AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Evaporating gas from bulk tank - how much?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Lester in OHio
Posted 4/12/2006 21:46 (#4777)
Subject: Evaporating gas from bulk tank - how much?

Been wondering this for years...when I fill up my 300 gallon fuel tank with gas....how much do I lose in the summer from evaporation? It will take me 4 months to use 300 gallons. It has a 2-3 inch opening where it is filled and a cap goes over that, also has an electric pump. I wonder about the gas left in the hose...it is a 12 foot hose. Is it worth it for me to fill it or just go to town for gas now and then?

Thanks, in advance!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
JohnW
Posted 4/13/2006 01:31 (#4848 - in reply to #4777)
Subject: Re: Evaporating gas from bulk tank - how much?

NW Washington
If you have the right vent on the tank the evaporative loses should be minimal. You should have a vent on the tank that only lets air in as fuel is drawn out of the tank. I suspect that is the only kind that is approved by the EPA these days. If the vent is open to the atomsphere you are right, you will lose gasoline. It is a good idea to keep it out of the sun too. Here is a link to a tank vent. If things stay as they are now everytime you buy fuel in town it is going to cost more than it did the last time.
http://www.jmesales.com/catalog/index.cfm?iid=18031&cid=1121&sid=JM...
Illinois John
Posted 4/13/2006 09:24 (#4917 - in reply to #4777)
Subject: I gotta ask why?

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

I do keep a 100 gallon tank around for the lawnmowers, we mow a lot, and handling small cans got too annoying.  I might understand your filling 300 gallons, as I can often catch a low price, drive to the station with my transfer tank in the pickup, and fill up.  But, delivered to the farm is, for me anyway, the most expensive way to buy gas.  Station price here locally is much cheaper than delivery, but years ago that was not the case.  We used to keep fuel on the farm for cars after we sold our last gasoline tractor, but it was because we were afraid we would come home empty and not have enough to get to a station. 

Maybe you are good enough filling up your tank when prices are low?  Is that the reason?

We sometimes fill the car from the lawnmower gas, if prices are much higher, most of the time we can then fill up the transfer tanks at a lower price when it goes down.  However, we fill the car at a station almost all the time, due to the price being usually less, and let them take a chance for water in the fuel or evaporation.

So, if I might ask, is that why you keep your 300 gallon tank full?

Franz
Posted 4/13/2006 12:09 (#4944 - in reply to #4917)
Subject: RE: I gotta ask why?

Stocking more gas than you can burn in 45 days is a mistake in today's world, and evaporation is just one of the problems.
Current gasoline is compounded at the refinery to have a storage life of about 60 days, before it morphs into some strange combinations of a Gilbert Chemistry Set. Adding stabilizers can extend the life to about 90 days maximum. Gas will stratify in the tank over time, and the lighter components of the compound will evaporate off.
In the case of alcohol compounded gas, the alcohol will absorb water from the atmousphere in an openly vented tank.
Even a sealed tank won't maintain the current gas for a 4 month period.
West Ks
Posted 4/14/2006 01:07 (#5086 - in reply to #4944)
Subject: RE: I gotta ask why?

Hmmm. Ive had gas in my above ground tank since last Oct. I havent noticed any problems with it. I haven't put any stabilizer in it either. I kinda think that it depends on the region and or refinery as to how long the gas lasts. It is possible the CO-OP puts some stabilizer in before they deliver but I kinda doubt it. We've done this quite often where we have gas in the tank for 6 mnths to a year and have never had a problem in the last 15 or so years.
Tom Russell
Posted 4/14/2006 06:09 (#5103 - in reply to #4944)
Subject: Re: Evaporating gas from bulk tank - how much?

McLeod County Minnesota
Those of us who have old collector cars are well aware of the problems associated with using old gasoline. We have found it is better to drain old gasoline than to use it and plug carburetors, fuel pumps, and fuel filters. Once it stratifies, the only viable solution is to drain it on the driveway. Blending it with good fuel only increases the amount of bad fuel.

Years ago we could keep old gas in tanks for several years and it worked just fine. We wouldn’t dare do that today.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)