AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Difference in belts on JD round balers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jodan
Posted 12/28/2015 10:54 (#4992359)
Subject: Difference in belts on JD round balers

Bardstown, Ky
A friend has a new 568 baler. Something messed up and Deere replaced his belts even though only two were messed up. My 535 needs new belts so I was thinking of buying his belts. His belts are going to be about 5" shorter than mine. Will that be a big deal or should I put a splice in to make them the correct length? What difference would it make to use his as they are? Smaller bale?TIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page
gfd_703
Posted 12/28/2015 11:09 (#4992396 - in reply to #4992359)
Subject: RE: Difference in belts on JD round balers

Belts need to be the correct length for correct operation. If you put all belts on that are too short the baler will have a hard time starting a bale and will not be able to make a full size bale. If you only replace some of the belts with shorter belts those belts will take all the pressure and will soon fail. If you splice the belts you will need to make all the splices at least 18" long so that the splices are spaced out as they go around the rollers. His baler will have 4 long and 4 short belts, 5" difference. You might be able to make shorts out of his longs to fit your machine and use the shot ones to make splices with.
Super 65
Posted 12/28/2015 11:39 (#4992464 - in reply to #4992359)

South Central Kansas
Google Burrells Implement in Fairview Oklahoma that is the best place to buy OEM belts. I would not mess with belts that are to short but you might be able to make some work and buy the rest new. If I were your neighbor I would at least keep a couple of the belts for spares.
Angus8335
Posted 12/28/2015 12:55 (#4992663 - in reply to #4992359)

Galena IL
Look in the book for the correct length , some are shorter. If the book calls for 41ft 4" and 42 ft 8 " (example) make sure their all the same inchs short. Belts that are 5" short will only make the bale 1.5" shorter. So if you can live with 70.5" tall in stead of 72" go for it, we set our balers at 68" so we don't get net wrapped around the top roller and take the bearings out... Dennis
jodan
Posted 12/28/2015 13:01 (#4992677 - in reply to #4992663)

Bardstown, Ky
We rarely make the bales as large as the baler will go any way. Usually make them 5 tom5.5'. Is getting the bale started going to a problem? I'm not sure how the shorter belt would cause that to happen.
oldbob
Posted 12/28/2015 13:08 (#4992697 - in reply to #4992359)

West Cental Arkansas
If you want to do some modifications it can be done. Cut 3 or 4 feet off one of your belts. Take one of your old belts or buy a new belt and cut 3 or 4 feet plus 5 inches off your old belt or a new belt and splice it in the belts that are too short. Only thing is you will have 2 splices in each belt.

I broke an almost new belt on a 530 baler a long long time ago. Spliced it like this and run it for years.

Just my thoughts......
lino
Posted 12/28/2015 14:39 (#4992881 - in reply to #4992359)

Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia
The only problem with short belts is smaller bales no difference starting bales we ran our 535 belts so short that we could only bet a 5' 4" bale but we got new belts after that season as the last 8" is where the most bale is.

The mato splices have reduced cutting and shortening the belts as they don't wear as fast in newer bales
The most important thing is to replace the pins as they wear

We have also run with 3 joins and it is not a problem but the short piece no shorter than 5" and the ideal length would be 18"
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)