AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best chisel plow
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jdironman
Posted 11/6/2017 18:36 (#6349714)
Subject: Best chisel plow

Nw Iowa
We have a John Deere 2410 chisel plow with the wheels up front and it is nice plow but we primary use it to work hog manure after drag hose. We work at a pretty stiff angle to the way drag hose went to try and level field back out and help even up manure. We are usually doing it about now as we like to leave sit as long as we can. Trouble is a lot of times it is like tonight with a slight freeze and those front wheels don't ride very good over all those tracks. What is a good 26-30 chisel plow without front caster wheels? Or do wings snowplow without them? We have 12" spaced shanks but I think 15 or 16" would be okay. I do like deeres tru depth standards.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TMX864
Posted 11/6/2017 18:48 (#6349737 - in reply to #6349714)
Subject: RE: Best chisel plow

Michigan
Landoll 2130 or 2131. Might be more plow then you are looking for. If it gets real sloppy the middle transport wheels will start to sink/push. They are heavy and the shanks will stay in the ground to whatever depth you set it to run.
hellosugar
Posted 11/6/2017 20:50 (#6350006 - in reply to #6349714)

rrv, nd
I have a 5800 and a 5850 caseih. I'm looking to update next year, and was wondering same question. We had 25 acres left this fall, and stretched the 5850 six inches in the hitch. To cold to fix this fall, so next summer we will fix it up. Was leaning towards JD. or Summers.
BryceH
Posted 11/6/2017 21:04 (#6350039 - in reply to #6349714)

Nunn CO
Flexicoil ST820. Case makes the same plow under the PTX 600 model and New Holland makes it under the ST830 model. All three are the same plow.
senodak
Posted 11/6/2017 21:13 (#6350062 - in reply to #6349714)

Interested to see where this goes. Seems like the Deere 2410's go for a lot more than the PTX 600's on auction but that doesn't really mean anything. Green paint makes everything sell.

I have been looking for a while as well. Getting by fine with a 5800 45' Case IH but it seems like our carriage bolts holding the shanks on are fatigued, We break a handful every fall and have been replacing them gradually when it happens. Only annoying when the shank falls off and you don't know where it is. And we've had one shank assembly break and the thin spot on the spring holder, welded it up and built it up but it broke again because it is kind of small area. And believe it or not the stinkin' part is over $1000 of course, just for part of shank assembly. Could buy and old one at auction and have $90,000 worth of parts desk value in shanks alone!
Perth
Posted 11/6/2017 22:13 (#6350163 - in reply to #6349714)

N.C. ND
I’ll start when we traded the JD610s for, CIH 5850s,for summers,then to NH 830s,now to JD2410s.like anything if you could mix them all together you’d have one hell of a cultivator ..
5850-poor trash Clarence, and weak frame
Summers-great shanks,poor flotation, a lot of hyd.cyl. Phasing problems
NH- weak frames,good shanks,too many linkages to wear,many small problems not changed in 20 years.
JD 2410s- we like accudepth,good steel in frames,need to do shank maintenance,but overall very happy with the wear, and especially like the field finish, we also like the narrow transport width on the roads we have that’s nice. We have 3 and JD has been good about updates and parts availability.

All have been 54ft. Since the Summers
Joey_swtexas
Posted 11/6/2017 22:24 (#6350169 - in reply to #6349714)

My next chisel plow will be the new sunflower (wilrich). They hook direct and have a stout frame and shanks.
havin'funfarming
Posted 11/7/2017 06:43 (#6350390 - in reply to #6350163)

Manitoba, Canada
I have no experience but I have heard that JD had a problem with frames cracking. Is there any truth to that and if so is it only on certain years/models?
WTW
Posted 11/7/2017 06:53 (#6350411 - in reply to #6350163)

Winkler, Manitoba Canada
Perth - 11/6/2017 21:13

NH- weak frames,good shanks,too many linkages to wear,many small problems not changed in 20 years.

JD 2410s- we like accudepth,good steel in frames,need to do shank maintenance,but overall very happy with the wear, and especially like the field finish, we also like the narrow transport width on the roads we have that’s nice. We have 3 and JD has been good about updates and parts availability.

On the New Holland not being changed in 20 years: I am not aware of any company coming out with a frame that comes close to the ground contour following ability that the 830 has. Kind of ironic for Deere to brag up their depth control with electronics when the frame is not capable of doing what FlexiCoil has been doing for two decades. Correction: Mandako now has a prototype chisel plow that mimics the FlexiCoil.

I had a farmer on the yard this summer that was not happy with his 2410. When he saw our 830 he kind of verbalized his thoughts about why he had not purchased one. Seems he had problems with shanks falling off the unit.
Perth
Posted 11/7/2017 07:53 (#6350525 - in reply to #6350411)

N.C. ND
You sound like someone who has a an 830 and never had a 2410, we welded on 830 but never on 2410; ground contour was good on 830 but at the price of linkage wear then very hard to level, they sell a lot of the 2410s for a reason..
jdironman
Posted 11/7/2017 08:08 (#6350562 - in reply to #6350169)

Nw Iowa
Have a good dealer in our area that handles Wilrich. Any body have experience with them? I am very happy with the deere but for what I do dont need the front casters . I will keep the deere but looking for a second one as we generally have quite a few acres that we wait on manure than are looking at freezing temps as we try to get over it all quickly [nobody wants the manure on too early as you loose the nitrogen]. Had a JD with out them and wings wanted to snowplow so they are nessary on a deere. Because we are sometimes running with alittle frost we need a pretty stout unit.
havin'funfarming
Posted 11/7/2017 08:12 (#6350570 - in reply to #6350525)

Manitoba, Canada
Good to hear about never welding the frame. I wasn’t sure it was an issue. How long have you had the 2410?

While I like the idea of the flexibility of the FlexiCoil design I don’t think there is enough of a benefit on my land to justify the extra wear points on a deep tiller. I think it is a really good idea for an air seeder though where depth control is very important. I imagine on very hilly land it might be worth it for tillage as well though.
Deere3020
Posted 11/7/2017 13:20 (#6351033 - in reply to #6350062)
Subject: PTX 600 isn't a great machine

Prairie of Southern MN
I have quite a bit of seat time ahead of a PTX 600. It's not even in the same category as a 2400 or 2410. Very lightly built, it has less iron in it than JD or Wil-rich field cultivators, and it's supposed to be a primary tillage tool? It does an adequate job in bean stubble, but have experienced many little breakdowns - broken shanks, broken leveling linkage, broken lift linkage. Have not had to do any frame welding...yet.

And to the OP, the 30 footer I've been around still has those front castor wheels.

Another poster mentioned it was a re-branded Flexi-coil. That makes sense, and I wonder if I would think better of the machine running primarily in lighter, dryer plains soils vs. wetter and heavier corn belt soils.
kritzy
Posted 11/8/2017 05:55 (#6352219 - in reply to #6349714)

red river valley se of fargo
I do alot of welding for nieghbors, I see all these guys saying the JD 2410 frames don't break. I can assure you they do. On what I believe is a 48' machine I've had to pretty much totally reinforce every joint on the rear bar. I personally feel like there is no such thing as an unbreakable chisel once you're beyond about 20-25'. High horsepower, turning with them in the ground, and two track tractors with locked up drawbars are terribly hard on things.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)