AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

anyone run pex line for airline in shop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

halfbaked
Posted 11/26/2007 10:21 (#245908)
Subject: anyone run pex line for airline in shop

i am looking to update my airline in the shop and have copper now1/2 in. and want to go to a continous loop, and for economics am looking at the pex line. will that take the pressure and what size should a guy run, i am thinking 3/4in. to 1in. i am running 3/4 and 1/2 in. wrenches. any ideas appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ry0972
Posted 11/26/2007 10:45 (#245918 - in reply to #245908)
Subject: RE: Have used rigid plastic

central sask
I used 1/2 " rigid white plastic waterline from home depot schedule 40 i think(the lighter one) . 10ft lenghts, cut to fit with Olfa or ? prime and glue, adapters and fittings for anything you want to plumb in. Price was under 3 bucks/ 10 feet 2 years ago. 1/2 " copper slides inside with lots of clearance so the volume is much higher. Ran 60 feet with a dozen outlets oiler dryer, etc even over overhead door in 2 1/2 hours, 1 guy. NO leaks yet. Am only running 120 PSI. Hutterite colony used schedule 80(the thicker grey stuff) and are running 180 + PSI. I will never use copper or temperary rubber again for how easy and cheap this stuff is. NO SOLDERING ( re: burning the place down!!!!) . Have run 3/4 " impact and sandblaster with no shortage of air.
Ryan

Edited by ry0972 11/26/2007 10:47
BHTN
Posted 11/26/2007 10:51 (#245920 - in reply to #245918)
Subject: You'll find that there is also a potential downside

West Tennessee
to the PVC. When it get's older and brittle there can be "problems". I know lots have used it but I personally would not because I've seen what happens with PVC after it ages so I believe the stories. Not flaming on you or anything just making you aware if you weren't already. I'm sure others will have comments also.
SteveOH
Posted 11/26/2007 10:56 (#245923 - in reply to #245920)
Subject: RE: You'll find that there is also a potential downside

I've seen one that didn't hold and it blew enough of the inside wall and the outside that the break was a lot closer to an explosion than a water leak.
Pofarmer
Posted 11/26/2007 12:17 (#245982 - in reply to #245923)
Subject: Re: anyone run pex line for airline in shop

Yep, been there done that, too. Was in a shop when a PVC airline expoded. That dude was LOUD, and caused quite a bit of damage to the ceiling. If I was gonna do plastic, I would do the drops that are getting tugged on in copper or black pipe.
KelB
Posted 11/26/2007 22:39 (#246442 - in reply to #245920)
Subject: PVC is very Dangerous

Ayr Queensland Australia 4807
I recall somone telling me about it when it fails it cut like glass another mechanic was telling me in his area a farmer used it and it shattered for some reason cutting his farm hands legs very deeply he passed out and nearly bleed to death. I wounder if there is cetain types that can be used for this application
Badger
Posted 11/26/2007 10:57 (#245924 - in reply to #245918)

Huntley Montana
Here OSHA would lock you down & take away your birthday for that with good reason.
I'd call your shop a death trap. Compressed air & most plastic do not work well too long.
paul the original
Posted 11/26/2007 19:37 (#246241 - in reply to #245918)
Subject: RE: Have used rigid plastic

southern MN
This gets real controversial, but PVC likes to turn britlle, and if it fails it blows into many pieces of shrapnel. Not a good thing. Metal pipe will split without the dozens of pieces being hurled all over.

Water in the pipe does not explode the pipe. Air in the pipe will be like a shotgun with plastic shrads.

I'd be nervious with your setup.

--->Paul
Dinga
Posted 11/26/2007 11:02 (#245930 - in reply to #245908)

New Madrid, MO
We have been running 3/4 inch pvc in our shop for 12 years now with very little trouble.
Indianajones
Posted 11/26/2007 11:07 (#245934 - in reply to #245908)
Subject: RE: anyone run pex line for airline in shop

Ran 3/4 pvc with burst strength of 640 psi several years ago and works great. Great to work with also. I tried the 1/2 inch thin wall stuff on another project and did not hold in the cold weather. The other stuff works great no matter the temp and with 175 psi air.
INDY
Mike SE IL
Posted 11/26/2007 12:16 (#245980 - in reply to #245908)
Subject: NO NO NO DO NOT USE PVC FOR AIR LINES

West Union, Illinois

See the OSHA page at http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html

"The Dallas Regional Office has brought to our attention a potential serious hazard existing with the use of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) plastic pipes for transporting compressed gases in above ground installations. An employee in a Texas plant was injured recently by a rupture in a PVC compressed air line. Plastic projectiles from the point of rupture caused lacerations of the employee's hand. This is noteworthy because the Plastic Pipe Institute, in its Recommendation B dated January 19, 1972, recommends against the use of thermoplastic pipe to transport compressed air or other compressed gases in exposed plant piping.

Furthermore, sections 842.32, 842.43 and 849.52(b) of the American National Standards Institute/American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ANSI/ASME) B31.8-1986, Gas Transmission and Distribution Piping Systems Standard, limit the operating pressure of plastic piping distribution systems to 100 pounds per inch (psi) and prohibit the installation of such systems above ground except where ". . . the above ground portion of the plastic service line is completely enclosed in a conduit or casing of sufficient strength to provide protection from external damage and deterioration.""

See the page referenced for more info.

You are saving pennies at the risk of a life. 

Back to the original topic, I don't know about pex.  I don't think it is designed for that much pressure.  There is a flexible line designed for air pressure.

Edited by Mike SE IL 11/26/2007 12:17
farmertim
Posted 11/26/2007 12:44 (#246002 - in reply to #245980)

New Madrid, MO
There's been PVC in my shop since 1978 !!!!!
Newguy
Posted 11/26/2007 13:29 (#246025 - in reply to #246002)

Renville Minnesota

My dad had it (plastic) for years, came home one night to the air compressor running.........Am glad no-one was in it when the line blew.......Ive never seen pvc blow, but Ive seen the tiny peices it creates after it blew, and Ive seen a potato shot out of a pvc air compressor selenoid hookup............ Put the two together and it wouldn't be good.

All Im saying is, I won't come in your shop when your 30 year old pvc lines are pressurized.  No offense.

deereman
Posted 11/26/2007 13:25 (#246023 - in reply to #245980)
Subject: RE: NO NO NO DO NOT USE PVC FOR AIR LINES

NE SD
Not to be negative but if farmers had to follow OSHA laws most of them would either be broke trying to get everthing up to snuff or would just quit. I know the laws are there for a reason and all that but they can always find something bad that happened somewhere to somebody sometime.
Land_Surfer
Posted 11/26/2007 14:15 (#246070 - in reply to #246023)
Subject: RE: NO NO NO DO NOT USE PVC FOR AIR LINES

Just think of all the fingers and limbs saved as a result of OSHA, probably lives too. What's that worth? A fellow farmer and friend, who we always thought to be at the top of his game farming successfully, use to laugh and brag by saying that "the loss of my thumb and index finger are just the costs (assuming he meant toil and labor) of doing business as an American Farmer," like the rules don't always apply to us (farmers). He seemed to take pride in his loss, like a trophy battle wound but without the purple heart. About a month of so later, maybe two, after I remember him telling me all that, his arm was whacked off and chest knocked wide open by an exploding two-piece rim and he never got to enjoy farming again, nor his family, because he died right where he lay, all by himself. A pittyful mess found by his two kids just after the bus dropped them off from school. I bought that C70 from his wife and had all new rims put on and still use it today.

OSHA's there so your kids won't find you in a similar situation.

I hope your insurance agent isn't reading this.

Edited by Land_Surfer 11/26/2007 14:28
Ed Boysun
Posted 11/26/2007 14:53 (#246105 - in reply to #246070)
Subject: Totally agree

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.
I try to pay attention to what happens around me . . . I have yet to see someone lose their farm because they were too careful. Have seen more cases than I want, where a life was lost or a farm sold to meet medical expenses due to injury, or sold because the main man was no longer physically able to work.
Oliver1
Posted 11/26/2007 14:01 (#246056 - in reply to #245980)
Subject: For good reason...

Alton, Ia
This is not some nilly-willy OSHA law just written to hastle people. It has to do with the compressibility of gases vs liquids, and what the material does when it fails. Compressed air will expand to a lot more volume than a compressed liquid like water. This is why the pipe is okay for water lines and not air lines. Then when it does fail, it explodes into shrapnel. It doesn't just pop a leak, and go pffff.

There are numerous documented cases of PVC caused injuries, and this has been debated on AT before. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I have to eat quick and get back outside, but to those posters who feel it won't happen because it hasn't yet, or it's a dumb rule from a bureacrat, you are ignoring a very risky situation, and you've been warned. CHill out and use your head.

Later.
HT67
Posted 11/26/2007 13:25 (#246024 - in reply to #245908)

Virginia
I ran PVC with no problems. HOWEVER, after reading about the problems with it we replaced it with 3/4" black iron. Safety First!
JJS
Posted 11/26/2007 13:35 (#246029 - in reply to #245908)

Southern Lower Michigan
Never used plastic, but pex, I am not sure about. I would check the ( psi rating ).
If it was greater( The GREATER the greater the better) than the psi rating of my compressor. I probly would try it.
Joe
plowboy
Posted 11/26/2007 14:37 (#246090 - in reply to #245908)

Brazilton KS
PVC is just not very smart.

PEX should not fail by shattering catastrophically like PVC, but I also think it will not handle the pressure, unless there is PEX rated for higher pressure and temperature then what we have in our heat system.

You only have to do it once, it's really not that big a deal to just do it right with black iron. Ours was done in less then two days. Probably close to 300' of pipe and at least a dozen taps. We used the pipe we had on hand surplus from various projects, anywhere from 1/2" to 2". The plumbing holds at least 50 gallons.
Gifford
Posted 11/26/2007 14:55 (#246107 - in reply to #246090)

East Kansas, DeSoto
PVC can do all kinds of funny thing. Some of it will cold flow. Some products affect it. It is not all manufactured by the same processor. Play safe and do not use it. Been around the stuff for along time. The one above who pulled it out and replaced I congratulate. Gifford
Ed Boysun
Posted 11/26/2007 14:56 (#246108 - in reply to #246090)

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.
There is a product called FlexAlPex that consists of a Pex layer, a layer of Al, and another layer of Pex. It is rated for gas and what I can find, the pressure is adequate for normal compressed air uses unless it is allowed to get too hot.
candyo1955
Posted 11/26/2007 15:10 (#246112 - in reply to #246108)

Livinston Co. Il.
Check Fastenall , I think they have a pex like tubing and couplers
Dave Cen.Ia
Posted 11/26/2007 15:26 (#246120 - in reply to #246112)

Nevada, Iowa
I seem to recall that there is a special PVC for compressed air that came up during another such discussion here. If anyone feels that they really have to have PVC, I think I would try to go that route.

We all take chances every single day in the ag sector. This is one we don't have to take, we've been warned enough.
Orin
Posted 11/26/2007 15:22 (#246114 - in reply to #246090)
Subject: Re: I'm not so sure about black pipe either

Nusbaum Farms LLC Bellfountain, OR
We bought our shop standing 100 miles away at a mill that closed, and moved it ourselves. It had been there approximately 25 years when we took it down. It had black pipe in it, and when I took the pipe apart, I found areas in a 1" that were restricted to less than 1/2" by internal rust. Maybe they didn't ever drain their tank, I don't know.

After we put the building back up, I put in copper air line.
headerpuncher
Posted 11/26/2007 15:52 (#246126 - in reply to #246114)

Ea. Washington
My soninlaw bought a shop that had pvc !" white instaled for air lines 20 years prior. Shop is 80 ft long and line ran full length. Blew up one night and the whole thing was very sharp shards about 3 ft long and sharp as arrows. Good thing nobody was there. All black iron now and never again pvc.
Bernie nw ON
Posted 11/26/2007 17:17 (#246158 - in reply to #246090)

Thunder Bay, Ontario, Great White North
Just looked at a roll of pex I have in the barn shop. Rated 100 PSI, if you run your air that low I guess it would work. It would not blow into shards of plastic like rigid PVC, it is a flexible plastic, but 100 PSI rating is not much safety factor. I'd use copper or iron if I were you.
yoger
Posted 11/26/2007 17:38 (#246166 - in reply to #246158)

Any one have any comments about using CPVC for air. Any better or are the risks about the same?
thall1976
Posted 11/26/2007 18:34 (#246195 - in reply to #246166)

Field Queen Inc.
Boss man on the old farm I worked on had PVC blow up on him once. Says he still picks little pieces of plastic out of his arm. I am not too sure about Pex.... guess if it could take the pressure it would work better. We are in the process of building a new shop, and after reading this, we wil have nothing but black iron pipe. Never can be too safe.

Regards,
Tyler
Chad H
Posted 11/26/2007 19:31 (#246233 - in reply to #246158)
Subject: Bernie, check the temp on that.

NE SD

Looks to me like that's at 180 degrees F. If you bring the temp down to 73 aquapex should be safe for 160psi. That said, you can buy the 1" Pex:Alum:Pex rated for 200PSI at 73*F for $450 for a 300 foot roll. I'd like to see someone buy 300' of 1" copper pipe for that kind of money.

plowboy
Posted 11/26/2007 20:28 (#246289 - in reply to #246233)
Subject: RE: Bernie, check the temp on that.

Brazilton KS

I do not think you can go with 73 degrees on the air line.  An air line will fail a hydraulic hose in about four years due to heat. 

Also need to consider the oil....not sure where polyethylene stands there. 

gr ecks
Posted 11/27/2007 07:59 (#246663 - in reply to #246289)
Subject: RE: Bernie, check the temp on that.

Maybe I'm not following you, but I have hydr. hose from the compressor to the line around the shop with no problem. It's probably been there for 20 years. It's 25 feet coiled up. I was told that will help with water in the lines. Must work, I don't seem to ever get in water out of them.
moonshine
Posted 11/26/2007 19:16 (#246217 - in reply to #245908)
Subject: HARD COPPER, HARD COPPER.

Idaho
HARD COPPER and the correct solder and flux and a short lesson on solder is the way and the light. Nice copper straps. Equals a first class functional and nice looking installation. Wholesale supply houses may have 20'ers w/ blemishes for less. Brasso for former Marine sil's or mil's to maker shine
Newguy
Posted 11/26/2007 19:44 (#246249 - in reply to #245908)

Renville Minnesota

I dunno halfbake,

Why not go to runnings, buy a bunch of rubber airline hose, clamp it to the wall with quick couplers T'd into wherever you want.

Last I checked the rubber was allot cheaper, and won't sweat like metal.

Just a thought,

Good luck

Skipper
Posted 11/26/2007 19:54 (#246258 - in reply to #245908)

I was in a newly constructed commercial shop the other day and noticed they had PVC(or at least PVC looking,I didn't investigate) air lines and this is a shop that I'm sure needs to meet OSHA requirments. My point is I would check around for OSHA approved PVC if I wanted to go that route. It must be out there or this business is dumber than I think. They've been in business a long time.
agboy
Posted 11/26/2007 20:08 (#246270 - in reply to #246258)

Flandreau, SD

Ya know, now that you say that I think we got PVC air lines in the new shop in Brookings.  I have never realy looked at it, I only worked in it a couple times and only welded when I was there.

In Flandreau we have all iron lines and one line run with plastic truck air line(cause we had it) and because it had to go up and over and around and down and under and up.

I know that ALL our buildings have had walk throughs, so the shop must have passed.

I will have too make a phone call tomorrow.

Orin
Posted 11/26/2007 20:34 (#246296 - in reply to #246258)
Subject: RE: what color was it?

Nusbaum Farms LLC Bellfountain, OR
The OSHA approved stuff is green in color. Way more expensive than the usual white stuff too, I'm told. I believe that it is reccomended that you replace even it after a set number of years due to heat and oil fatigue.
John Burns
Posted 11/26/2007 20:47 (#246309 - in reply to #246258)
Subject: OSHA

Pittsburg, Kansas

I was quite surprised to see a local manufacturer that had PVC air lines run all around their building. I would surely think OSHA visits them periodically. We went with schedule 80 pvc for some safety factor (8 or 10 years ago???). It is quite a bit thicker and rated for higher pressure. I don't know that I would do it again and would not recommend it to anyone else but we have not had any problems. I went to the 1" sched 80 after talking to a number of shops running pvc that used the air a lot more than we do. The one shop did have a failure every couple years but it had always been within a few feet of the air compressor where the air is hot. The PVC would split where the hot air came out of the compressor. PVC looses rated capacity pretty quick as it warms up. That is why I went to the sched 80.

I did ours before all of the posts here on AgTalk and after visiting a lot of places using it. Since then from what I have heard on here I probably would not do it again, but on the other hand I also have no plans on changing it in the near future. Maybe someday. PVC does get brittle with age, especially if exposed to sunlight. We learned this in our turkey barns. First couple years the lines could freeze up when we had no birds in the buildings without much damage. After the pipes got a few years old any freeze at all would bust a bunch of them. Also you can take a new piece of pipe and cut it easily with the standard PVC slicer type cutter. If you have a piece that is several years old it will only shatter it - better use a saw rather than a cutter if an old piece has to be used again.

John

Edited by John Burns 11/26/2007 20:47
Skipper
Posted 11/26/2007 21:12 (#246335 - in reply to #246309)
Subject: RE: OSHA

We've had the schedule 40 in ours for several years. After reading the warnings a few years ago we covered the places people are with a plywood shield. Ours goes up over the ceiling with rubber drops to the work area. Haven't had any problems with ours in about 20 years of service but don't want to either. Our pressure is set at 175 max. We have about 10' of rubber before the pvc but none has ever failed. Probably wouldn't do exposed again but would consider the schedule 80 for covered runs.
plowboy
Posted 11/26/2007 21:16 (#246341 - in reply to #246309)

Brazilton KS

I wonder about putting something u-shaped *like* guttering (but heavier) over your lines for piece of mind in case they eventually fail.  I suppose the problem would be that it's liable to cost more then simply replacing them.

Gifford
Posted 11/26/2007 22:53 (#246463 - in reply to #246341)
Subject: Re: Failure

East Kansas, DeSoto
White pvc is affected by ultra violet light is another consideration on failures. Gifford

Edited by Gifford 11/26/2007 22:54
John Burns
Posted 11/26/2007 23:25 (#246487 - in reply to #246341)

Pittsburg, Kansas

The thought ocoured to me of covering it somehow but like you say, might be easier and just as cheap to just replace it. I'm not fond at all of steel. Putting it in doesn't bother me, it is the moisture/rust factor. Like one other poster on here stated, he observed one that had rusted half way shut. I know on steel water pipes with our well water some fittings can seal virtually shut in 10-15 years with rust. Seems to do it at the junctions the worst. Air would not do it that bad but the rust flakes in air tools I would not like. Dont think it would be any better for lubricant as the water and probably a lot worse. Steel may be the least of evils. Rigid copper sounds good, don't know if it would have corrosion problems.

We have a good size water seperator on the outlet of our tank that we drain regularly and have an auto drain on the tank itself but still get a lot more water in the lines than I like. If we were using only small amounts of air, giving it time to cool in the tank, I think the tank would keep most of it. When we get to blowing a combine off or something that takes tons of air and the hot air gets to the lines, there is where the water starts condensing, as it cools. 

John 

KDD
Posted 11/26/2007 23:51 (#246512 - in reply to #246487)

Leesburg, Ohio
I thought one of the purposes of using steel lines (in addition to safety) was to get the moisture to condense out of the airstream before it gets to the tool being used. That's why all the air compressor companies that have suggested plumbing layouts on their websites say very specifically to use steel (or in one case their own high-priced aluminum) lines, and make sure to slope the lines to a "dirt leg" or dead end trap in the pipe to catch and drain off the moisture and rust/dirt in the system before it gets to the tool. So, condensing moisture on the inside of the pipe is actually desirable.
John Burns
Posted 11/27/2007 00:06 (#246527 - in reply to #246512)

Pittsburg, Kansas

That makes a lot of sense. I am probably putting too much emphasis on rust. Probably not that big of an issue.

John 

plowboy
Posted 11/26/2007 23:51 (#246513 - in reply to #246487)

Brazilton KS

Seems like we always have way more water then it seems like we should.  Compressor is breathing cold air, then blowing into second 80 gallon compressor tank, then into 1 1/4" pipe that goes to 2" before it goes 15' up the wall, with a drain at the bottom,  then 2" for about 40' on the ceiling before the first down, which again has a drain a foot or so below the couplers.   There are several other drains around the shop, and every one of them will have moisture most any time you drain it.

I worry more about the tanks rusting and failing then the pipe.  I would have never worried about tanks at all before learning from people here...now I have a tendancy to dump the tanks if I'm going to be working in the mechanical room where they are located for very long.

John Burns
Posted 11/26/2007 23:57 (#246517 - in reply to #246513)

Pittsburg, Kansas

We have an auto dump on our tank. They work good but ours has worn out (at least seals dont seem to help it) after a few years though. They dump off kind of like an air dryer on a truck, when the pressure rises then falls.

Which reminds me of a thought I once had and lost - why not use a truck style drier? I guess the problem might be needing several of them in parallel  to match a large capacity compressor and a 12 volt source to operate them. Maybe replace the dessicant once a year. They do seem to work good though.

john 

plowboy
Posted 11/27/2007 00:03 (#246524 - in reply to #246517)

Brazilton KS

Our first compressor has an automatic dump valve which dumps a half pint or so every time the compressor starts or stops. The second one (basically a holding tank, it only comes on if the first one can't keep up) has a manual drain valve on it.

The welding company I think we both use supplied us "best" filter setup for the plasma.  It does seem to have helped our consumable problem a lot....unlike the "best" one from the welding supply we used before, or the 'best' one from the air compressor place.   I just told him to get me something which would work....didn't care what it cost if it worked...couldn't stand to keep burning up $50 bills every time the plasma cutter was turned on.

dave morgan
Posted 11/27/2007 12:56 (#246875 - in reply to #246524)

Somerville, Indiana
the tall red air tank at the shop on the hill has 1947 tag on it. vertical tank, you probably don't remember as its been a while. ball valve on the bottom of tank, hose leading to a plastic five gallon bucket with anything handy to hold it there. manually drain when we think about it, get more oil than water but not a certified compressor either. difference is probably compressor is inside heated shop. more heated in summer than winter. compressor in the Morton building is horizontal, valve in center of end of tank with a drip tube leading to the bottom of tank = I had to clean it once, looked at it in amazement. Tank has a slight leak on the bottom = condensate settling there? drip legs at the shop very seldom get anymore than a haze coming out when I purge the 3/4 ball valve. All lines are 3/4 same size, hyd hose comes off the vertical tank high on the side-welded female coupling. Two strikes there, welded on air tank plus using hyd hose to the steel line. compressor shuts off at 200 psi if anyone has used the Gray bumper jacks lately.

OSHA in the black rocks is called MSHA, we get three days of that next week.

We put steel lines in at the shop cause I am hard headed. Glad to see so many others are too. Plastic belongs in car bumpers and fuel tanks.
John Burns
Posted 11/26/2007 23:48 (#246509 - in reply to #245908)
Subject: Whatever you run........

Pittsburg, Kansas

I made the suggestion below in another post to put drops down below the outlets to trap water. Another thing I would have liked to do and thought about it but didn't do it but now wish I had..........that statement ought to make some English teacher just sick.............run the main lines with a slope like you would a concrete floor that you want water to drain off. Then put a ball valve drain at the lowest point. Fortunately our plasma cutter is on the far side of the shop and the air is the driest by the time it gets there but a couple of outlets near the compressor you can literally put an air gun on and see water spew out with the air for a minute or more. I try to get my guys to not use air tools on these outlets. I ran all my main lines flat because that was the easy way to attach them to a siding board that the tin hangs on. I should have made some provision to put it on a slope. I did finally put a BIG ball valve (1" same as line) at the lowest place where the compressor line attaches to the compressor and a valve on the compressor. This way I can shut the compressor tank valve and open the drain valve and the air will reverse flow back out the line and clean a lot of the water out. It helps. We have a 1" water separator on the outlet of the tank that works but it still doesn't get it all. We must have 20 or 30 gallon of capacity in the lines alone because opening that one inch ball valve wide open takes quite a few seconds to empty the line.....better have ear plugs in also. It'll blow a cup or two of water out after a few weeks time.

Air quality makes a big difference on air tool life and ours is not as good as I would like. Water makes a lousy lubricant for impact wrenches.

John

Edited by John Burns 11/26/2007 23:52
Plow79
Posted 11/26/2007 23:54 (#246514 - in reply to #246509)
Subject: RE: Whatever you run........

Chilliwack BC
"Water makes a lousy lubricant for impact wrenches."

Plasma cutters too. Moist air burns through electrodes.
John Burns
Posted 11/27/2007 00:02 (#246521 - in reply to #246514)
Subject: RE: Whatever you run........

Pittsburg, Kansas

Yes we were warned of that when we got ours so we actually have two driers ahead of ours (one toilet roll style then one with replacable desiccant after it) and have had no problems. In fact we rarely have to replace the brown roll in the one or the dessicant in the other. The line to the far side of the shop must be relatively dry. That reminds me, I need to remind the shop guys NOT to plug the plasma into the outlets near the compressor if they take it to that side of the shop - or we will be replacing drier elements.

John

Edited by John Burns 11/27/2007 00:03
chuckster
Posted 11/27/2007 06:13 (#246605 - in reply to #245908)

Where Lewis and Clark finished the rum
the OSHA post seems to indicate that ABS might be acceptable, or did I misread?
dave morgan
Posted 11/27/2007 23:01 (#247399 - in reply to #246605)

Somerville, Indiana
the air line that PVC sells for that purpose is colored green, fittings and all.

there is a shop near here that runs white pvc from his oxy-acetylene bank to outlets in his shop.
Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 11/27/2007 07:08 (#246621 - in reply to #245908)
Subject: RE: anyone run pex line for airline in shop...my guess

Chebanse, IL.....

I believe the PEX I buy @ home-improvement type stores for the purpose of adding runs to our air line in our shop is approved for "gas". I assume they mean like LP or natural...not the liquid kind for our gasoline engines. I believe I recall the rating being 150#.

I also try to think about this a little bit. I assume that whoever gave it that rating to hold a highly flammable gas (LP) inside a house probably used a 100x fudge factor..maybe not that much, but probably a lot. So-I figure that carrying a non-highly-flammable gas like compressed air isn't that big of a deal.

So-after having read here a few yrs ago about all the multitudes of shrapnel explosions from pvc that people had personally suffered (no photos??) I decided PEX might be better. I try to test stuff when I can. So, I took a 1' piece of pex, capped on one end (Pex fittings) & hooked it up to 150# air line & compressed it. Then I put a ball valve on the end & closed it off thereby trapping the air. Then I laid the pex on an anvil & started beating the hell out of it trying to get it to explode. I think I read here that many of the personally encountered pvc explosions (vs the ones guys heard about) happened when someone hit a pressurized pvc line somehow. So-I figured the beating test was important. I beat that pressurized pex 'til it had no body left anymore....but it still held the pressure. I then put it in a vise & kinked it & beat on it some more, trying to get it to rupture @ the kink. I finally got tired of of beating/kinking the thing & called it "safe enough for ME".

I personally recommend only using OSHA recommended products & installation procedures in their private farm shop.

kevin j
Posted 11/27/2007 09:15 (#246705 - in reply to #246621)
Subject: RE: anyone run pex line for airline in shop...my guess

How about industrial nylon tubing with the push in fittings?
Most of the advantages you want, for easy install, but safe and designed for air lines.
1/4 and 3/8 are most common, but half inch is common also.
Do you have an industrial hydr/pnuematics shop, or a truck/trailer air brake repair place, around close?
parker is of course the giant, but many others also.

http://www.parker.com/brassprod/cat/publications/Air%20Brake-3540.p...

I also have seen pvc go, never have that for me. I don't know what pex is, so I maybe way off there.
k
Pofarmer
Posted 11/27/2007 09:47 (#246725 - in reply to #246705)

The last shop I worked at used the industrial nylon for some runs. Only downside was that we didn't have anything over 1/2 ". Some longer runs that needed more flow we used copper. I need to run some airlines in my own shop, and I think I'll check out the Pex a little more.
halfbaked
Posted 11/27/2007 19:10 (#247130 - in reply to #246621)
Subject: dang, ron you should be on myth busters for attempting

that one, but i am glad you did to kind of support the idea of using some good quality high psi pex. like chad stated above also, that pex is heck of a lot cheaper then running copper. lot of great ideas, thanks guys.
Hawken Cougar
Posted 11/27/2007 19:23 (#247146 - in reply to #246621)
Subject: RE: That is an excellent test procedure.....

So. IL

One additional thing that you might want to consider is the fact that many air compressors will discharge a small amount of oil into the compressed air. This oil mist will travel throughout the compressed air lines effectively coating the inside with a small amount of compressor lubricant. Sometimes this small amount of lubricant can cause non-metallic materials to become brittle. Sometimes not.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)