AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Benchtop Milling Machine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

rollig
Posted 11/6/2014 08:08 (#4163430)
Subject: Benchtop Milling Machine

SCMN

Anybody have one of these smaller benchtop mills?  I was going to get s decent drill press but maybe one of these would be worth the extra coin.  Kinda limited in depth of travel but to be able to mill slots and flats would be very handy.  I'm sure some will say to find a big old Bridgeport  but they are harder to come by, weigh a ton, and are always 3PH.  This little Jet looks neat.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200322815_200322815

Top of the page Bottom of the page
E718
Posted 11/6/2014 08:15 (#4163446 - in reply to #4163430)
Subject: RE: Benchtop Milling Machine

Sac & Story county IA
The idea of lots of cast iron is what makes a mill rigid. My mill is about 5000 and considered a gentle flower as far as mills go. The little one just won't do it unless tiny, tiny cuts or aluminum or plastic.
Don't sweat the 3 phase thing. Several ways around that.
evilboweivel
Posted 11/6/2014 08:19 (#4163457 - in reply to #4163430)

Lancaster, Ohio
Grizzly makes good tools
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mill-Drill-with-Stand-8-x-29-Table-...
bleedred
Posted 11/6/2014 08:20 (#4163460 - in reply to #4163430)

East Central Ia
The problem is they don't do either drilling or killing very good. With that tube type head mount it's very hard to keep them trammed. If you can't keep it trammed you have nothing.

I have no expirence with them but was in the same boat as you a year ago.

I spent a little more than that and got an old Bridgeport and LOVE it! They are so handy.

They weigh a lot for a reason... Stability! If you want to do some milling get an honest milling machine. You can always make a hole with one. Otherwise get a nice drill press.

Either way I would suggest finding a an old name brand one...

The 3ph part is fantastic. Small VFD's are cheap and work great for very clean power plus you can vary the speeds.
Rawleigh
Posted 11/6/2014 08:43 (#4163499 - in reply to #4163430)

White Stone, Virginia
If you look around you can find a good used Bridgeport clone for the same or less money WITH TOOLING! Don't be afraid of 3 phase. You can buy a static phase converter (the motor will be derated by 1/3) or a rotary phase converter. Better yet, you can make a rotary phase converter yourself out of an old 3 phase motor and some capacitors. The capacitors provide the juice to start the 3 phase converter motor on single phase power. Once the motor is running on single phase it generates the third leg power for the 3 phase. You would run the mill off of the two 220 legs and the third leg from the rotary phase converter. That is how I run all of my equipment and it works fine. Lots of info on the internet about it. Also, www.practicalmachinist.com has a phase converter section with lots of good info.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/transformers-phase-converters-...

Edited by Rawleigh 11/6/2014 08:44
IAhaymakr
Posted 11/6/2014 08:59 (#4163534 - in reply to #4163430)

Northwest iowa
The little jet looks neat, but that's where the fun ends. Buying that to do any real work would be like buying a V6 half ton two wheel drive to pull a stock trailer full of cows out to pasture. Like others said, bridgeport style mills are the way to go. We got the 3phase part cured for under $200.
Dozer
Posted 11/6/2014 09:02 (#4163539 - in reply to #4163430)

Southern Iowa

They work for occasional milling but aren't very convenient.  Without a knee to move table up/down it's pretty limiting what you can machine.  The head can be raised on the column but you would have to relocate your work since the head will swing.  Not very convenient as a drill press either.

The worst feature is changing spindle speeds....a royal PITA shifting belts around way the pulleys are designed.

Pofarmer
Posted 11/6/2014 09:23 (#4163579 - in reply to #4163430)

That is just a drill press with a feed table.  I would be leery of it. 

ronm
Posted 11/6/2014 09:29 (#4163588 - in reply to #4163430)

Fruita CO
A mill-drill is better than nothing, like the others said-I looked for years & finally found a Bridgeport, which, only weighing a ton, is considered a light-duty mill by REAL machinists...:) But, it will do a lot more than a mill-drill. That said, there's an old gentleman from Montrose CO that has built some of the most awesome live-steam models with nothing but a mill-drill & a Craftsman lathe...like any machine, the operator makes the difference.
Maxx Catt
Posted 11/6/2014 13:01 (#4163884 - in reply to #4163430)

Great Lakes State
IMHO it is way to expensive for what you get.
Besides the issues others have mentioned you will be really limited to small pieces due to your clamping fixtures.
There are plenty of times I wish our Alliant (Bridgeport clone) had a larger table/travel.
Herbie56
Posted 11/6/2014 15:05 (#4164012 - in reply to #4163430)

Coles County, Illinois
I had an Enco version of this and it wasn't a bad drill press. It'll handle a 1" bit. The table is kinda nice if you need to drill holes a specific distance apart. Milling is an extremely light duty proposition. The ways on the table allow too much vibration for cutting keyways but it can do a good job cutting adjustment slots in 1/4" thick stock.

A negative compared to a drill press is the lack of a hole in the table. So you have to use a vise and standoffs or clamp the piece to the table on standoffs. So you have a lot more set-up time.
260 AR
Posted 11/6/2014 19:55 (#4164238 - in reply to #4163430)

SE SD
You are right, I'd say find a big old Bridgeport. http://www.greenwayassoc.com/9327-bridgeport-vertical-milling-machi... Not to far away in Orange City IA. I bought my lathe from these guys, seem like straight shooters.
cyyam
Posted 11/7/2014 02:27 (#4164631 - in reply to #4163430)

I personally would use the Lamello Flush for this http://topbestprice.com/top-20-best-selling-milling-machines/

Either that or what the OP has suggested, and if you have cash to spare check out the SHOP FOX M1004 which even has a digital readout
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)