AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone here have a powered parachute?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JDpuller
Posted 1/16/2011 15:35 (#1552728)
Subject: Anyone here have a powered parachute?

WC Iowa
Been looking at getting a powered parachute for checking the crops during the summer. Anyone have any comments?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Smoothlander
Posted 1/16/2011 15:37 (#1552732 - in reply to #1552728)
Subject: RE: Anyone here have a powered parachute?

There was one for sale on here not long ago.
Big Ben
Posted 1/16/2011 15:49 (#1552746 - in reply to #1552728)

Columbia Basin, Ephrata, WA
Some of our closest neighbors here either have or had one. I have not seen it for a while. Sometimes I think I'd like to have one for irrigation checking, but another neighbor, Bob Holloway, held a record for flight distance in one until an event in 2008. That dampened the enthusiasm for powered parachutes around here.

Edited by Ben in the Basin 1/16/2011 16:01
JLynn
Posted 1/16/2011 15:53 (#1552754 - in reply to #1552728)

NW VA

Excellent for that application and very easy to fly.  The downside is they don't like much wind at all.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Edited by JLynn 1/16/2011 15:57
greygoose
Posted 1/16/2011 16:04 (#1552779 - in reply to #1552754)
Subject: Re: Anyone here have a powered parachute?

south datota
Watch out for the powerlines!!!!!
Jon Hagen
Posted 1/16/2011 16:12 (#1552796 - in reply to #1552728)

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Our non farmer neighbor has one that he uses for recreation.
He carries his digital camera while up there.
He flew over our farm, took pictures and E mailed them to me that night.

(Hagen farm from powered parachute(Stober).jpg)

(Hagen farm from parachute 2 Stober.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Hagen farm from powered parachute(Stober).jpg (71KB - 158 downloads)
Attachments Hagen farm from parachute 2 Stober.jpg (73KB - 151 downloads)
cornholio
Posted 1/16/2011 16:20 (#1552810 - in reply to #1552728)

I used to fly airplanes and a while back I thought one of these might be a pretty fun thing to have. After doing a little research I decided base jumping was safer.
JLynn
Posted 1/16/2011 16:29 (#1552826 - in reply to #1552810)

NW VA

For ultralight flying these are about as safe as you can get imho.  Problem is it's too easy for people with little or no common sense to get into the cockpit and go.  Just poke around a little on youtube...

Local accidents that I'm aware of were results of FUI, taking someone up on a bet that they couldn't take off on a small lot, and looking at the "kneeboard" instead of where they were going on takeoff.

Edited by JLynn 1/16/2011 16:35
earp
Posted 1/16/2011 16:37 (#1552839 - in reply to #1552826)

Manila, Ar
i'll check my irrigation the old fashion way............pickup truck
wkeithl
Posted 1/16/2011 16:41 (#1552846 - in reply to #1552810)

SE Wyo
My son and I did a lot of looking last summer and found one with only 4 hours flight time and a great sounding story. I purchased it and sent certified check. My son happened to call a flight school down by Denver to inquire about lessons..The instructor said to make sure it had current air worthiness certificate, and that if didn't that we had a "boat anchor". I called the seller immediately and he said yes it is current. I suggested that maybe he should go look, and he found that it wasn't. He had let it expire. After much haggling he did refund part of the price. He claimed he was unaware, but if you do some searching you will find that a law was passed making it impossible to renew after 1/31/10 if they had expired. We wanted it to use to encourage antelope and deer to keep out of our sunflowers. We have hundreds of antelope and 30-40 deer that make a short crop quickly.
I would advise checking things out as there are hundred of powered parachutes that are boat anchors and owners trying to find the unsuspecting buyer.
farming247
Posted 1/16/2011 16:49 (#1552866 - in reply to #1552846)

western mn
u want help getting rid of those deer and antelope?? i am seriously looking for a hunting trip that wouldnt interfere with harvest
1466driver
Posted 1/16/2011 17:24 (#1552930 - in reply to #1552866)

Interstate 35 North ia
Im a little curious also on insurance cost for one of these and is flight school a good ideal or are they real simple to figure out. what have you guys done befor your first flight
mennoboy
Posted 1/16/2011 21:58 (#1553531 - in reply to #1552930)

Rivers, MB
my dad took about few hours of instruction and a few hours of learning to fly and then wrote his test and got his license. All in under a day!
wkeithl
Posted 1/17/2011 10:30 (#1554187 - in reply to #1552866)

SE Wyo
SE Wyoming. Have land in two hunt areas. Would have to look closer but antelope area 35 and deer area 57 are at the home place. Really think the non resident licenses are high but think you would have to apply pretty soon if interested. Check with Game and Fish on season dates. I know last year you could get 3 or 4 antelope if you had the right licenses. It didn't make a dent in the herd however.
tornado2
Posted 1/16/2011 17:21 (#1552924 - in reply to #1552728)

Kansas
My brother had one for a couple years. It was great to check crops, cattle and the neighbors daughter out sun bathing. As far as safety, its up to the operator. If your safety concious, you'll do fine. If your like my brother and think the gas pedal in your car is an on/off switch, you can picture the outcome. If you run out of gas or have engine problems, you still have your parachute.
mennoboy
Posted 1/16/2011 17:35 (#1552955 - in reply to #1552728)

Rivers, MB
my dad has one. It was the "cheap" way to get into flying. He claims its completely safe. I would disagree but probably safier than an ultralight plane. The big downfall to them is wind/air conditions. You can't fly them in much wind at all. And if the air is very unstable (hot and humid), they are not very safe to fly. Saw one crash this summer in very hot and humid conditions.

So if you are very safety conscious, they are a GREAT way to scout crops. nice and slow (i think top air speed is 35 mph) and get really low. You don't need much space to take off and land. My dad has found though that taking off on gravel is not good for the prop so my dad trailers to the local airstrip to take off and then lands on our yard.

Pretty low maintenance and don't use much fuel.

I have found it helpful to have him scout wheat fields just before harvest looking for thistle patches or grass spots. Would be nice to get 2 way radio communication between the sprayer and the powered parachute for when spraying weed spots.

Any other questions?
billybob77
Posted 1/16/2011 17:45 (#1552976 - in reply to #1552728)

Southern MB
I have always liked the idea of having one of those to toot around the countryside in. However I think I would get one that swaps out the parachute for what basically is a hang gliding wing. Like others have said the parachute is no good in wind and with this other type of wing you can go in some wind plus you can buy different wings for what speed you would like to fly at.
http://www.altitude.ca/index.php?Ultralighting
rowcropper
Posted 1/16/2011 18:35 (#1553072 - in reply to #1552728)

SC
You can get an ultralite that flies like a real plane and would be a lot safer than a powered parachute. I had a "Phantom" about 25 years ago and it was designed for + or - 6g's. If you lose the motor it glides and steers like a real plane. I think I had a 600' runway and it would take off in about 300'. Needed a little more for landing and roll out.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)