AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

thinking of a grain bin setup any imputs?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

osu_fan
Posted 12/9/2009 19:41 (#957932)
Subject: thinking of a grain bin setup any imputs?

we farm about 1,000 acres and we currently do not have any on farm storage grain storage. We have never really been around bins and would like some imput on what everyone likes and does not like. planning on building everything new and setting up ourselves and might use FSA Loans idk yet. I am going to graduate from college in a year so we want something that is going to last. but is nice and easy to work with. thinking about 2 bins one for corn and one for soybeans we don't want a leg, thinking about continous flow dryer with air system or going with a Shivvers system been reading a lot on Shivvers looks like a good system. Thanks for the comments!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
CaseFarmer
Posted 12/9/2009 19:49 (#957957 - in reply to #957932)
Subject: Re: thinking of a grain bin setup any imputs?

Flora IL
You want a continuous flow dryer with the other system you waist bin space and just don't dry what you can in a continuous flow dryer..... my grandpa has a shivvers and likes it
swmn8560
Posted 12/9/2009 19:56 (#957975 - in reply to #957932)

MN
couldnt give me a shivvers... grandfather and uncle have them... spend the $ and get cont. flow dryer.. dryers are for drying and bins are for storing... plain and simple... not sure about the air system.. most around these parts have gotten away from them due to noise and high power requirements... personally after 1st season with grain leg, wouldnt consider anything but in a new set up.. sure costs like hell, but will last 30 + years unlike most other handling equipment(blower)... simple tip for you... good stuff isnt always cheap and cheap stuff isnt always good...
Smoothlander
Posted 12/9/2009 19:57 (#957980 - in reply to #957932)

If you are starting new I think that one of these is a must:

http://www.hutchinson-mayrath.com/hutch-grainpump.html

I wish that I had known about them when we built our new site 12 years ago.
pigfarmerj
Posted 12/9/2009 19:59 (#957984 - in reply to #957932)

nw illinois
More to it than that. Acres owned vs. rented. Rotation now vs. future. Road weight limits. Single phase vs. 3 phase. Improving yields. Premium grain opportunities. etc. etc. etc. Plan for the future if you have nothing to add to now.
Ed Winkle
Posted 12/9/2009 20:26 (#958039 - in reply to #957932)

Martinsville, Ohio
Start with at least a 30,000 bu bin first with augers and fans. Plan out location and wiring and access to it.

Dick Probasco is our man at D&E Equipment in Wilmington or Jan Griffith down the road reads this page.

Want to come and see what little I have learned, you are welcome.

In other words get some really good advice and weigh all options before applying for the loan, then show them what you want.

Ed
sri
Posted 12/9/2009 20:34 (#958049 - in reply to #957932)
Subject: RE: thinking of a grain bin setup any imputs?

nw pa

Visit every farm that has a bin set-up. Too much stuff to deal with here in a paragraph or two. Each tidbit you pick up will help you. get all the estimates and design help that is out there. Pick the best ideas for the future.

The only thing I would add, nothing is getting smaller so allow enough room,plenty of electric power,good roads,good access,good location.

good luck

D6Joe
Posted 12/9/2009 20:45 (#958065 - in reply to #958049)

east central ND
visit all the bin sites you can, bring a notebook and a camera, record what you like and dislike, and what the owner likes and dislikes.
David in MD
Posted 12/9/2009 20:48 (#958071 - in reply to #957932)

I like my nearly 40 year old Shivvers system. With a few upgrades and some replacement parts it's still going strong. I dry my corn in the Shivvers bin and transfer the corn out to other bins with roof top augers. I then store my beans in the Shivvers bin, no wasted space. If I had to do it all over again I'd put all the bins in line and use a chain conveyor. I'm also on single phase which limits me to 10-15 hp motors. Either get 3 phase or a phase convertor so you can use larger and cheaper motors.
CaseFarmer
Posted 12/9/2009 21:08 (#958117 - in reply to #958071)

Flora IL
Just to warn u once u put up a leg and say a 50'000 bushel bin and then overhead u will want more bins lol

We started with that and now getting close to holding 400'000. So pick an area with a ton of expansion
Cross Country
Posted 12/9/2009 21:12 (#958127 - in reply to #958117)

Ottawa, Ontario

Figure out where you would like to put the system and then move it back 100 feet. The more room the better. I built last year and left lots of space. I already have a plan to put in a bin in some of the extra space and add a leg. I put in one 48,000 bu bin, but after this year with poor grades, I think another bin would be nice to allow some segregation.

(IMG_0031.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0031.jpg (47KB - 426 downloads)
cr39
Posted 12/9/2009 21:46 (#958218 - in reply to #958127)

Can you get semi's with big trailers into the site easily? Enough room to turn around? Good roads/ ditches/ driveway tubes leading to the bin site? Level site with good drainage? I would put the bins in a row like said, probably parallel to the road.

What type of electricity is available and what would you have to do to get what you want set up?

What augers do you have already? The bigger the better to keep up with the combine. I would say get an 8" or larger with swing away hopper. Make sure the auger works well with your grain trailer, e.g. enough hopper clearance, easy to move, etc.

I farm about the same with my brother and we went the cheap way and bought 6 old 3500 bu bins from a neighbor for CHEAP. You could spend big bucks fast on a system, so If I were you, I would prepare a good, permanent bin site and put gravel all around it and pack it down. I would probably go with one 10000 + bu bin. Add more bins as you go. You say you want one for beans/ one for corn. I would just store corn if I were you, because the main thing I like about bins is it removes the bottleneck of waiting at the elevator. The semi can easily keep pace with the combine in beans, so we haven't stored beans yet.

ugo
Posted 12/9/2009 21:19 (#958149 - in reply to #958071)

Illinois
If possible I would try to plan to keep your bins in a row, I say this as this is the way we started 35 years ago and turns out to be a good plan on Dad's part as we went with a hutch grain pump this year instead of a leg, no guide wires and cheaper than a leg, 10" will unload a 1000 bu. of 25 percent corn in 12 to 15 minutes , hope this helps. any questions call, thanks Joe 815-481-1411
jeffshelby
Posted 12/9/2009 21:17 (#958145 - in reply to #957932)

Ohio
How do you like the air system Cross?
Cross Country
Posted 12/9/2009 21:25 (#958168 - in reply to #958145)

Ottawa, Ontario
jeffshelby - 12/9/2009 21:17

How do you like the air system Cross?

I like the air system. Cheaper than a leg, if you're just getting started, and virtually maintenance free.

I'm not sure if it was the gentlest way to move corn this year, there are a lot of cracked and split kernals, but the sample wasn't that great coming out of the cleaner, so to say it was the air system would be unfair.

Plus I can add bins to the system without changing a thing.
lancef53
Posted 12/9/2009 21:35 (#958188 - in reply to #957932)

Portland, ND
Midwest planning services has a handbook about storage, I think it costs about $15. It has some good info.
Lizton farmer
Posted 12/9/2009 21:48 (#958224 - in reply to #957932)

lizton IN
With all of the piles of corn on the ground a barn with an unloading auger in it isn't a bad idea. You could get your grain storage an a place to park equipment.
yam
Posted 12/9/2009 21:51 (#958229 - in reply to #957932)

MN
If you go with a continous flow dryer make sure you get a big enough wet holding bin- Iv'e seen companies recommending that it will hold two days worth of picking- my brother built a new system and in dryer corn it runs out of corn about 3 in the morning.
TAG66
Posted 12/9/2009 22:05 (#958251 - in reply to #957932)

SW Indiana
Best advice i can give, find a good bin dealer who is focused on system design, don't look for the guy who says what you want, and don't be afraid to pay him well. He is your best asset and will cost less over time. We were exactly like you in 1999. We had 2-10k bins no floors. Our guy took time to learn our operation, show us our options, took our imput and came back with his ideas. We were able to get 3 phase. Put everything into an electrical building, which is the center of the entire grain system. Put 10" powersweeps in 27' bins. Put in Superb heat cool dryer with quantum and a hopper bin. Receiving is a 10" electric auger. Dry grain is an air system. Very simple set up. His goal was to get the base setup for 30 years expansion with blending a premium. What we did was pick and dry corn for 3 days, haul for a day and do it over again. Long story short, system is still working as designed. We are now 2400 acres, 2 semi's, larger combine w/ 8row head. We have gone from 20k storage to 130k, added a dump pit for the hopper bottoms. Added an axel scales couple of years ago. We plan to add grain leg and double storage over time. We have changed nothing from his design, not even moved an unload. His risk/reward recommendations were right on the money.
rowcropper
Posted 12/9/2009 22:31 (#958337 - in reply to #958251)

SC
Grain bins are like shops. I've never heard someone say they wish they had built a smaller one.
limi
Posted 12/9/2009 22:50 (#958382 - in reply to #957932)
Subject: don't rule out a leg...

IN
they are awesome.
mmaddox
Posted 12/10/2009 02:55 (#958613 - in reply to #958382)

You need to find one or more persons with knowledge and experience to help educate you, and assist in the planning. Your land grant college should be a place to start. Be sure to long long term and leave as many options open as possible. Be forewarned that there will be lots of people looking after this Fall, ie. supplies will be tight and prices high. You might consider checking with GSI and Brock, as they are tow of the largest suppliers, and can provide pretty much all the equipment. Not to say that you should use either one, but can look at more choices that
WTW
Posted 12/10/2009 11:01 (#958980 - in reply to #957932)

Winkler, Manitoba Canada
Locate your bin site where three phase power and natural gas are available if possible. Good access for trucks on a solid base so major driveway construction costs are minimized should also be considerations.
jgriffith11
Posted 12/16/2009 10:10 (#969456 - in reply to #957932)

FARMERS STATION, OHIO 45146
It sounds like you have a lot of information to digest.. but always allow for unlimited growth.. you may be farming 1000 now but in 10 you may be doing 10 times the acres..
Me personally i like the results of a continious dryer, its a product that can be traded in for a larger one as your acreage grows,, less maintence. BUT YOU GOT TO GO WITH WHAT YOU THINK WORKS FOR YOU.. NOT WHAT SOME SALESMAN WANTS YOU TO BUY.
i'm sure there is some goverment money help out there to be had.. i know there is a grant for upgrading your usage of energy using systems..
good luck with your research..

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)