AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do I fix this Bostitch finish nailer? (Pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dgnnwo
Posted 8/15/2017 22:14 (#6189418)
Subject: How do I fix this Bostitch finish nailer? (Pics)

nw ohio
I've had this nailer for a couple years. It's only had one box of nails through it, so it doesn't get used a lot.
I tried using it today, but it wouldn't shoot any nails. It makes the dent in the wood like it's out of nails. I noticed that the plunger isn't getting retracted far enough. The second picture shows where the plunger is after every trigger pull. I can push it up very easily by hand, but it won't do it itself.
Is there anything I should try to fix it?
Thanks for the help

Edited by dgnnwo 8/15/2017 22:18

(IMG_0484.JPG)

(IMG_0485.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0484.JPG (148KB - 318 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0485.JPG (121KB - 340 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
KRMN FARMN
Posted 8/15/2017 22:17 (#6189433 - in reply to #6189418)
Subject: RE: How do I fix this Bostitch finish nailer? (Pics)

Central nebr
Have a similar one. They come with lube to use. I think you use air line lube? Not sure. Been awhile. The piston is hanging up a little
DRester
Posted 8/15/2017 22:35 (#6189476 - in reply to #6189418)

Franklinton, LA
My first thought would be check your air PSI and squirt a few drops of Bostitch pneumatic tool oil into the air intake port. Some Bostitch nail guns are oil free but I think this model needs a few drops of oil after every box of nails. I would also clean and lubricate the nose pieces. I clean my nail guns by squirting WD40 on the moving parts and blowing it off with an air hose. There is at least an 80% chance that this is not NAT approved!

The next step would be to take the nail gun apart and give it a good cleaning. It may have some caked lubricant in the cylinder and ports. If you don't want to take it apart there should be a power tool repair shop in your area that can service this nail gun. Also, any experienced contractor should be able to take this nail gun apart with their eyes closed. Several years back Bostitch had a crew that would visit building material suppliers and repair Bostitch nail guns at no cost if you purchased a box of nails.
mschultz
Posted 8/15/2017 23:34 (#6189580 - in reply to #6189418)

Oregon
I suspect the check valve, but this thread identified the piston stop as the culprit in a similar fact scenario. Dry firing will destroy the stop- but I still suspect the check valve.

See: http://www.diychatroom.com/f29/porter-cable-nail-gun-not-retracting...

I also copied this from anther thread that repeats what others have shared about oil and a couple of other things:

There are two separate failures that could cause a similar symptom description.

1) The driver is fully extended from the nose and does not return upward at all, unless the air supply is disconnected from the tool. Check that the driver is straight and that there are no interefence inside the nose channel.

2) The driver returns, but only partially, not enough to allow fasteners to advance. This usually suggests sluggishness, due to lack of lubricant, worn o-rings of the driver piston and bumpers. A complete rebuild with the appropriate parts would be the best option. Individual parts to be considered are:

A) lower o-ring of the cylinder
B) o-ring on the driver piston
C) bumper

-Mike

tomosakis
Posted 8/16/2017 08:36 (#6190074 - in reply to #6189418)

Osakis, MN
Probably a bad o ring on the piston, it uses air to return the piston to the top position too. Take the head off the gun and carefully remove gaskets and piston. Probably the lower oring on the piston is rolled off or cut. Probably a symptom of lack of lubrication. Pretty simple to fix.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)