AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Disk vs field cultivator question.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ihmanky
Posted 4/7/2018 13:01 (#6693861)
Subject: Disk vs field cultivator question.

KY
Haven’t seen a FC in use around here since I was a kid, and wasn’t old enough then to pay any attention to how it finished. I do remember it being an IH wing fold, probably around 25-27 feet or so I’d guess. If someone had run a chisel the previous fall over bean stubble, and ran a pass with the disk over it pre-plant, would the disk do better on the second pass or does a field cultivator do a better job as a final pass? I know there’s other things that will finish better, just thinking back and debating on these two. Growing up, it was chisel, pass with the disk, spread dry fert, then disk shallow and plant. On the few conventional acres I still do, I usually rip 1/2 every year or so in the fall if I can get to it before it gets wet. But disk it all twice prior to planting either way. How wide a fc could someone pull with 150 pto horse tractor.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Brahamfireman
Posted 4/7/2018 13:13 (#6693877 - in reply to #6693861)
Subject: RE: Disk vs field cultivator question.

Braham MN.
Chisel, disc, plant is our routine. This year if time allows we will roll the bean ground before planting, trying for a smoother seed bed to maximise uniform seed depth.

Although I am buying a 24' FC to try out this year. Faster and bigger then the disc.
ihmanky
Posted 4/7/2018 13:20 (#6693889 - in reply to #6693877)

KY
I have run an single wing fold cultipacker ahead of the planter for beans, not as good as a heavy roller but breaks up some of the clods if I work the ground a little too wet.
boog
Posted 4/7/2018 13:35 (#6693912 - in reply to #6693861)

Normally the only time you see a disc in the field in this area is in the fall, working corn stalks. Most spring soil repe is done with a soil finisher or a field cultivator.
paul the original
Posted 4/7/2018 13:46 (#6693934 - in reply to #6693861)

southern MN
Field cultivator works well on high clay, wet soils.

Disk works on loamy or Sandy soils.

Everyone has a disk in the grove for the few times you need one, but you never see them used much at all 'here'. A disk really creates a lot of compaction, clods, and tough ground when we need to be working the ground. A tool of last choice in this clay stuff. If you use a disk, hopefully something in fall. If used in spring, got to pick a dry time.

Pass with a plow or chisel plow or ripper in fall, pass with a field cultivator in spring, and plant. Only a few still make two passes in spring. The fertilizer rigs go over chiseled ground, they are less happy with plowed or rough ripped ground.

Paul

Edited by paul the original 4/7/2018 13:49
Posted 4/7/2018 13:48 (#6693937 - in reply to #6693912)

S.E. South Dakota
Here a disc is used in the spring if there is to much trash to go threw a field cultvator. Last spring I pulled my field cuiltvator threw 80 acres standing irragatied stalks worked whay better then disc would.
oldbones
Posted 4/7/2018 15:50 (#6694120 - in reply to #6693861)

Floyd County, Iowa
I have both, a disk and a field cultivator. I only use the field cultivator in the spring.
Haven't used the disk in years, and never in spring. Too much compaction in spring, IMO. Only in fall to size stalks, but don't have that problem since I bought a disk ripper.
boog
Posted 4/7/2018 17:56 (#6694343 - in reply to #6694120)

We run a disc ripper on most of our stslks in the fall but will run a disc ahead of the disc ripper where we're going back to corn.
AGB
Posted 4/7/2018 18:46 (#6694433 - in reply to #6693861)

Mid-Michigan
In my area it's rare to see a disc in the spring. I am discing some fall plowed crop sod but that's it. Funny how things can be so different a few states away.

Edited by AGB 4/7/2018 18:46
Tomcat
Posted 4/7/2018 19:55 (#6694562 - in reply to #6693861)

Ludington/Manistee MI area
I only know one person who runs a disc as the last pass. IMO disc is necessary evil to cut stalks in the spring since not all of us get all our fall tillage done. Here we have a tractor on the disc and one on the finisher the tractor on the disc occasionally hooks to the soil saver.
deereonly1
Posted 4/7/2018 22:24 (#6694934 - in reply to #6694562)

EC IL
A field cultivator will level ground much better than a disk. A soil finisher is kind of the best of both worlds in the spring, but they pull hard.
hd6gtom
Posted 4/7/2018 23:10 (#6694998 - in reply to #6694934)

I just got done, disk twice then ran the field cultivator to level it up. Works great.
WR460
Posted 4/8/2018 10:39 (#6695693 - in reply to #6693861)

On our tough dirt in Southeastern Illinois, a field cultivator would just roll clods around. Most guys in our area seem to use a Turbo of some sort (usually Case IH) or a disk as last pass. a few use soil finishers. Field cultivators work good in our good dirt.
350 Farmalll
Posted 4/8/2018 18:56 (#6696963 - in reply to #6695693)

Riceville, IA
Field cutlivator used most often for spring tillage ahead of planter in our part of the world. Levels better than disk and is less maintenance, bearings and broken disc blades. Had a 1086 that pulled 145 hp at the dyno and pulled a 24 foot IH cultivator with a five bar spike tooth harrow behind it for leveling. Was a good match.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)