AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Duluth trading
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

garywi
Posted 1/21/2017 11:51 (#5783570)
Subject: Duluth trading

franksville wi
Was kind of disappointed reading catalog I got in mail today see everything they sell has imported as last word in description.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (196KB - 247 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Five Lock Boll
Posted 1/21/2017 11:58 (#5783581 - in reply to #5783570)
Subject: RE: Duluth trading

Northeast Louisiana
Unions and government acronyms have decimated our textile industry.
davpal
Posted 1/21/2017 12:52 (#5783670 - in reply to #5783581)

Mid Michigan
More like it takes work ethic to work in a factory and it's missing now. People find out they can't have a smart phone 6 inches from their face and do a job in a factory so they chose to not do the job in the factory. Too many government saftey nets for the underemployed and two income households. Lots of husbands don't care if they work anymore because women are becoming the bread winners in the household and women seem all to willing to let it happen. They have a stay at home Mr. Mom and they get to have a career. I've watched 100's get fired or quit from the factory I work at over the years.
dittfarms
Posted 1/21/2017 14:06 (#5783788 - in reply to #5783670)

ottertail co mn
In our little town there are over a 100 job openings any day of the week. The companies are bring the third world people here. Building little cubbies for them to live in. I guess $14 starting wages is not enough to get the uneducated masses to show up for work. If both husband and wife work after a month they would be making $60k a year between them. I guess that's not good enough. If you actually have the desire to stay a little longer and work hard you could be a supervisor and your family would be making 80k a year if your spouse was helping out at all.
JohnW
Posted 1/21/2017 12:02 (#5783590 - in reply to #5783570)

NW Washington
Slave wages in third world countries are too attractive for businesses to ignore. Money talks, BS walks.
Thud
Posted 1/21/2017 15:14 (#5783869 - in reply to #5783590)

Near-north Ontario, French River
It's not that the foreign wages are attractive so much as the North American (we have same problem here in Canada) consumer doesn't want to pay to have products produced on this side of the pond. Some of it is the cost of living, some of it is over regulation ,union wages etc among other things but the fact is that if the products were produced here they wouldn't be competitively priced against foreign imports. So its not that companies don't want to stay "here" so much as that if they don't go off shore they won't survive. It's fine to say America first, etc but until the consumer decides to support domestic producers its a non starter, no number of laws or tariffs is going to change that. For the record, I've purchased quite a bit of Duluth Trading clothing but at current exchange rates paying +$100 for a pair of Duluth firehose pants is getting to be price prohibitive. That isn't the companies fault, or greed on anyone's part its just a simple reality. I'm just glad I stocked up when our dollar was closer to par.
dairyman78
Posted 1/21/2017 14:08 (#5783791 - in reply to #5783570)

S.C. Wisconsin
You can say whatever you want, but the bottom line is responsible Americans went and got an education or a skill. The ones that didn't don't have any work ethics. I didn't go to college or trade school, but encouraged my kids to further their education and they did. Now they don't have to do a mundane job for low pay at a factory. How many of you people would like to work at a boring job at a factory for low pay?
Five Lock Boll
Posted 1/21/2017 14:14 (#5783799 - in reply to #5783791)

Northeast Louisiana
Actually, we absolved the class of people that should be our "working poor" of the responsibility of making a living for themselves and their families, and in doing so dehumanized them.
oldtiger
Posted 1/21/2017 21:06 (#5784630 - in reply to #5783799)

NEMO
Best post on any forum in days,can't believe you didn't get a few hits
BHTN
Posted 1/22/2017 17:30 (#5786412 - in reply to #5783799)

West Tennessee
Five Lock Boll - 1/21/2017 13:14

Actually, we absolved the class of people that should be our "working poor" of the responsibility of making a living for themselves and their families, and in doing so dehumanized them.

Agreed. Zero incentive for them to get a job that just might lead to something better and improve their lives in a LOT of ways. All the politicians can do is to push them all to go to college for free thus lowering even the value of that. What a mess.
papadon
Posted 1/22/2017 19:10 (#5786740 - in reply to #5783791)

living in rural America I see a sad attitude within successful families especially fathers-- I'm speaking of dads in the 1945-1960 era.some very successful dads in that era left school in the 8 th grade to tenth grade level and joined the work force with no diploma but with a farmboy work ethic.many of these men worked their way to very good paying jobs with a high level of responsibility.some went back to the family farm and worked their way to very good farmers and valuable community members.now comes the sad part.i had a neighbor my dads age that left the farm for health reasons and became a well paid excellent project superintendant--clerk of the works in construction.i well remember a discussion one evening after our church trustees' meeting in which he was very upset at the cost of sending his youngest daughter to college.i suggested he get her a summer job as many teenagers in our area at that time did to help out.he flew mad as hell at me and gave me to understand that "no child of his was going to have to work like he did". sadly that lack of work ethic and the attitude that "the world owes me" is there today and that is just one case and i'll bet ag talkers know of other sad tales.
Balzy
Posted 1/21/2017 14:29 (#5783812 - in reply to #5783570)

central Iowa
We had a sports wear factory here since the '60s. They picked up and moved first to North Carolina IIRC the on to Mexico. Lack of workers here was not the
issue. Owners get greedy , period.
georgeb
Posted 1/21/2017 14:52 (#5783837 - in reply to #5783570)
Subject: even so, they still

have one of the toughest line of clothing on the market.
Newguy
Posted 1/21/2017 15:19 (#5783874 - in reply to #5783837)
Subject: And

Renville Minnesota
georgeb - 1/21/2017 14:52

The best return/sales/gauruntee policy in the business.

And the funnest advertising (ballroom Jeans billboard off I94 in Bloomington MN is hillarous)

I've turned into a DT snob.... Can't wear anything else for work. (My budget has temporarily increased in the work wear bracket)
datyerdog?
Posted 1/21/2017 15:29 (#5783895 - in reply to #5783874)
Subject: RE: And

Newguy - 1/21/2017 15:19

georgeb - 1/21/2017 14:52

I've turned into a DT snob.... Can't wear anything else for work. (My budget has temporarily increased in the work wear bracket)

+1 Carhartt has nothing on Duluth Trading. Best tee shirts on the market.
gbenkfarm
Posted 1/21/2017 15:36 (#5783902 - in reply to #5783570)

SeMN
If you go to their website they do sell some stuff made in USA. Only pants are the ballroom jeans. http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/workwear/usa-made/american-...
WTF2014
Posted 1/21/2017 17:23 (#5784097 - in reply to #5783570)

CIL
Would you buy chemicals or seed from a low cost dealer/supplier who wasn't in your immediate area? A lot of us do. Not surprising many companies have headed overseas especially for manufacturing. Remember when a guy working the meat packing line made good money? Only problem is, no American wants to do it anymore. Welcome to a global capitalist society. Borders don't mean much, especially to the billion or more dollar companies which have all the influence.
nebfarmer
Posted 1/21/2017 18:55 (#5784298 - in reply to #5784097)

SE Nebraska, Near Misery and Cans Ass!
Veterinary percent of you better is real owners couldn't wait by your glyphosate and generic chemicals for a lower price from China.Bet you're tickled silly to sell your grain to them too.
WTF2014
Posted 1/21/2017 19:32 (#5784400 - in reply to #5784298)

CIL
nebfarmer - 1/21/2017 18:55

Veterinary percent of you better is real owners couldn't wait by your glyphosate and generic chemicals for a lower price from China.Bet you're tickled silly to sell your grain to them too.

1st...can't translate the first half of your response....veterinary? Second, yes we sell them a hell of a lot of soybeans and glad we do, because we're low cost producers in a country where a safe, stable agriculture sector is a priority. So for the sake of abundant crops I'll gladly ship some overseas. I know it's a burden I'll gladly bare.
Jim
Posted 1/21/2017 21:14 (#5784650 - in reply to #5783570)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I went into one of their very nice stores and was very disappointed to see a large portion of the products in the store said "Made in Vietnam".

Maybe it's my age and generation showing, but I am not going to buy anything "Made in Vietnam". Very disappointing.

Looking at that label reminded me of my high school classmates that never made it to even our 5th reunion because of Vietnam. There are about 50,000 Americans of my generation that died there. So they could sell pants in the USA?

It seems the younger US generation doesn't know much about history, too busy on their computer war games.  I remember too much history, and too many friends, to buy clothes made in Vietnam.

I would pay more if they were actually made in Duluth.

A more appropriate name might be Ho Chi Minh trading.

Edited by Jim 1/21/2017 21:55
Thud
Posted 1/21/2017 22:28 (#5784755 - in reply to #5784650)

Do you refuse to buy Japanese or German products for the same reason?
Jim
Posted 1/22/2017 00:15 (#5784847 - in reply to #5784755)

Driftless SW Wisconsin
I purchase quality American made products whenever possible. We need to keep skills and a broad range of jobs in the USA. Our kids can't all be in finance nor working at McDonald's. We need strong design engineering and manufacturing in the USA. Some things are more important than "cheap".

Edited by Jim 1/22/2017 00:19
easy
Posted 1/22/2017 07:38 (#5785022 - in reply to #5784847)

Everything has a price. How much more are we willing to pay?
Jim
Posted 1/22/2017 08:58 (#5785194 - in reply to #5785022)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

easy - 1/22/2017 07:38 Everything has a price. How much more are we willing to pay?

One part of the problem is that people want first world wages but to pay third world prices.

Another problem is the drive for management of a publicly/investor-owned company to maximize corporate profits at all costs.

In my opinion, not "Everything" has a price.  We have to act in our own long term best interests, not sell everything to the highest bidder.

But I am obviously swimming upstream on this topic.

To answer your question, I will pay a significantly higher price to purchase a high quality USA-made product, in part because it often ends up being the best value in the long run.

Thud
Posted 1/22/2017 15:46 (#5786113 - in reply to #5784847)

That's a fair statement, its also a much different statement than your original post where you connected your personal losses from the Vietnam War with your refusal to buy Vietnamese products.
pjt
Posted 1/22/2017 08:48 (#5785172 - in reply to #5784755)

Princeton,IN

Thud-

I have known (time takes it's toll) a lot of people who felt as Jim does.  Leave your friends or blood in a foreign county and you may never get the taste out of your mouth.

Thud
Posted 1/22/2017 15:47 (#5786117 - in reply to #5785172)

Fair enough.. Just keep in mind that Japan and Germany are now some of the US's closest allies.
dairyman78
Posted 1/22/2017 08:53 (#5785185 - in reply to #5783570)

S.C. Wisconsin
I am told our president has a line of clothing made in China.
Jim
Posted 1/22/2017 09:03 (#5785206 - in reply to #5785185)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

That is certainly his prerogative to try to maximize his profits.

My prerogative is that I don't choose to buy it.

Also doesn't seem to match his rhetoric.

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)