AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Welp Hatchery
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

gmoney
Posted 3/24/2017 07:57 (#5919102)
Subject: Welp Hatchery

SC Wisconsin
I'm looking at buying some more Cornish Rock broilers for the kids to raise this year, plus I may throw in 5 Barred Rocks for some eggs. In the past I've ordered out of McMurray out of Webster City, IA. No real reason for that other than I recognized the name from when I used to live there, so I figured why not. But I've been happy with their chicks.

I see Welp Hatchery is a decent amount cheaper for the same birds. Mainly because they have free shipping. Has anyone ever dealt with them? I think, but could be wrong, that someone's wife on here works there?

I looked at online reviews, but am taking them with a grain of salt. People seem to love or hate any hatchery they deal with, but it seems like Welp may have a few more negative reviews than McMurray. I don't know if that means anything though - most of the reviews are from uber picky backyard chicken people. I do see they only raise the Cornish in IA, and ship the layers out of Privett Hatchery in NM? Seems like a long trip for 5 day old chicks.

Any first hand experiences?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
gene_champ
Posted 3/24/2017 08:14 (#5919140 - in reply to #5919102)
Subject: RE: Welp Hatchery

NC Iowa
we used to use hoover's out of rudd iowa. https://www.hoovershatchery.com/

don't know how they compare. both have been around for a long time.

gmoney
Posted 3/24/2017 10:44 (#5919420 - in reply to #5919140)

SC Wisconsin
Thanks for the info on Hoovers. Looks like their prices are about the same as Welp. I figure I'll probably go with either them or Welp over McMurrays, saving $20 on a $70 order isn't chunk change.

Hoovers had a pretty cool story about who they are and their history on their website.
Wundrow Farms
Posted 3/24/2017 11:44 (#5919535 - in reply to #5919140)

Boone County, Northern Illinois
Have ordered from hoovers for many years. Really healthy birds and really good service! Never ordered from welp, McMurray are overpriced.
oldbones
Posted 3/24/2017 08:39 (#5919188 - in reply to #5919102)

Floyd County, Iowa
I can't give personal experience with either Welp's or Hoover's products, but know Kurt and Sandy Welp personally, and they're good people.
I live near Hoover's, and know some of the folks that work there, and they've been expanding quite a bit in the last several years.
As far as the "chick trips", Hoover's ships by their own vans, and also regularly take boxes of chicks to the post office for shipping, and they also take them to the airport in Minneapolis/St. Paul for air freight shipping, so I don't think the ride hurts them. I'm pretty sure Welp's ships some via air, also.

timber
Posted 3/24/2017 19:30 (#5920444 - in reply to #5919102)

NEMO
I used to raise 400 or so broilers every year, i liked Hoover Hatchery for their service and always gave me healthy chicks. I have friends that have good luck with Welp.
sammyd
Posted 3/25/2017 08:12 (#5921270 - in reply to #5919102)

Stratford WI

We have bought from Sunnyside Hatchery in Beaver Dam for the last 11 or 12 years. Have always been pleased with their broiler chicks.

http://sunnysidehatchery.com/

Edited by sammyd 3/25/2017 08:12
Lauritsenag
Posted 3/25/2017 08:35 (#5921328 - in reply to #5919102)

For Broilers and Barred Rocks, either nursery will be good. Several years ago we ordered exotics from McMurray for the kids 4-H projects. My son's Japanese black tailed banty was a beautiful bird. Would have taken Grand Champion except; he had 5 toes instead of 4? (don't remember for sure) Nice judge, pulled out the book and explained to the 4-H's that in big hatcheries cross breeding does happen just because of the volume of eggs they produce.
heartlandfarmer
Posted 3/25/2017 09:27 (#5921455 - in reply to #5919102)
Subject: RE: johnny skeptical

NC ia
Johnnys wife works there.
gmoney
Posted 3/25/2017 09:30 (#5921468 - in reply to #5919102)

SC Wisconsin
Well, I ended up ordering from Hoovers. It doesn't sound like I could have gone wrong with either, but it was good to hear of all the positive experiences with Hoovers. I didn't even know they existed before yesterday....

The hatchery in Beaver Dam had some great prices, but no barred rocks.

25 broilers, 5 barred rock females. Looks like I'll be in the chicken business this summer!
gmoney
Posted 6/9/2017 15:26 (#6062285 - in reply to #5921468)

SC Wisconsin
Figured I'd give an update on Hoover's. The birds came in Tuesday. They were in great shape, all alive and eating/drinking right out of the box. So far, so good! Thanks for the recommendations everyone.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)