AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looking for info about Milton planters (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

willvr
Posted 1/6/2012 01:00 (#2145791)
Subject: Looking for info about Milton planters (pics)

Bow Island, Alberta
I was looking at a set of Milton planters the other day. These had been used for sugar beets many years ago. I want to use them for some small plots of other crops.

Does anyone have any information about operating them? For example, setting different planting rates, etc?

Thanks.

(Milton0001.jpg)

(Milton0006.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Milton0001.jpg (101KB - 764 downloads)
Attachments Milton0006.jpg (49KB - 726 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
averagejoe
Posted 1/6/2012 01:17 (#2145802 - in reply to #2145791)
Subject: Re: Looking for info about Milton planters (pics)

Minnesota
Still made today, there were many of them in the Red River Valley of Minnesota used for planting sugarbeets.

The Milton web sight should have all the manuals and information you need.

http://www.miltonplanters.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Milton-Pla...

Also under the name StarCo

Edited by averagejoe 1/6/2012 01:19
willvr
Posted 1/6/2012 02:16 (#2145820 - in reply to #2145802)

Bow Island, Alberta
Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. I wonder how old that design is? Not many machines stay the same for so many years!
Lefty11
Posted 1/6/2012 02:14 (#2145819 - in reply to #2145791)
Subject: RE: Looking for info about Milton planters (pics)

Coaldale, Alberta, Canada

I'm sure you know, but Kirchner in Lethbridge is still a dealer I think,

H
willvr
Posted 1/6/2012 02:18 (#2145821 - in reply to #2145819)

Bow Island, Alberta
Thanks Lefty! I had no idea that someone might still be a dealer locally! How recently have people still used these planters?
Lefty11
Posted 1/6/2012 02:21 (#2145823 - in reply to #2145821)

Coaldale, Alberta, Canada

All miltons around here were used in the sugarbeets only. I know of an old six row, 22 inch, shedded possibly for sale if you need one.

Let me know, email is good,

H
ndred
Posted 1/6/2012 09:30 (#2146119 - in reply to #2145823)

s nd
The only thing that drove the seed plate was the disc and depth band on it. Had to be perfect conditions. Closing wheels were straight, so no pinch like the deere. I think I still have the die to make them like the deeres closing wheels. That really helped that planter. You have to take the disc off to change the brass gear to change seeding rates. This is the old ones, now. I beat the vac planter in seed spacing on the test stand, short seed drop. Mine went to montanna, I believe. Good luck
sbfarms
Posted 1/6/2012 09:23 (#2146103 - in reply to #2145791)
Subject: RE: Looking for info about Milton planters (pics)

NW Wyoming
We still use them for sugarbeets. They are an extremely accurate planter under most conditions both depth wise and spacing. The spacing is adjusted by changing the drive gear on the one disk opener that drives the seed plate. The other way to fine tune the spacing is to vary the amount of holes in the seed plate itself. They are very simple and easy to work on. The only drawbacks are that sometimes if you hit big rocks, the yoke for the closing wheels will break and if you plant into corn stalks or alfalfa roots, the trash will jam in the openers and they will drag. Just something to watch. The only other thing is that the hopper is small and has to be refilled often. They have changed the design on the closing wheel yoke and we haven't had any troble with new design yet. The bracket that the spring goes to between the closing wheel yoke in your picture is the old style by the way. They do make a monitor that tells when the seed plate is turning. They are made in Casper, WY by Starco Manufacturing. They are very good to work with if you need different seed plates, etc.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)