AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cheap Grain moisture tester?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Blusteryknollfarm
Posted 7/10/2017 11:58 (#6116877)
Subject: Cheap Grain moisture tester?

North Central Illinois
Looking for a cheap portable moisture tester to monitor drying in the bin and check a sample before harvest, since I don't have a monitor on the combine.

I would like something a little more precise than the "does it crunch between my teeth" test.

Would I be happy with one of these? http://www.dickey-john.com/product/m3g/

Edited by Blusteryknollfarm 7/10/2017 12:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page
whistle pig
Posted 7/10/2017 12:17 (#6116907 - in reply to #6116877)
Subject: RE: Cheap Grain moisture tester?

SE MN
I have one of those. It's really inconsistent and not terribly accurate. I like this one better, and I think it is cheaper.

(image.jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpeg (67KB - 80 downloads)
Andy578
Posted 7/10/2017 13:02 (#6116985 - in reply to #6116907)

Ontario
i have the same one except mine is New Holland branded. out of the box it was off about 2% from the elevator so i adjusted it then it was within 0.2% for the rest of the season. pretty happy with it overall but it can be hard to get the cap to thread on properly
Philbert
Posted 7/10/2017 12:21 (#6116912 - in reply to #6116877)

BENTON, MO

We bought the Mini Gac plus because of the recommendation from here.  It fairly accurate.  Had to get it repaired after the warranty ran out, cost $160.

sparrell
Posted 7/10/2017 12:24 (#6116920 - in reply to #6116877)

Don't waste your money on anything less than a mini gac plus. Been there, done that.

Dmpaul89
Posted 7/10/2017 12:56 (#6116973 - in reply to #6116877)

Sw. Ill
I have that mg3. Its maybe accurate to 2 points. At first it was way off, but seemed to get better the more i used it. I take multiple samples and come up with an average
Blusteryknollfarm
Posted 7/10/2017 15:42 (#6117209 - in reply to #6116973)

North Central Illinois
Well, if it's only accurate within 2 points, I am better off just chewing a handful of wheat berries. I am usually about that accurate myself.
School Of Hard Knock
Posted 7/10/2017 16:43 (#6117296 - in reply to #6116973)

just a tish NE of central ND
Dmpaul89 - 7/10/2017 11:56

I have that mg3. Its maybe accurate to 2 points. At first it was way off, but seemed to get better the more i used it. I take multiple samples and come up with an average

2 points off from whos tester?
Uhm...... did you calibrate it before testing? is theirs calibrated?
You can go from elevator to elevator and there is a variance in moisture with the exact same sample.
Dmpaul89
Posted 7/10/2017 17:52 (#6117396 - in reply to #6117296)

Sw. Ill
Well testing the same batch of corn thats how much it would vary. Corn was 90º though last i used it. Maybe it would work better on cold corn.

I could never get it to give the same reading on a batch, you could dump and refill with the same corn and get a point difference
oldbones
Posted 7/10/2017 19:44 (#6117631 - in reply to #6117396)

Floyd County, Iowa
Dmpaul89 - 7/10/2017 17:52

Well testing the same batch of corn thats how much it would vary. Corn was 90º though last i used it. Maybe it would work better on cold corn.

I could never get it to give the same reading on a batch, you could dump and refill with the same corn and get a point difference

I have an older Dickey John, and it's plenty accurate for what I use it for- the same thing as the OP wants to do, plus testing dryer samples after cooling. I calibrate it every year with the elevator. They won't make temp corrections, though, like a higher end unit.

As far as the "not getting the same reading" part, that happens all the time with commercial testers, so that's a non-issue. I used to test and grade incoming grain at the co-op. When the state inspects the testers, they run their control sample through several times, and then average the results.
jmiller
Posted 7/10/2017 21:36 (#6117919 - in reply to #6117631)

West central Ohio

Way back 35 years ago I held a state grain graders license. Was told at grain grading school to not re-test the same sample. Said to use Boerner divider as many times as necessary to reduce the sample to the amount needed to test. If you want to re-test sample, run untested grain back through divider as many times as necessary to reduce sample and test that sample. He showed us the result of re-testing the same sample over and over. I don't remember if sample moisture increased or decreased. He showed us the same results using several brands of bench type testers. Had a large Dickey John tester, a farm duty Dole and Radson, a Steinlite, and a couple others. Showed us how inaccurate the hand-held testers of the day could be. Hand-held testers needed to have a good representative sample and multiple samples tested and averaged. Grain testers of the day measured moisture by capacitance. I'm sure technology has changed a lot since then, but then again, maybe same principles apply. I haven't seen a big old copper Boerner divider used in years.

oldbones
Posted 7/13/2017 21:59 (#6124369 - in reply to #6117919)

Floyd County, Iowa
jmiller - 7/10/2017 21:36

Way back 35 years ago I held a state grain graders license. Was told at grain grading school to not re-test the same sample. Said to use Boerner divider as many times as necessary to reduce the sample to the amount needed to test. If you want to re-test sample, run untested grain back through divider as many times as necessary to reduce sample and test that sample. He showed us the result of re-testing the same sample over and over. I don't remember if sample moisture increased or decreased. He showed us the same results using several brands of bench type testers. Had a large Dickey John tester, a farm duty Dole and Radson, a Steinlite, and a couple others. Showed us how inaccurate the hand-held testers of the day could be. Hand-held testers needed to have a good representative sample and multiple samples tested and averaged. Grain testers of the day measured moisture by capacitance. I'm sure technology has changed a lot since then, but then again, maybe same principles apply. I haven't seen a big old copper Boerner divider used in years.

Yes, but that's for actual load sampling. You have to have a "representative sample" for the whole load, so I too, was taught to take 2 samples from trucks, or a large enough sample from a single wagon, mix them by hand, then run it through the divider to reduce to a decent size sample.

BUT, we're talking about calibrating a sampler, not grading a load.

The unit has to test a control sample, then calibrate if necessary, then run the SAME sample back through, etc, until it is within reason. You don't want to try and calibrate a tester using several different samples (like from a truck load coming in from the field), as they very well COULD be off a point or more from each other, but the same control sample should be within 1 to 3 tenths of a percent.
The whole point of calibrating is to try and adjust to as close to the actual control sample moisture as possible.
Incidentally, only farmers' hand samplers could be calibrated, and they had to do the adjustment themselves.
The commercial testers have to be calibrated at a licensed repair station, then certified and sealed.
If they are tampered with at the elevator, that elevator is at risk of losing their grain dealers license. The state inspectors only check to ascertain that the tester is within parameters.
Last I knew, acceptable (to state USDA) was within 1/2 point of the control sample. Meaning the state could have 15.0%, we could have 14.5%, and the competitor across town could have 15.5%, so they were all within acceptable parameters.
You undoubtedly already know that, but many here don't.

And yes. things have changed with the testers. The way it was explained to me is that the oldest testers were similar to a doctor's physical exam. The next generation of testers was similar to x-ray. The latest are like MRI.
Posted 7/10/2017 16:04 (#6117251 - in reply to #6116877)

west central Iowa
I've got one like in your link and I don't think it's ever been more than .5 different from the elevator. When my son was in college they tested a bunch and the one in your link tested better than some of the higher priced ones.

Edited to add it also survived a trip up an old fashioned flight elevator and a fall to the bottom of the grain trailer and a ride to Cargill and still works.

Edited by 801486 7/10/2017 16:07
brad c
Posted 7/10/2017 16:27 (#6117277 - in reply to #6116877)

Carbondale, KS
Mini gac plus.
730diesel
Posted 7/10/2017 19:35 (#6117608 - in reply to #6116877)

NE ND
I'll probably get flamed, but we've had very good luck with the ole Dole units through the years.
jdironman
Posted 7/10/2017 22:34 (#6118039 - in reply to #6117608)

Nw Iowa
All the cheap moisture testers we have used have cost us a lot of money. Even overdrying 50000 bushels 1% is 650 bushels at 1.3 shrink. If you use 4$ corn that is 2600$ per year plus cost of extra gas and electricity. You either buy a good tester or buy a cheap one and sell less corn. I get nervous when we are off a 1/4 point as it costs money. Believe me after 35 years the easiest money you can make is not to overdry corn.
davpal
Posted 7/11/2017 01:31 (#6118174 - in reply to #6116877)

Mid Michigan
We use a Dickey John M3g just like the one in your picture and we have really good luck with it. I use it constantly and even at the elevator my numbers are almost exactly what they test every time. Easily within 1/2 point on moisture or closer. Never had a problem with it yet.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)