AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sanborn, coleman, Magna Force air compressors OK?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

OMC260
Posted 3/1/2007 10:01 (#112944)
Subject: Sanborn, coleman, Magna Force air compressors OK?

Sioux Center, Iowa
Looking at 80gal vertical two stage to run a dairy parlor. It'll be a fairly light load for this sized unit. Just wondering if there are any "weak spots" in on this brand. Looks like the heads are aluminum. They're priced around $800 . All above mentioned names come from the same plant.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
boog
Posted 3/1/2007 11:25 (#113003 - in reply to #112944)
Subject: Re: Sanborn, coleman, Magna Force air compressors OK?

I never was impressed with the Sanborn or Coleman compressors & haven't seen a Magna Force but if it's made like the other two I would be hesitant of it as well.

You say "light duty" Do you mean it will only be on part of the time or just used for light duty work? IMO, if you're wanting an ac that will be plugged in all the time you will want something well built as you'll be surprised how much it will run even when not in use and I don't see much difference in wear in one that runs to replenish itself whether just from sitting or from use.

My last AC I bought for the shop was a "Bel-Aire" made by ABAC. These acs may be in a higher price range than you want to pay but they are built for long life. One feature is that all the internal components are made from stainless steel to provide maximum wear and the model I purchased has safety features that most acs don't.

So far it has been plugged in for four years with no problems. Sits in the cold side of our shop/shed. Only mainteience has been to drain the water a couple times a year. Also has plenty of cfm for most jobs. 23 cfm @175 psi & 27 cfm @ 100 psi. JMO

Edited by boog 3/1/2007 11:33
Ranger Ted
Posted 3/1/2007 11:27 (#113004 - in reply to #112944)
Subject: RE: Sanborn, coleman, Magna Force air compressors OK?

Montpelier Indiana

These are "cheap" compressors in my way of thinking. Stay away from aluminum heads. The RPM of the motors on these will run at 3450. A good compressor will have a good motor that runs at 1750 RPM, a lot less noise and the unit will last a lot longer. Spend more $ and get something that will last longer.

Here is a link to a place on the Ohio/Indiana border that makes good units. I know this is a long ways from Iowa, but check this out.

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/page/page/504413.htm

Duane NC OH
Posted 3/1/2007 18:48 (#113244 - in reply to #113004)

Republic OH (NC OH)
i agree as i just bought one from eaton compressor.
after looking at many compressors i felt this one was
the best one for the money.

good luck!

jedeka
Posted 3/1/2007 11:45 (#113021 - in reply to #112944)
Subject: Re: Sanborn, coleman, Magna Force air compressors OK?

Boone, Iowa
I searched all around for an air compressor for our shop and ended up buying an Ingersoll Rand. If you use it a lot, you can buy an extended warranty. I bought the upgraded compressor that has an intercooler, low oil shut off and valve at bottom that blows the water out from the bottom of the tank that is on a timer.
dar1
Posted 3/1/2007 12:23 (#113049 - in reply to #112944)

central michigan
We bought a Sanborn years ago and have had no trouble ,but it was an 80 gal cast iron pump Heavy duty unit.We got it at Quality Farm and Fleet 15years ago it was 1200.00 but its a very heavy unit
John Burns
Posted 3/1/2007 19:49 (#113283 - in reply to #112944)
Subject: One thing about cheap compressors

Pittsburg, Kansas

One very weak spot in the larger cheaper compressors is that they use motor contact points that are built into the air pressure switch like smaller compressors (very undersized for the load). The "good" compressors will have a seperate pressure switch that in turn controlls a regular motor starter contactor, which is much more heavy duty. We went through three pressure switches on our Coleman Black Max 80 gallon compressor before getting tired of it and installed a contactor. The bad thing is when the switch goes bad a lot of times the contacts weld together and the compressor runs till the high pressure pop off blows then sets there and runs all day or night till someone comes around and notices a problem - compressor just cooks.

We have ran our "cheap" sams club compressor pretty hard in a 60x80' shop that gets used by several people and It has been pretty good for the 8 or more years we have had it. It is an aluminum compressor with aluminum head. Besides the pressure switch thing we burnt out one motor, which was not very expensive to replace (I think around a hundred dollars). At the time a "good" compressor would have been about 50% more in cost than this sams club unit.

You kind of get what you pay for. Buy a better quality one and likely you will not be sorry you did but on the other hand I would say we have got our moneys worth out of our "cheap" one and it is still going strong. Like one poster says, it will likely get a lot more use than you imagine. If when I bought this one I could have imagined it would run a fourth what it has I would have bought a better quality one. As it worked out, the purchase has been ok though.

John 

Edited by John Burns 3/1/2007 19:51
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)