way going home from DM. I live close to 141 east of Coon Rapids.

Steve
himie/26
Posted 1/25/2011 09:08 (#1571394 - in reply to #1571339)

i think the no-till drills are made their has well
Beefmn
Posted 1/25/2011 10:08 (#1571502 - in reply to #1571229)

Blue Earth, MN
We haul equipment out of there often. Des Moines Works builds, sprayers, cotton pickers, tillage and drills.
Cardinal_Farms
Posted 1/25/2011 10:26 (#1571550 - in reply to #1571229)

Central Iowa
I can remember attending an open house there in 1986. It was very enjoyable. They were making cotton pickers and various other tillage tools, including the 885 ridge till cultivator which had just been introduced.
jd-tom
Posted 1/25/2011 14:19 (#1571976 - in reply to #1571550)

SW Minnesota
It would have been interesting to tour this plant in the 1950's & 1960's to see how one builds a mounted corn picker on an assembly line!
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)