AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting rid of my land line- how to Fax?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 11/8/2011 17:31 (#2039734)
Subject: Getting rid of my land line- how to Fax?

Thumb of Michigan
W/O all the gory details, we're planning on going to all cell, all the time. Cell company has been good as far as service, and I very, very seldom get dropped calls due to there end of things screwing up. Tech person is supposed to come out Thurs to install something in our phone lines that means our phones in the office and shop will still ring and we still have the same number as before. All sounds good so far, right? Well, except our dedicated fax line will be going away. And, our multi function printer has scan/fax/copy capabilities. Except we can't upgrade the drivers from the printer to the newer computer we're using to make that work. For some reason.

I don't fax all that often anymore, but I like the convenience of it when we do have to send a fax. Or receive one for that matter. I talked to a techie type guy about how a scanner might work last week- he got mad at my inability to grasp how doing 3 or 4 steps more than I currently have to do with a fax machine now was a better thing. I think faxing is pretty simple, this other stuff via a scanner I'm not so sure about. The other issue is that I'm assuming that I'll spend half the winter fielding calls from legitimate people who want to fax me something and got a message that the number is no good. But I digress-

What exactly is it that I need to go to town and buy to get started here? Do I need just simply a $69.95 stand alone scanner? Is there anyway that I can fool my incoming faxes into somehow sending faxes to my computer instead? Am I ever going to get so frustrated with technology hitting me faster than I can adapt that I just give up and become Amish?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
bwire
Posted 11/8/2011 17:56 (#2039764 - in reply to #2039734)
Subject: Re: Getting rid of my land line- how to Fax?

Rock County, MN
<p>google email to fax</p>
cdustercc
Posted 11/8/2011 21:27 (#2040284 - in reply to #2039734)
Subject: RE: Getting rid of my land line- how to Fax?

Hertford, NC
we use myfax.com and it has been great for us. The only problem is that you can't use your old number, you have to use a toll free number that they will assign to you. The really good part is that you can save the faxes in your email and keep them forever if you would like. Makes it nice if you need to reference an old fax.
tomram486
Posted 11/8/2011 21:53 (#2040364 - in reply to #2040284)

Use email. Scan in the paper and then email using gmail, yahoo, etc. Most companies will email the information to you. All you have to do is ask them to email the information to you. Yes that is a good way to keep information in case you lose the paper or a fire etc. I have used myfax when they were a new company. A good way to get faxes and to keep the information as a pdf. Fax machines are to expensive and of such low quality that anything is better than a fax.

JohnW
Posted 11/9/2011 02:52 (#2040750 - in reply to #2039734)
Subject: E Fax

NW Washington
Use the internet for your fax. Here is one and there are others. http://www.efax.com/Free-Trial?VID=33675&gclid=CP7m8-SIqawCFUcaQgod...
Rob Huber
Posted 11/9/2011 09:14 (#2041034 - in reply to #2039734)

Mount Forest, Ontario Canada

We use this service when we need to fax.
http://faxzero.com/

Has both free and paid services.

ncook
Posted 11/9/2011 13:28 (#2041448 - in reply to #2039734)

Clinton County, Michigan
My Dad is using http://nextivafax.com/ for his business. They give you a fax number (sometimes you might be able to port your old land line #). When someone sends a fax to that you get an email with a pdf attachment. When you want to send a fax you use a scanner and then attach the file to an email and send to the recipients fax number like [email protected]
Haven't looked in to myfax or efax but nextiva says they are cheaper (500 page plan).

Edit: It says they can hook up to an old fax machine. Haven't tried it myself, but this may solve some of your "simplicity" questions.

Edited by ncook 11/9/2011 13:30
Posted 11/9/2011 21:58 (#2042410 - in reply to #2039734)

I was/am in the same situation as you. Trust me: you're really, really gonna miss the simplicity of your fax machine. Have NOT found anything satisfactory yet.
Maxx Catt
Posted 11/9/2011 23:22 (#2042717 - in reply to #2042410)

Great Lakes State
Have you tried getting a Magic Jack and using your fax on that?
Their website says that fax will work with it.

Edited by Maxx Catt 11/9/2011 23:28
dave morgan
Posted 11/10/2011 14:18 (#2043607 - in reply to #2042410)

Somerville, Indiana
scan and email works better for me and more sensable to run...When I get a new copier, printer, scanner, in one 90 dollar machine, I call the trouble person and get it set to the most simple way to use it...Works great-only took me 10 years to figure it out.
beh
Posted 11/12/2011 04:33 (#2046238 - in reply to #2043607)

Heil Harvesting, Ulysses KS/Limon CO
Problem is, some entities and government agencies still require fax...
tomram486
Posted 11/10/2011 21:11 (#2044231 - in reply to #2042410)

The cartridge for the fax machine at work costs $170. I asked the IT guy why so expensive because the cartridge for the HP 3-in-1 only costs $70. He said that anyone that uses a fax machine is a captured audience. We have two fax machines and the fax machine by my office never gets used except for faxes from companies that want to give us all of these good deals on Bahama vacations and to send money for lost millions. IMO it is easier to scan in the document and email it to the person. For me, I ask for everything to be emailed to me. I do not give the person an option to fax something to me. Faxing pictures is not a pretty thing to see at 200 dpi and B&W.

On my droid tablet there is an app that can take a picture of a document and then email the document off to someone.

What is funny that even one of the cranky old 30 year office veterans is asking for people to email him documents. IMO faxes should be outlawed. LOL

pat-michigan
Posted 11/19/2011 08:45 (#2056877 - in reply to #2039734)

Thumb of Michigan
Well, I'm scanning. I haven't yet became Amish- nor do I even play one on TV. I set up a scanner yesterday that had the right price tag attached- my sister in law gave it to me for free. After an hour of calling all the hardware names that would make a sailor blush, I sent some scanned e-mail documents. I've not had any calls from legitimate people wanting to send faxes, so I don't know if there's any fallout there yet. Theres absolutely no way that scanning is as easy or efficient as a fax machine, but I guess I'm adapting.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I appreciate it.
Pofarmer
Posted 11/19/2011 09:47 (#2056984 - in reply to #2056877)

Pat

I don't know what scanner you have. I have a fairly new Epson flatbed scanner. You turn it on. There are 3 buttons for copy, scan to PDF, or scan to Email. You pick the little email button, it pops up on the screen in an email, and you choose the address. I don't consider that too tough, although my wife won't do it.
pat-michigan
Posted 11/19/2011 10:19 (#2057024 - in reply to #2056984)

Thumb of Michigan
Its a hp C4740. It may very well have the option you describe, but I don't see it. I guess I could read the book, but that's really out of character for me. I scanned the way my SIL told me she did it- scan it as a pdf, name it,put it in a file, attach the file to the email. Maybe there's a different way.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)