AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cost to sharpen chainsaw chains?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Angus in ncmo
Posted 2/7/2008 22:09 (#304139)
Subject: Cost to sharpen chainsaw chains?

I've been sharpening chainsaw chains for neighbors and friends for several years now (10+) with a professional Stihl bench model grinder.  I've never tried to make money at it, I only do it in my spare time and only charge minimally, $2.50 to $3.50 depending on the size and style of chain. 

I get plenty of comments that I'm not pricing my work nearly high enough, so I'm wondering what everyone is paying in their area for professionally sharpened chains?

Still not looking to make money, but want to continue to help out my neighbors and friends without giving my work away too cheaply. 

Just looking for a range of prices that are paid around the country.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
sag0330
Posted 2/7/2008 22:12 (#304146 - in reply to #304139)
Subject: Re: Cost to sharpen chainsaw chains?

WC IA
last spring when I had mine sharpened in town they charged me $7.00 I think they were fixing something else at the time I'm in west central iowa
Jim
Posted 2/7/2008 23:50 (#304256 - in reply to #304139)
Subject: RE: Cost to sharpen chainsaw chains?

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I would suggest you could come up with a fair price by charging by the hours required per chain x whatever hourly rate you believe covers your personal time and facility/machinery/consumables.

For example if sharpening a chain takes you 20 minutes (1/3 hr) and you figure your time/space/consumables total $21 an operating hour then $7. per chain is a fair price. If it only takes you 10 minutes on a small chain then 10 min = 1/6 hr x $21 = $3.50 is a fair price. This way it would take into account the increased time for a larger and longer chain vs a small one. 

I always appreciate a sharpening job where the operator doesn't wear down my chain excessively in the sharpening process. I have taken in some chains  for first time sharpening and they come back sharp but about worn out. I don't mind paying a bit more for a sharpening job where the chain is sharpened but not worn out in the process.

Good Luck.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 2/7/2008 23:51
1480farmin
Posted 2/7/2008 23:51 (#304257 - in reply to #304256)

Godfrey,IL/ Greenfield,IL
We get charged 3.25 per chain at the loacal stihl shop. Wich seems to be a great price and cheaper than doing it ourselves, because they do a lot better job
BBRIP
Posted 2/8/2008 01:18 (#304311 - in reply to #304139)

sunnyside WA.
I pay $7.50 for a 18" chain. Seems resonable, he does alot better job then I can.
95h
Posted 2/8/2008 01:26 (#304315 - in reply to #304139)

Kittitas Co. Wa. State

You're right in the neighborhood of a fair price at $3.50.  Why don't you consider yourself a "professional" after sharpening chains for 10 years ?? 

"Still not looking to make money, but want to continue to help out my neighbors and friends without giving my work away too cheaply."  Well if you want to continue helping out neighbors and friends why not just continue as you are? 

I'm "old school" I guess,, I just put the bar in the bench vise, tighten the chain real tight to take out the "file chatter" and hand sharpen my saws. It takes about 20 minutes but, my chains last alot longer than using a grinder type saw sharpener.

Just my theory about friends/neighbors,, but I don't ever want them to feel like they ever got less than a fair friend/neighbor deal from me. If they weren't a friend or neighbor they probably haven't ever met me anyway.

Angus in ncmo
Posted 2/8/2008 21:57 (#304988 - in reply to #304315)

I actually do consider myself a professional when it comes to sharpening chains, hence my question about what others are charged to have chains "sharpened professionally". 

The 2 main differences in me and a professional shop is 1) I won't tell you when I can have it done, and 2) I don't make any money selling new chains, and consequently I don't have any incentive to grind their chains excessively on my grinder, so I can sell them more new chains. 

And, yes there is a lot of money made in selling chain.  I buy it by the 100' roll and know that even buying that much at a time off of a dealer, who is still making his percentage on rolls sold to me, I'm saving a quite substantial amount over what the general public pays for the same amount of chain pre-made into loops. 

Steve NW WI
Posted 2/8/2008 05:12 (#304337 - in reply to #304139)

Star Prairie, WI
$5.00 here, think it's an extra dollar if left on the saw. I get mine done at the Stihl dealer on my way to work, drop off 1 day, pick up the next.

Have had chains done at hardware stores, etc. in the past, painfully easy to tell when a new guy gets the job. Picking up a (previously) good chain that is burnt black or ground to smithereens will set me off pretty quick.

Steve
conservation cop
Posted 2/8/2008 08:17 (#304404 - in reply to #304139)

Gettysburg, PA
Costs me $7.00 off the bar and $8.00 on at my local stihl dealer.

Edited by conservation cop 2/8/2008 08:17
RodInNS
Posted 2/8/2008 09:01 (#304444 - in reply to #304139)

Sounds fair to me... IT takes about 5 minutes to sharpen a 16" chain, so depending on what you want for your time....

Personally I don't like sharpening chains for others. It's just simply one of my pet peeves that a person can push a saw but can't sharpen the damn chain. For that I think they deserve to pay whatever someone feels it's necessary to charge them. For those that pay 7 bucks to get a chain sharpened..... I think there's otheres that think like me. A new chain is 20 bucks...
A file is about free with the chain.

Rod
conservation cop
Posted 2/8/2008 09:34 (#304474 - in reply to #304444)

Gettysburg, PA
The 16" stihl picco chain costs me $45 to replace.  I'll do a little sharpening as I use the saw, but, to get a good job and to lenghten the life of my chain, I'll gladly pay $7.00 two or three times a year.
RodInNS
Posted 2/8/2008 15:31 (#304744 - in reply to #304474)

You're getting ripped by more than twice. We buy Stihl branded chain all the time for 18-20 bucks for 16" bars. 72DP60 is the Oregon number and the Stihl number is 33RS 60 I believe... Both are about the same price. I think you can buy a carbide chain for a little over 100 bucks here.

Rod
conservation cop
Posted 2/8/2008 15:39 (#304748 - in reply to #304744)

Gettysburg, PA
I about sh%t when I was given that price.  Dealer went on to explain that the 025 model I have was one of the few that used this "picco" chain.  Its a much thinner chain is the only thing I can tell you about the difference (it actually has a special bar for this so you can't switch chains unless you replace the bar and the gear).  To make things worse, Oregon doesn't make a compatible.  This is the first replacement chain I've gotten for this saw which I've owned for about 10 years now.  So, you can see it hasn't seen much use in the recent past anyway.
boog
Posted 2/8/2008 11:35 (#304579 - in reply to #304139)

Paid $6 last year for 18" & 20" chains. We carry a battery powered Dremal with us when cutting to touch the chains up. Usually take a chain in once or twice a year to be sharpened & have the guides set.
feelnrite
Posted 2/8/2008 11:58 (#304600 - in reply to #304139)

northwest tennessee
What you are charging is all I would pay to get one sharpened. I can buy a new oregon chain for my stihl at lowes for 17.99 and that is an 18 inch bar. The grinders take too much off the chain anyway for me.
John In Ontario
Posted 2/8/2008 12:01 (#304607 - in reply to #304139)

Ripley, Ontario Canada
I just use a file. It seems if you are cutting a lot you need to touch it up about every other tankfull, more often in certain kinds of wood, even more often if you are doing barn renovations (although you don't do these with a new chain). It takes about 5 min if you have a vise, and seems to cut well for me. You can still take a lot off a chain in a short time with a file.
McCartman
Posted 2/8/2008 21:52 (#304983 - in reply to #304139)

I do the same thing and charge the same as you. Started out more as a hobby - kinda liked doing it and didn't feel right about charging $6.50 like the Stihl dealer in town. However, as I get to doing more and more, it became painfully clear that there isn't enough money in it for the time I'm spending - especially the clowns who don't know when to quit on a chain and you have to grind 1/2 the teeth off to get to a good cutting point (I'm sure you've been there, done that!).

I certainly don't mind doing chains for $2.50 if all they need is a touch up, but when they are half destroyed, it isn't worth it. I also don't like grinding rakers down. Been thinking of charging according to the job. Touch up will be cheap. Rakers ground - a bit more. Mangled chain - more yet... You get the drift. If someone brings me a chain that I have to spend and hour bringing back into shape, they'd pay the same as the guy in town. It would still be a better value since the Stihl dealer rushes the process and burns cutters. I take my time and grind slow.

I get the same comments as you about doing it too cheap. However. most guys hand me a Five and refuse change. This is the only reason I hesitate to change my fees. But there are a few who expect change back and one arsehole who write me a check every time! ;) Feel like telling him to just keep it since I'll spend more than that in gas taking it to the bank to cash it! :)
Angus in ncmo
Posted 2/8/2008 22:29 (#305018 - in reply to #304983)

Your post sounds all too familiar.  However, I refuse to grind down the teeth on chains that have been run in the dirt or otherwise used and abused making dust instead of chips for far too long.  I reset the drags and make their chain cut aggressive enough to wear the teeth back to a proportionate length relative to the heighth of the drags, and then explain to the owner what's going on.  He'll get the use of his chain that way, but he's going to have to be careful with chain set that aggressively.

I don't mind tounching up the rakers/drags, it's pretty easy and very fast on my grinder, not much of a problem except that $#%* low kickback, safety chain -- what a PITA.  I usually charge extra for those just for the pure frustration endured working on them. 

I appreciate all the replies here.  I think I might consider raising my prices for a few "customers" and just leaving it as is for the rest.

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)