AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

US Made (Fafnir) Bearings vs. China Bearings
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jstroh
Posted 5/6/2009 19:54 (#705168)
Subject: US Made (Fafnir) Bearings vs. China Bearings

SCNE
Went to my local CIH dealer today to get some replacement bearings for the opener disks on my 900 Cyclo planter. To my dismay, all they had were Made in China. I am replacing China bearings on openers that are a little over a year old that came from Shoup and I really don't want to go down the "a little over a year replacement" road again. Anyone know where you can still get the Fafnir version that fits CIH opener disks? I have even had good luck with bearings made in Japan, but for some reason the China bearings are pure junk. It doesn't matter where you use them, they wear out or fly apart in 1/3 the time of a US or Japan bearing.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Garrett Pommeranz
Posted 5/6/2009 19:59 (#705171 - in reply to #705168)
Subject: RE: US Made (Fafnir) Bearings vs. China Bearings

Southern MN and Central IA
Not sure on prices, but you could try Motion Industries in Lincoln. They have a good selection of bearings. Inland Truck used to be on Hwy 77 but they are no longer at the location and I'm not sure if they closed or moved to another one. That would be another one. I don't know if there is a Motion location in GI or Kearney.
NCfarmer
Posted 5/6/2009 21:09 (#705271 - in reply to #705168)
Subject: Re: US Made (Fafnir) Bearings vs. China Bearings

Aurora, NC
Applied Materials, Inc. is where we get ours
iseedit
Posted 5/6/2009 21:27 (#705311 - in reply to #705168)
Subject: RE: US Made (Fafnir) Bearings vs. China Bearings

central - east central Minnesota -

Order them from your local bearing house or go online and you can get what ever you need. 

I just redid all my closing wheels on my 750 drill and needed 48 6203 bearing and seals - bearings were NTN's made in Canada and seals were CR's (same as JD) (made by SKF) for 1/3 the cost of what JD wanted. JD's bearings were china bearings also.

http://www.ickler.com/  These guys had the best price.

SKF are some of the best - http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home

NTN are right up there with SKF's - NTN is Japan http://www.ntnamerica.com/products.htm

http://www.applied.com/

Edited by iseedit 5/6/2009 21:59
frmrzdotr
Posted 5/6/2009 22:06 (#705384 - in reply to #705311)

Peer Bearing is a China source that has proven itself right in there with Timken, and beat Fafnir every time in the 3rd party tests I've seen [thanks to some engineer friends], both dustbox and sludge/mortar box tests. They are not as inexpensive as other China sources, but they make an excellent product. They sell direct to OE's and were the sole supplier to Woods/Alloway for a number of years, perhaps they still are. Woods/Alloway chose them because of cost and reliability in the horrible abusive batwing mower and stalk chopper environment.
Not sure where your best retail source will be, but a free phone call will take care of that question...
CUST. SERVICE 877-600-7337 in waukegan illinois
iseedit
Posted 5/6/2009 23:48 (#705639 - in reply to #705384)
Subject: Re: Problem with China Bearings -

central - east central Minnesota -
In my opinion and experence with the china peer bearings from JD - the quality is inconsistant . . .  1 season on a set of bearings and the seals were gone . . . maybe they have or had a quality control problem - but no more for me, too much hassel to have me trial and error their inconsistant quality control . . .

Edited by iseedit 5/7/2009 00:15
sodbuster_06
Posted 5/6/2009 23:52 (#705647 - in reply to #705384)

Can't get a better source than them there Woods/Alloway engineers, them guys are (used to be) geniuses. Besides Peer bearings were selected because they hid the grease fittings better than the others.

Edited by sodbuster_06 5/6/2009 23:54
jstroh
Posted 5/7/2009 08:20 (#705858 - in reply to #705384)

SCNE
I won't believe any bearing test until I'm right there with the engineers, pulling the same bearings off of the shelf that I would get if I were buying them, for use in the test. In other words, Peer probably sends them some a "special group" of bearings for the test. I've done my own test over the last 15 years of farming and have come to one conclusion. China = Junk!!
dave morgan
Posted 5/6/2009 22:06 (#705385 - in reply to #705311)
Subject: RE: Kind of like bolts, you aren't going to believe this but

Somerville, Indiana
Caterpillar dealer sells bearings made in US of A. Price has been lower than Motion Industries. They need a number and longest wait will be 0630 hours the next day. Bolts are the same deal, can't beat their quality and price=here.

I truly believe dealers have went to cheaper parts as so many people shop for price only. What else could we expect them to do? They have to make money or they won't be there for us next year.

dm
Gerald J.
Posted 5/6/2009 22:14 (#705407 - in reply to #705168)

Maybe Baum hydraulics or McMaster-Carr, though McM prefers to hide their vendors so they can change vendors faster than catalogs.

Gerald J.
DrZhivago
Posted 5/6/2009 23:05 (#705534 - in reply to #705168)

Sounds like you are a little irritated with your asian bearings, you probably agree that Truman should have let MacArthur bomb those rice eaters back to the stone ages during the Korean war. Just kidding.
jstroh
Posted 5/7/2009 08:15 (#705853 - in reply to #705534)

SCNE
Always got to throw a history lesson at us, don't you Dr. ! LOL
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)