AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hay moisture tester
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

cwjones
Posted 7/10/2014 21:17 (#3961738)
Subject: Hay moisture tester

Southern Indiana
I would like a handheld tester what's out there that's priced reasonably. Is there a tester that can test in the bale and out? What kind of $$$ am I looking at? TIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Daryl in KY
Posted 7/10/2014 21:47 (#3961810 - in reply to #3961738)
Subject: RE: Hay moisture tester

Kentucky
Delmhorst has several models. Not inexpensive. They don't have a thermometer
upstate ny
Posted 7/10/2014 21:54 (#3961830 - in reply to #3961810)

Seems pretty decent. The temp gauge is not much it usually reads 80 degrees most of the time even if its 90 outside. The moisture side is pretty decent. I find that the bale needs about half hour to give the true number. When just out of the baler my rule of thumb is add 5 points. The pic shows 9.5 so it will be right around 15 percent. That hay was stacked on the wagon to be loaded in a tractor trailer a week or so later and was at 14 to 15 %. The bale needs time to sweat or start the curing process to get a real accurate read. Can't speak for other units but probing bales in the chamber will be lower % than an hour later on the wagon, But that being said an hour later or two days later the number is the same just as long as the hay was dry. That unit was a couple hundred bucks and simple to use. Been using it for three years now but have baled lots of small squares for years with out it also.

Edited by upstate ny 7/10/2014 22:40

(20130919_151819.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20130919_151819.jpg (137KB - 79 downloads)
farmboy1492
Posted 7/11/2014 09:59 (#3962480 - in reply to #3961830)

I have the same one. I have it about 7 years so far so good. I keep it in the orginal package at all times, no battery over the winter. It has its moments!! clean tip and re-calibrate it! think it around $200 from new Holland.

Testing hay that's not in a bale. They say grab a hand full and twist it in a knot, put probe in knot to read. It works but I think it usely really low reading

Edited by farmboy1492 7/11/2014 10:04
Ben D, N CA
Posted 7/10/2014 23:34 (#3962010 - in reply to #3961738)

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
I use Delmhorst, the ones with the needle. Tough to get an average reading with the digital ones. You can probe and read, but you can't move it while reading, which is very useful at times. Sometimes when we are baling right at dawn you can get a little too much dew moisture on the top of the windrow, if that is the only place you probe you'll think it is too wet. Move the probe in or out 2" and it might drop below 10, nice to be able to read that. Or a green stem or two can fool you if you hit right on it.

We bale a lot of export hay that needs to be dry, but they want good leaf retention which only happens if you bale with good dew, so accurate moisture readings are very crucial.

I've tried on the baler meters, none work at. The ones on the new Hesston big balers are supposed to be good though.
WYDave
Posted 7/11/2014 08:10 (#3962298 - in reply to #3962010)

Wyoming

I second the choice of the analog needle meter. The digital stuff looks impressive, but is maddening to actually try using.

The other thing we had was a sort of crochet-hook lookin' thing that I'd poke into a bale and pull. It was a great way to look for damp slugs in a bale. 

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 7/15/2014 07:46 (#3968978 - in reply to #3962298)
Subject: Analog Hay moisture tester

Little River, TX
As Usual WYDave is right on.

The analog needle meter is the better way to go. Best as an on the go system.

It will when you just baled a wet slug.

Yes Delmhorst has an on the go system but it is a digitial system. Initially I would hold the read button in when ever I had something of interest. Now I use a small C clamp to hold the read button in on my analog meter.

Here we check the hay for drying about supper time. If the stems are dry we bale the next day as the humidity goes to 70% RH. The hay baled at 70% RH will test in the 20% Moisture range. This is the last hay to be picked up, or is used for the top two tiers on the NH Balewagon.

My moisture pickup is two stainless & isolated from ground carrage bolts mounted on the side opposite the cut edge. This gives a reading of the leaf or dew moisture. IF I were going to push my luck and bale while the stems still held moisture I would mount the moisture pickup on the cut side which will read mostly stem moisture. Then I would spray buffered acid at a rate to cover the stem moisture.

I read the humidity with a meter with a large digitial read out, and place it on the ground next to the windrow.

For small square bales we can bale at 70% RH while for large dense bales we can bale at 65% RH.

Now I do say read next to the hay. I have seen the hay still WET with DEW when the stand up RH was in the 50% range, HERE.

As the hay dries during baling the bales become longer and lighter. Here the on the go moisture tester will encourage me to get down and check the bale weight and the bale length.

A hand probe moisture tester is handy to see how the moisture is the day following baling. With stem moisture the hay will sweat and read higher moisture. One of those heating and weighying moisture testing will give us the average moisture

HERE I rake the hay at least one day ahead of baling, at first light. When we have the most surface dew. This saves leaves.

WV told me that at 70% RH down at the hay level, the hay will be no drier than 20% Moisture.
For 65% the hay will be no drier than 18% Moisture.

For night baling HERE we can start baling as the Humidity goes up to 60% Humidity. The slip clutch will tell me when to take some tension off the baler as the bales become too damp to bale.
HERE we can usually start baling between 10 & 11 AM and will have two maybe three hours before the hay is too dry to bale.
HERE for night baling we can expect to start at 10 or 11 PM and have maybe 6 hours of baling before the hay is too tough to bale.
I did not know about the Humidity when I baled at night but you can tell the moisture by the feel of the air on your face. We can take off baling as soon as we see the leaves are not flying off the bale.
Many times when the hay is too tough to bale the shear bolt on the flywheel fail. note I auit night baling about when I turned 65.

The local accomidations for the Rules For Baling will differ.
For day time operating:
With a 90% Humidity the hay will be no drier than 40% Moisture.
With 70% Humidity the hay will be no drier than 20% Moisture.
With 65% Humidity the hay will be no drier than 18% Moisture.

Matt neoh
Posted 7/11/2014 05:01 (#3962087 - in reply to #3961738)

I have a good used one that I dont need, Its a digital delmorst
deere6810
Posted 7/11/2014 08:06 (#3962290 - in reply to #3962087)

what are you asking for your meter
RockyMtnKng
Posted 7/11/2014 09:29 (#3962445 - in reply to #3961738)

Manson IA
I bought one of these a few years ago. I only have the needle, but you can get attachments to measure windrow also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delmhorst-F6-Analog-Hay-Moisture-Meter-Test...

deere6810
Posted 7/11/2014 12:04 (#3962688 - in reply to #3962445)

new I think they are about $200.
RockyMtnKng
Posted 7/11/2014 13:39 (#3962804 - in reply to #3962688)

Manson IA
If I remember right I only paid about $50 for the one I bought on ebay...
57ringo
Posted 8/29/2014 19:06 (#4045825 - in reply to #3962804)

Emporia, ks

I'm looking for one that measure moisture and the temperature & I'll be using it on prairie hay too. I heard most of them are not as accurate on grass hay. Is an agra tronix HT-Pro a good unit?

Edited by 57ringo 8/31/2014 21:24
Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 8/31/2014 13:46 (#4048682 - in reply to #3962445)

Little River, TX
You can also write the company and get the pick up attachment that bolts to the bale chamber. Any CB antena cable will work to send to the meter on the tractor.
For a continious read out I use a small C clamp.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)