AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fuel Transfer Tanks for Pickups
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

NWOHyoungfarmer
Posted 4/12/2009 20:39 (#678158)
Subject: Fuel Transfer Tanks for Pickups

Northwest Ohio
I would like to add a fuel transfer trank to my truck before spring planting.  I am looking at a L shaped tanks that way I can keep my toolbox.  I was wondering if anyone had any pics of there tanks and had any neat ideas with storing the hose when not in use.  Any help I would appreciate it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
trakman
Posted 4/12/2009 21:07 (#678189 - in reply to #678158)
Subject: Re: Fuel Transfer Tanks for Pickups

Central Kansas
My tank was custom built.....L-shaped(130gallon) and what I did for the nozzel was mount a short piece of plastic pipe on the side of the tank at a 45 degree angle so that the nozzel just "sits" in the pipe. Even went as far as to put a small hose barb at the bottom of the pipe and then ran a small piece of hose through the bed floor and secured it to the pick-up frame and that way, the "dribble" from the nozzel just drained on the ground.

Sorry, no pictures
browning1
Posted 4/12/2009 21:10 (#678193 - in reply to #678158)
Subject: RE: Fuel Transfer Tanks for Pickups

Hertford,NC
Alot of the farmers around here use the L-shaped 100gal tank the slide underneath the toolbox. I have a new in the box12v 15gpm fil-rite pump for sale if you need one for the tank.
swne
Posted 4/12/2009 21:11 (#678197 - in reply to #678158)

Cambridge, southwestern Nebraska
No neat ideas on the hose but, (and maybe your doing this already), I wired mine direct to the battery with a fuse on the positive wire. I used to have to open the hood and clip the wires on the battery. And I see a lot of other guys do the same thing. I sure like doing it this way.
magnumdave1
Posted 4/12/2009 21:25 (#678214 - in reply to #678197)

southwestern ontario , canada
Leave 3 or 4 inches inbetween your toolbox and the upper part of the tank and all the exra hose and nozzle will lay in there quite easily. Also, place the fuel tank on top of a couple of 2 x 6 on the edge of the tank. this will give you a spot to slide in some long items that would otherwise be hanging over the tailgate. and use the power source in the trailering lights plug ( fuel wont disappear) - wire it so you have to turn on your tail lights to get power to the fuel pump. good luck.
rlbsek
Posted 4/12/2009 21:26 (#678219 - in reply to #678197)

Chanute, KS.
if you want to make it easier to take out buy a #12 electric cord cut and put female end on pickup male end on pump.
swne
Posted 4/12/2009 22:52 (#678355 - in reply to #678219)

Cambridge, southwestern Nebraska
I've seen that done, too. Good idea. Never had a theft problem but I guess the way I have mine set up now exposes me to that.
Brad J
Posted 4/13/2009 00:05 (#678433 - in reply to #678158)

Tangent, OR
So I dont have a good picture of what I do aside from this...

I use a flush face no-leak coupling to remove my hose from my diesel tank. I store the hose in my toolbox. Pump switch is padlocked, and pump itself is powered via a engine key-operated relay, wiring is concealed as much as possible and armored. Short story is that if someone wants that diesel they're going to take it, but I sure like the coupling so I can take the hose off. It will keep the lazy theives away. I've been using a rubber stopper like you'd put on the bottom of a cane and I need to find something better to plug the business end of the pump handle pipe. The system is straightforward, but if you have something you want to transport that fits in the toolbox, that you want to not smell like diesel yet stay dry, you need to improve on the system. Let me know if you do. I'll take more pics if you're interested.

http://www.tuthill.com/admin/Documents/downloadFile.cfm?filename=up...

This isnt the exact coupling that I have but it is close. Mine isnt stainless. Plan on $110 for it. My off-farm job has me parking in places that mandate alot of security. This is the cleanest way i've found / seen and many people have copied it.

Edited by Brad J 4/13/2009 00:16

(diesel.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments diesel.JPG (116KB - 258 downloads)
sfi
Posted 4/13/2009 00:15 (#678444 - in reply to #678433)

Oregon
We wired ours with a ford starter relay under the hood and put a switch inside the passenger side door (the hose is on this side, that way you can pull up close to the machine needing fuel so the hose will reach and still be able to get out of the rig easily) in the rear corner of the cab out of the way but easy to reach. Took the handle off the switch on the pump (it's in the "on" position) To start the pump open the door and hit the switch. No fuel theft when the cab is locked.
MKing
Posted 4/13/2009 06:49 (#678505 - in reply to #678444)

NW IN
We've got 2 pickups set up with thanks. One is an L tank with a side to side tool box. We have the pump wired direct to the battery with a plug together conection under the hood. We also placed a 2x4 on edge in front of the tank. that leaves enough room for the hose to be tucked in.
The other is a 80 gal. tank I made that sites in the bed of the truck with a tool box welded to the top. that truck we travel more with so I have a hard fold up cover over the bed and tank/tool box. This setup I installed a suction tube so I can install a small fuel pump to transfer fuel to the pickup tank while traveling. I also place tie down hooks on all 4 corners. I have the front 2 tied to the hooks in the bed and the back can be used for tieing in a 4 wheeler.
Wallace
Posted 4/13/2009 20:07 (#679169 - in reply to #678219)

North Central Missouri
Second that, I did the same thing and it works great.
Sammy65
Posted 4/13/2009 23:24 (#679539 - in reply to #678219)

Galahad, Alberta, Canada
I also use 110V plugs on my power wire, and then I made a light stand with a seal-beam on it for in the field at night; just plug it in with an extension cord for an extra work light
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)