AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

outside wood boiler -- inside the shop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Angus in ncmo
Posted 12/11/2008 19:29 (#531408)
Subject: outside wood boiler -- inside the shop

Last year I tore down my old drafty 100+ yr old house and built a new shop with an office/living quarters attached to the end in its place.  The entire concrete floor has the radiant heat tubing already embedded, and currently I'm heating the office/living quarters with a Rinnai tankless propane fired water heater. 

My intentions from the start were to heat with an outside wood boiler, but rather than having it outside, I'd like to put it in the shop.  I do have the room for it, and several days wood supply inside.  I just run out of guts spending money due to the economic outlook, before I got the wood boiler bought.

The pros as I see them are:  1) tending to the stove without having to go out in inclement weather, 2) wood won't be snow crusted or rain soaked, and 3) the expensive insulated piping bringing the hot water inside from the stove to the distribution manifolds will be eliminated. 

The cons:  1) expensive flue pipe through the attic / roof line, 2) discouraging words from insurance company about fire hazzards. 

I enjoy the smell of wood smoke and I've heated with wood stoves inside living rooms basically all my adult life, so I'm aware of the downsides to wood fired appliances inside and how to deal with them, and plan accordingly.

The thing that I'm not sure of is the physics of changing from the short flue pipe that all outdoor boilers seem to have to a longer stove pipe/flue arrangement. I'm just hoping those short pipes aren't designed to allow a little downflow of fresh air for combustion, since a long pipe won't allow for that at all, period.  Don't most of them have a fan forced draft into the firebox for adding fresh air for faster combustion?  And if so, that wouldn't pose any problems inside the shop would it? 

Just wondering if anyone else has put an outside wood boiler -- inside?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
paul the original
Posted 12/11/2008 19:40 (#531425 - in reply to #531408)
Subject: RE: outside wood boiler -- inside the shop

southern MN
Tarm, Harmen, AHS, and others (can't think of the one in Canada....) make some good in-house wood boilers that are cheaper than an oudoor model, and will be spec'ed for within living quarters so you have a chance of passing insurance muster.

The outdoor units will have more insulation, a weather shell, and no chance of being allowed for instalation within a living quarters. They do not have a proper exaust stack setup.

Those I listed put more money into blending into a dwelling & fire control.

Harding makes one that is a cross - it needs shelter - it's not an outdoor unit - but it isn't spec'ed to be in the dwelling. Don't know how theirs would fit your situation.

All of the above are online.

Like you, I like feeding the fire in my loungeware rather than putting on all the heavy clothes just to feed the fire.

--->Paul
Angus in ncmo
Posted 12/11/2008 19:50 (#531441 - in reply to #531425)

thanks for the info Paul.

Here I didn't even know there was such a thing as an inhouse wood boiler. 

Do you have any of those you listed?

paul the original
Posted 12/11/2008 19:56 (#531445 - in reply to #531441)
Subject: Re: outside wood boiler -- inside the shop

southern MN
I am on the slow road of putting in a Harman. Bought it, kinda derailed myself on getting it done.....

There are catalitic versions, and non-cat type. I believe the cat is more efficient, but 'fussy' & spendy. I prefer the simple life.

--->Paul
McCartman
Posted 12/11/2008 19:46 (#531433 - in reply to #531408)

I've heard of them being placed inside small utility sheds to keep them out of the weather and allow a place to store the wood, so putting one inside your shop should not be an issue. The flue pipe should also not be an issue as the short "standard length" flue pipe is not that way for a backdraft - any air these things use for combustion does not come through the flue pipe.

If I were you, I'd simply buy a large indoor boiler if this is what you're wanting to do. Why pay the extra expense for an outdoor boiler (with added insulation, tin, etc) to use indoors? I often think these outdoor boilers are jacked up on the price because they are a popular item recently.
Angus in ncmo
Posted 12/11/2008 20:08 (#531458 - in reply to #531433)

Once again, I'm amazed at what I have learned on this site. 

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm certainly glad I posted this subject here.

NYplowboy
Posted 12/11/2008 20:16 (#531470 - in reply to #531408)

Northern New York
I m going to go in a different direction and ask why you don t just put in a wood stove. I have an outdoor boiler and heat a large house. It takes about 50 cord a year also talked to a guy last week with a similar setup and he used a similar amount of wood. If I was to do it over I would have an indoor wood stove. There is just something nice about pulling a chair up next to a woodstove.
Angus in ncmo
Posted 12/11/2008 20:22 (#531473 - in reply to #531470)

Lived with ashes and bark on the living room floor for 20+ years.  I like the wood heat but don't like the mess. 

And since I've now experienced radiant floor heat, I want the floor warm.

lylefarm
Posted 12/11/2008 22:53 (#531687 - in reply to #531470)
Subject: 50 cords of wood to heat 1 house?

East of Dowagiac Michigan
A cord of wood is 4' by 4' by 8' stacked tight. A rank of wood if 16" by 4' by 8'.

I'm on my third winter with a wood doctor boiler. I think I am burning 8-10 cords per season.
SD-455
Posted 12/11/2008 20:34 (#531488 - in reply to #531408)

Northeast Indiana (Auburn)
A neighbor has a 16'X24' enclosed leanto on the eave side of his shop with the wood boiler setting on the outside of the leanto. The door end of the wood boiler sets about 6" in to the leanto. He can back a wagon of fire wood in to the leanto plus pile some wood around the sides. He has a walk door from the shop into the leanto so he never has to go outside to load the wood boiler.
honesthill
Posted 12/11/2008 22:40 (#531665 - in reply to #531488)

NEW YORK
I put in a outdoor wood boiler two years ago and am very happy with it. I built a 18'x 24' building for mine. I can put 22 face cord of wood it. Enough to last a season. I think that you would be farther ahead to put up a block chimmney (cheaper). Also when you open the door if the blower fan is on you will get no smoke,BUT if the fan has not been on for a while the fire is just smoldering and you will get a great deal of smoke. You might want to put an exhaust fan above the boiler just for this reason or wait for the fan to come on before opening the door.
JohnW
Posted 12/12/2008 02:51 (#531812 - in reply to #531665)

NW Washington
These outside wood boilers can really make a stink when they smolder along when not much heat is needed. So having one downwind from your building would be a good idea. I read that some urban areas are banning these thing because of the smoke. My mother used to cuss the neighbor's outside boiler and it was about quarter mile away from her house.

Edited by JohnW 12/12/2008 02:51
kfarm_EC_IL
Posted 12/12/2008 09:14 (#531960 - in reply to #531408)

Martinsville Ill
I have a central boiler and when i open the door lots of smoke. Not for inside any building and that is the way it is designed. I grew up with a wood stove and I do miss the fire. Not much fun going out in the cold eveing air to load the stove.
jcwag
Posted 12/12/2008 13:03 (#532222 - in reply to #531408)

Upstate Ny
Just buy one of the indoor gasification units. Tarm, Eko-line and Econoburn all make them. i installed a Eko-line, and love it. these use far less wood than the outdoor disasters. Puting a outdoor furnace indoors would void any fire insurance if something were to happen.

Edited by jcwag 12/12/2008 13:05
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)