AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Exiss stock trailers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Red Cows
Posted 12/20/2017 06:37 (#6441388)
Subject: Exiss stock trailers?

SE SD
Looking at a used exiss 24 ft locally. Are they built cheap or are they Ok? New ones are always cheaper than the sooner's but don't see any big difference in the two. This one is only a few years old. Currently have a 20 ft keifer aluminum 1990 model that has been good except the fiberglass roof coming loose in front. Do they hold up or should avoid? Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
sdnotill1983
Posted 12/20/2017 07:29 (#6441495 - in reply to #6441388)
Subject: RE: Exiss stock trailers?

SE SD
Don't have experience with stock trailers but Exiss horse trailers are junk. The older ones are good, but the new ones are light, and don't seem to hold up going up and down the road.
farmdude
Posted 12/20/2017 09:06 (#6441733 - in reply to #6441495)

Side by side Wilson trailers are better over all but more pricier. Hauled a wild bull in mine several years ago an thought he was going to destroy my trailer. With no center doors shut. Unloaded him an my trailer was just fine. I thought there would be some kind off damage. Even my back door was fine. Havent hauled with an Exiss but they look alright. Im no expert on trailers but hey if its cheap enough. Good Luck
hay-okie
Posted 12/20/2017 09:17 (#6441756 - in reply to #6441388)

This is just my personal preference, but I really prefer steel over aluminum for a stock trailer. Featherlite is another brand that is all the rage right now brings tons of money. But I don't want a light trailer - I want something that is heavy and would survive going through a brick wall. My trailer is a Travalong and that thing has withstood the test of time very well. Yeah they take new paint about every 20 years, but that is cheap in the grand scheme of things.
Supa Dexta
Posted 12/20/2017 09:19 (#6441763 - in reply to #6441388)

NS Canada
Exiss are well liked around here,

wilson, exiss, sooner, eby would be the main ones around locally.
retento
Posted 12/20/2017 10:06 (#6441881 - in reply to #6441763)

Eastern North Carolina
Wilson Foreman or EBY RUFF NECK punch hole aluminum trailers. No Exiss, or Featherlite, it's called "featherlite" for a reason......

http://www.wilsontrailer.com/gooseneck-livestock-trailers/foreman/

http://www.mheby.com/punch-panel-livestock-trailers/

Blackbaldie
Posted 12/20/2017 11:33 (#6442019 - in reply to #6441881)

West Central Indiana
+1
Merritt also makes a punch side.

Someone said on here once only buy from a co. that makes cattle pots. That would be Wilson, Eby, and Merritt. No experience with Merritt but Wilson and Eby take lots of abuse and really hold their value.
L down bar
Posted 12/20/2017 11:34 (#6442020 - in reply to #6441388)

Spring Ranch, NE
I see a few around my area. I looked at one pretty seriously 3 years ago. As I recall the only difference between them and a sooner was maybe the floor and the cost, but I really don't recall, they come out of the same factory I think. I understood the two were half sisters and the exiss was the cheaper version.
The dealer in Grand Island left town about as fast as he came in. He just showed up one day with 6 or 8 trailers on the lot, and two or maybe 3 years later they were all at once gone. Never did see any local advertising.

With that said I thought they looked like an ok trailer. I wasn't in a position to buy new.

I ended up stumbling onto a 24' merritt that a dealer used to hall around their show calves with. They gave me a nice deal on it, 3 years old. I really like the riveted punch sides and feel like they are far superior to a welded trailer.
Russ In Idaho
Posted 12/20/2017 11:54 (#6442065 - in reply to #6441388)

Well my two cents on trailers is they all break over time. I've seen Wilson, Barrett's, Merritt's, Featherlites, even Exiss break on the back endgates over time and rough roads. They all break in the four corners of the trailer on the rear. Yes the Wilsons will break their as well. Everybody complains about a welded trailer like Featherlites, but I've never had them break only on the back corners of the trailer and every trailer will do that. I do know the Wilsons, Merritts are not the trailer to have if you need to rope and pull a bull or cow into. First the punch side will cut your rope or you will open trailer up like a tuna can with a can opener. Just about any aluminum trailer over 10 years old pulled on two track dirt roads is going to need to be welded on. If I recall right but I could be wrong Exiss was a breakoff of Featherlite in early 90's. However they are owned by Universal Trailers which also own Featherlite and a few other brands.

I own several aluminum trailers, however I also own a aluminum welder because they all break. I've went back to using a steel cowboy brush trailer to do most off road work as they will handle the ruff roads better. My thoughts are it all depends on pricing, wear, tires, length of trailer if it's a good deal.
hay-okie
Posted 12/20/2017 12:31 (#6442126 - in reply to #6442065)

Russ, you would probably know this then since you have owned both steel and aluminum. Why do people like the aluminum? I've only had steel and I love it enough (zero welding in 20 years) that I don't care to change, but I wonder why the aluminum preference? The only pro I have heard before is that they are lighter and therefore pull easier, but with the insane torque and HP that modern pickups put out I don't see where weight would ever be an issue. Just curious. Sorry, may be derailing the thread a bit.
Abomb
Posted 12/20/2017 12:42 (#6442152 - in reply to #6442126)

Rust, not everyone keeps their trailer clean
Russ In Idaho
Posted 12/20/2017 12:56 (#6442179 - in reply to #6442126)

Well I number one reason to go to a aluminum back in the early 90's was for weight. We were using big block gas engines at the time. However in a few years diesels took over. Today these trucks will clearly out pull your load. Biggest problem is stopping them when needed. However I love the aluminum over steel when pulling in the winter months because a lot easier to clean aluminum floors over wood or mats. Plus we don't have to paint them, just acid wash them once a year. So on todays costs you can buy two steel trailers to one aluminum. These truck have no problem pulling steel trailers stock from the factory no need to turn them up. So we really try to park our aluminum trailers when we can, run steel. My big gripe now is these diesels with DEF and CATS are getting poorer mileage than the diesels of the 90's and early 2000's. We are sure looking at going back to gas for some of daily trailer pulling. Problem is all our diesels are ton dual's, they get terrible mileage, still under warranty so we haven't tried to "fix" any of them.

We also salt our floors when hauling in the winter months if we can't clean out right when we unload. That way it won't be froze solid when we get home. The aluminum holds up better to floor salting, still have to clean them though.
Supa Dexta
Posted 12/20/2017 13:29 (#6442233 - in reply to #6442126)

NS Canada
Out here next to the ocean steel trailers get the cancer real bad.
Crete
Posted 12/20/2017 13:41 (#6442249 - in reply to #6442233)

Badger State
Here too.

Exiss trailer has been getting it done here for a long time.
ntexcotton
Posted 12/20/2017 12:50 (#6442169 - in reply to #6442065)

North Central Texas
For as long as I can remember, one of my friends order buys 3 days a week and drags his trailer through the pasture the other 4. He tried all the brands. Sooner was good in the mid 90s and he pulled that one for years. New one was junk and he flipped trailers every few months till he bought an elite. He's rough on trailers and that rig has been through hell and back. It just keeps going.

You only find 2 brands on our yard and both are steel - gooseneck and easly.
Wildwood
Posted 12/20/2017 12:35 (#6442137 - in reply to #6441388)

WCMN
I have a 20ft Exiss. Haul Holstien fats and cull cows 30 to 40 miles to market on pavement. It has been a good trailer for me.
Red Cows
Posted 12/20/2017 15:32 (#6442412 - in reply to #6441388)

SE SD
Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't move fast enough it already sold. Is there a website for just trailers? I know there's used trailers out there but hard to find them.
Russ In Idaho
Posted 12/20/2017 15:42 (#6442428 - in reply to #6442412)

https://horsetrailerworld.com give them a try for used and new.
L down bar
Posted 12/20/2017 15:58 (#6442443 - in reply to #6442428)

Spring Ranch, NE
+1
I forgot about that websight. spent many a hours looking through there when I was trailer shopping.
Red Cows
Posted 12/20/2017 18:38 (#6442769 - in reply to #6442428)

SE SD
Russ In Idaho - 12/20/2017 15:42

https://horsetrailerworld.com give them a try for used and new.

Thank you!
JD_Cattle
Posted 12/20/2017 22:09 (#6443410 - in reply to #6442412)

Wright County, MN

https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trailers/for-sale/list/category/16/livestock-trailers?mdlx=Contains&Cond=All

Currently 939 listed of all shapes and sizes.

stevebrownia
Posted 12/20/2017 23:17 (#6443517 - in reply to #6442412)

south west iowa
We have 2 of them and love them 7 x 7 x 24 and 1 7x6.8 x 24
CattleLand
Posted 12/21/2017 08:04 (#6443961 - in reply to #6441388)

Illinois
We have had our 24' Exiss trailer since 2010. We have had no problem with ours, besides the slide gate on the rear needed worked on last summer, the rollers junked out. To give you an idea what we use it for... we have roughly 120 cows, 30 replacement heifers, 80 feedlot calves, 5 bulls. We haul our feedlot calves to market them about 30 miles away and run our cows around to different pastures various times of the year. Only regret on our part was not going with a 26' so we could fit one or two more per load...
ihmanky
Posted 12/21/2017 23:48 (#6445856 - in reply to #6441388)

KY

Would matter to me on storage too.  I have a steel Titan, neighbor to one side has two steel gooseneck brand, one sheeted and one pipe, and both rusting at different levels (different ages), neighbor to the other side has 20 aluminum trailers, can't remember the brand, one is 4 or 5 years old and the other is probably 15, hard to tell the difference between them.  All four of those examples sit outside.  My Titan is an '08, and it shows a little surface rust around the corner where the rear door latches, hasn't been wet in the 4 years I've had it but can't swear it never did prior to that.

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)