AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Foil double bubble for insulation, does it work OK?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Loren SE IA
Posted 5/31/2013 16:04 (#3129655)
Subject: Foil double bubble for insulation, does it work OK?

Kalona, IA

I'm in the process of building a new cage free chicken house. My designer is from Buffalo, MO and says that the foil dbl. bubble on both sides of the wall would be adequate. In SE IA people have not really been using that and not sure if it would be adequate. My biggest concern would be to keep the inside walls from "sweating". I will have several heaters to provide supplimental heat and lower the humidity.

The chickens will actually provide enough body heat to keep it warm as my current building is curtain sided at the top 3' and I use no additional heat but it is very humid and some walls with blown in insulation get real wetwhere the insulation settled. 

This will be an enviromentally controlled building. Would it cost less or more then conventional insulation? The inside wall will be lined with something other then steel on the bottom 1/2.

Any tips and advice would be appreciated!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Pofarmer
Posted 5/31/2013 16:50 (#3129721 - in reply to #3129655)
Subject: Re: Foil double bubble for insulation, does it work OK?

I've used it in the ceiling of my my shop. It is definitely better than nothing, well, until a couple coons had a party up there, but that is a different situation. I suppose, nice thing about it is, in your situation, it won't collect moisture and it won't rot or mold or anything. There are a few here using it for insulation in "cheaper" pole buildings, but, I don't think the R value is very high.
srsu99
Posted 5/31/2013 18:18 (#3129850 - in reply to #3129655)

Central / West Texas
Just make sure it is foil on both sides. I used this when I built my shop back in 94. Later they came out with some stuff that was foil on the side facing the roof and white on the side you see inside the building. As many here know I erect metal buildings for a living. The stuff with the white pvc on inside was cheaper, and we used a lot of it. Probally 20-30 buildings. Maybe 60000 square feet of buildings or so. Well that stuff started delaminating. The white would just flake off and go all over the place. It was a mess. At first the company said it was due to exposure to uv. Well some of the buildings had no windows or skylights and it was just as bad in those. They gave me some money to redo some of the buildings, which is a royal pia after the customer has all there stuff in them. Basically had to take all the sheeting off and put new fiber backed insulation in its place. All the while this stuff was blowing all over. Really made me look bad. Company went out of business before we made claims on all the buildings. We now only use fiber backed 3" ins. or foam. Foam on the higher end buildings with hvac. The foil on both sides stuff has never given us any trouble. At the time it had like an 11 r value for summer and only 3 for winter. It is nice though as it can get wet and not get moldy. Like one poster said better than nothing. BTW it does conduct electicity, as I had a short in my shop on one of the wall outlets and it energized the walls.
muchocinco
Posted 5/31/2013 18:38 (#3129883 - in reply to #3129655)

double bubble is better. what kind of chickens broilers,layers,pullets etc . hard to keep em from sweating especially in winter in tunnel ventilated houses
tommyw-5088
Posted 5/31/2013 18:43 (#3129888 - in reply to #3129883)

south Texas , York Rife Freemason
The dead air space would likley add more r value than the foam / bubble its self
Borgman05
Posted 5/31/2013 18:46 (#3129890 - in reply to #3129655)

South Central, Iowa
Use it in the curtains in our hog buildings, and have it and pink board as the insulation in one of the ceilings for an old partial slat building. Seems to work well, like said, the dead air space is really more R value than the stuff is.
SquareG
Posted 5/31/2013 20:49 (#3130118 - in reply to #3129655)

They're supposed to be able to put cellulose in walls these days without it settling, pack it or glue it or something, sounds cheaper and better to me. This building is lined with metal inside and out? Foil needs dead air space to work right, or in a cold building. I'm pretty sure they still use 2" foam in turkey barns "buffalo" people build around here. I'd ask to see a barn like you describe. Never seen one either. I've bought some foil bubble before, inside and out must add up cost. I'd be concerned about moisture trap in the airtight wall. If it's not airtight inside and out it won't have the advertized R value. "Radiant" insulation needs dead air space or heat will be lost to convection.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)