AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Freezing sweet corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

J_Wagfrm
Posted 8/13/2017 11:51 (#6184086)
Subject: Freezing sweet corn

South Western Michigan
I know it was discussed earlier in the year but I'm not really handy with the search function... My wife and I are late minute freezing sweet corn today. For times sake I would like to just cut and vac seal and freeze. All corn will be cooked when taken out of the freezer. Is there a problem with skipping the traditional blanching step? And does it affect storage time? Also I know ear size makes a difference but a rough idea on how many qt bags from each h bushel? Thank you in advance!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
nw_bearcat
Posted 8/13/2017 12:23 (#6184135 - in reply to #6184086)
Subject: RE: Freezing sweet corn

Top middle of MO. land of green hills and grass
We do it different than several, but we blanch on the ear for 2 min, often doing 12 ears at a time in a turkey cooker, then cut and bag. I've known several who cut cold then blanch, then have a bucket of hot corn to get cool, but what we've done seems to cook quick.
Honest1994
Posted 8/18/2017 22:32 (#6196358 - in reply to #6184135)

Iowa
We do the quick Blanch, maybe 4-6 minutes, immediately throw in cold ice water, then cut and bag then freeze. In my opinion, all good frozen veggies were IQF like this, green giant, etc.
roush9799
Posted 8/13/2017 13:09 (#6184227 - in reply to #6184086)

West Central IL
That exactly what we do, cut and freeze in freezer bags. Cook it once when your ready to eat it, normally throw it in the pan still froze and add butter.
Illini Fan
Posted 8/13/2017 14:04 (#6184319 - in reply to #6184086)

Greene County, Illinois

Blanche, cool, cut off, freeze.  That makes the best tasting corn hands down.  I've tried about every other method possible, but nothing compares in taste, and that's not just me saying that, all my kids and relatives agree.  Most of the time, there is only my wife and I, so I just put two ears worth of corn per bag, and it's all we eat at a meal.  For bigger crowds, we just get out more bags.

J_Wagfrm
Posted 8/13/2017 14:45 (#6184383 - in reply to #6184086)

South Western Michigan
Well we put 2 bushel up without freezing due to time constraints. If time allows next weekend I will get my turkey fryer going and do another bushel with the blanch method for a comparison. From what I could find on Google blanching seems to allow you to store it longer with a fresher taste. Lots of conflicting reports tho. Time will tell. Thank you all for the reply.
johnny skeptical
Posted 8/13/2017 16:19 (#6184506 - in reply to #6184086)

n.c.iowa
We just did about 25 quarts, clean it, cut it, bag it, freeze it. Haven't blanched in years.
sadag
Posted 8/15/2017 08:29 (#6187734 - in reply to #6184506)

Lincoln Ill.
We also blanche,cool,cut off and freeze
J_Wagfrm
Posted 8/15/2017 15:38 (#6188553 - in reply to #6184506)

South Western Michigan
Does it seem to keep a good while for you? The biggest thing I read online was that it was only good for 2-3 months if not blanched. These are the same people who say you can only freeze pork for 6 months. I plan to do another 2 bushel this weekend and if it stores fine without blanching then I will skip that step again.
johnny skeptical
Posted 8/15/2017 22:04 (#6189390 - in reply to #6188553)

n.c.iowa
Yup keeps fine, just used the last of last years about three weeks ago, better than I remember it....

Last Sunday asked several local people how the handled their sweet corn, most had a version of this method, one fellow told me that they cut it, mix it with the appropriate sugar and salt, and store it in the refrigerator overnight to let things"mellow out". Then bag it the next day.

If you were worried about some kind of freezer burn, maybe put the stuff that you are going to use in 4-5 months in the cheapo freezer bags, and put the rest into a better quality bag, we use the cheap ones for all of ours.
Lauritsenag
Posted 8/16/2017 08:06 (#6189995 - in reply to #6184086)

Used to cut it off, add ice water and freeze. Kept very well. Now we cut it off, cook it for 20 mins, then bag and freeze. Cuts down on prep time for a meal.
boog
Posted 8/21/2017 22:42 (#6202357 - in reply to #6184086)

Use to blanch, cut & freeze. Now we cut it off, add a little dugar, cover with water & boil for 5 minutes. Then cool, bag & put in the freezer. We think it is better this way & not as messy as blanching first. Put up 40 qts last Wed, probably will do some more when the next planting comes on.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)