AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best roll tarp
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Big Stretch
Posted 1/15/2010 23:24 (#1024720)
Subject: Best roll tarp

SE Neb
What is your favorite roll tarp for grain trailers? I'm buying a new trailer and want to make it as easy as I can for my driver to be able to roll the tarp no matter the conditons. I see a lot of Surlock tarps are they cheaper or better or both? I know a guy up the road that just hates anything but a SRT 2 tarp, in fact is he refers to Surlock as Sure Fly Tarps. I see a lot of guy's at the elevator fight tarps of all brands except the SRT 2 tarps in the wind and when I questioned a Jet trailer salesman about the difference he said that there was a 150.00 option that would totally cure that and make them work like the SRT 2 tarps. Is he just being a salesman or is that all it takes to make them sail proof? I had another salesman tell me that they rareley sell anything but Surlock because of Agri Covers service not being very good, is there any truth to that? Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
nlt
Posted 1/15/2010 23:39 (#1024733 - in reply to #1024720)
Subject: Re: Best roll tarp

west central minesota
I was talked out of a Surlock the last time i purchased a roll-tarp in favor of a SRT. The only thing to remember is you cannot fudge your tarp over an overloaded peak of grain. The tarp will just go right through the pile, not over. Then while driving down the road you get to watch your grain sprinkle on to the road bed. I would buy another one though...
mennoboy
Posted 1/15/2010 23:42 (#1024736 - in reply to #1024720)

Rivers, MB
I'm not a Shurlock fan. Are the SRT 2 the tarps that have a thick cable that wraps around the end of the tarp in a groove that keeps the cable from wrapping on itself? Does that make sense. We have one like that and I dislike it alot more than the Shurlock. We have one of each on our two grain trucks with a box and hoist. I suspect the SRT would be better on a trailer where it doesn't get tipped back. We find that the cable has to be set just right for the tarp to roll over without binding.
My preferred tarp is the Michel's tarps. Made in Saskatchewan, Canada. www.michels.ca

edit: I just googled the SRT tarps. They are the one I was thinking about but they look like the latest model is a much improved version from what I have.

Edited by mennoboy 1/15/2010 23:46
gbfarmer
Posted 1/16/2010 07:24 (#1024898 - in reply to #1024720)
Subject: RE: Best roll tarp

SE MN
I have some of both and each have their good and bad points. With being said I do prefer the Shulock. I have 2 SRT's and I seem to have a lot of trouble with the cables and getting them to roll open. The SRT on our grain cart has to have the end caps where the cable rolls on taken off, cleaned and greased a number of times during the fall or else it will only open about 3/4 of the way. The SRT on our truck needs to have the cables adjusted quite often or the cable does not roll up right on the spool. Yes, the Shurlock can get caught by the wind, but it will probably only happen once and then you will unroll it into the wind from then on. I did put an electric roll tarp on out two Shulocks and that really helps in the wind because there are springs on the arms that help close it and keep it down on the trailer. If you need any parts for the Shurlock you can order them off of their website and have them very quick. When I have need parts for my SRT I have a hard time getting them to answer the phone. Maybe that has gotten better now, but it was a problem a couple years ago.
shepard
Posted 1/16/2010 10:14 (#1025097 - in reply to #1024898)

North Central Ohio
i agree,i'll take a shurlock over a srt anyday,the srt wont roll over a pile,ok maybe on truck,but sux on grain cart.mine isn't even long enough if you do get it overthe pile.
JD 4430
Posted 1/16/2010 11:12 (#1025192 - in reply to #1024720)

To answer the question of I want it easy for my driver, there is a very simple answer. Make sure you put an electric roll tarp on it. This makes it easy and helps with the wind.
As for which tarp, I would prefer the surlock, we have had several surlocks, two srt and one agricover. The surlocks do catch the wind more, but you can prepare for that(wind direction). If you need parts they are very easy to get. the srt and agricover are better in the wind but do have down falls. If you pile up the grain to high it has to role through it and then blows off. That is best case, the bad thing is when you roll through the grain let it sit overnight, get dew on it and the grain sticks (even just a little). With that system it will not role up because it makes a bigger role. The other problem we have had with them, the agricover more so, is when it is rolled up all the way, it seems to work back towards the center a little. It only moves back 6 to 12 inches, but it kind of bothers me. Hope this helps
Big Stretch
Posted 1/16/2010 11:58 (#1025257 - in reply to #1024720)

SE Neb
To answer the question of I want it easy for my driver, there is a very simple answer. Make sure you put an electric roll tarp on it.

Ok now if I am going to step up here is the tough part, I see they have 2 different versoins looks like an economy version and a 3500 version. Will the cheaper version work or is it a waste of time and if I am going to spend a chunk on an extra item might as well spend the extra and just get the 3500 to start with? What kind of price should I expect for each version? Thanks
farminguy
Posted 1/16/2010 17:03 (#1025581 - in reply to #1025257)

Gibson City, IL
I would suggest the 3500 series. I works great. Cost is about $1500 uninstalled. Installation is not hard at all.
gbfarmer
Posted 1/16/2010 18:32 (#1025697 - in reply to #1025257)

SE MN
I agree with previous poster about the 3500. Have two of them. Got one a couple years ago for my Dad and since then have put one on the other trailer. Two of us installed the second one in about 3 hours.
Dirtfarmer Jake
Posted 1/16/2010 18:37 (#1025701 - in reply to #1024720)
Subject: RE: Best roll tarp is Michel's

Drumheller, Alberta
All the truckers use Michel's select tarps up here. Had a Surelock and hated that thing. All three of our trailer's are now Michel's. the last trailer had a Surelock so we just bought the kit to change it up to the Michel's style. Opens and closes level front to back and your not fighting that stupid bungee cord and spring setup which is usually breaks and then you might have to go to the front and flip the tarp over the pile. The Michel's rolls lighter than the Surelock as well.
premium ag
Posted 1/16/2010 21:53 (#1025970 - in reply to #1025701)

MB
michels is all we use here. they're great!
Agricover
Posted 3/10/2010 11:04 (#1113688 - in reply to #1024720)

North Dakota
Agri-Cover now offers the AutoLock Electric Tarp that rolls OVER grain and works great in the wind. We have a video at www.autolocktarp.com that shows it in action. The quality compared to others is superior. Check out our website or give us a call at 800-233-4655 for a free quote.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)